Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Retrospective

Dark Matter

Prophet
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42026.html

It's actually surprisingly decent. For the most part, it does a good job at informing the masses of the original Fallout. Not a whole lot to see for the folks here, but it's probably still worth checking out since it's one of the few Fallout-related media from a mainstream gaming website that doesn't involve sucking Bethesda's cock or grossly misrepresenting the original Fallouts by using terms like "dated combat system and camera".

The only annoying part was when he says FO2 had a darker theme than the original FO.

SkeleTony

Augur
Pretty nice! I am not sure why you disagree that FO2 was "darker" though. In terms of sheer explicitly dark content it most certainly IS darker than Fallout 1(the darkness often being humorous but still dark nonetheless).

darthdarther

Novice
Dark Matter said:
The only annoying part was when he says FO2 had a darker theme than the original FO.

That isn't just annoying, it's rubbish. I suppose if you take out the Monty Python ho-ho-ho random encounters, they could be equally serious games.

SkeleTony said:
Pretty nice! I am not sure why you disagree that FO2 was "darker" though. In terms of sheer explicitly dark content it most certainly IS darker than Fallout 1(the darkness often being humorous but still dark nonetheless).

The Temple of Trials in FO2 was darker than anything in FO1. I almost didn't continue with the game the first time because of it.

burrie

Scholar
I like these retrospectives. Gametrailers is one of the few sites for whose reviews I'm eagerly waiting before purchasing a game. Made me hold off on buying Farcry 2, as the review mentioned and showed a couple of things that I don't really fancy.

And it made me realise that I recently bought Fallout Tactics, but haven't tried. Time to give it a go.

Pretty good video. Even had Wasteland gameplay. Like the apes discovering the monolith, maybe it will inspire a console tard out there to try out the originals.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Applegate's Breasts said:
Pretty good video. Even had Wasteland gameplay. Like the apes discovering the monolith, maybe it will inspire a console tard out there to try out the originals.

Maybe in several million years, but in the short term all it will inspire is loud bellowing and beating each other over the head with sticks.

Drakron

Arcane
Fallout theme was the day after with the main enemy trying to "unite" humankind into a utter alien entity.

Fallout 2 was a rebuild, there was the NCR and things were moving on beyond surviving into expanding, the main enemy was the past that was trying to make the world go back to the past.

In terms of theme Fallout was darker since survival of isolated groups of humankind is all there is, Fallout 2 had more of a "frontier" look were humankind had survived,rebuild society and was moving towards expansion.

What makes Fallout 2 much less darker was all the easter eggs that remove A LOT of the seriousness of the game.

Kavax

Scholar
I actually liked Fallout 2's tone better. It has a more "pulp" feeling that is very rare in RPG's. (And videogames in general) the original Fallout has some of that too, but not as much as Fallout 2.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
They still cant get into their dumb but well paid heads that ghouls arent mutated humans...
Probably Beth asked them not to destory the cannon... =|

Murk

Arcane
BethesdaLove said:
They still cant get into their dumb but well paid heads that ghouls arent mutated humans...
Probably Beth asked them not to destory the cannon... =|

huh

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
not huh -> wat
They say in the vid that ghouls are mutated humans. Ghouls arent... They are failed FEV victims...

Drakron

Arcane
There is some controversy even among the makers of Fallout games about the origins of ghouls. While Tim Cain said explicitly that ghouls are only a result of radiation, consistently with the "SCIENCE!" of the 1950s, Chris Taylor said that a mix of both radiation and FEV was in play (which would probably mean that there aren't any ghouls outside the Core Region). While Chris Avellone initially supported the latter view in his Fallout Bible, he was later convinced to support the radiation-only version, which is also confirmed in Fallout 3.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ghoul#Controversy

Chris Taylor screws up because of Vault 12 and Necropolis, the Ghouls there predated the Master and so being exposed to Mariposa FEV vats, the only way FEV could be involved was the FEV on West Tek that mutated and became airborne and considering it effected EVERYTHING on the surface its very pointless to argue about it since air currents would spread it across the Earth in weeks and make any argument about it moot.

Circuitous

Novice
BethesdaLove said:
not huh -> wat
They say in the vid that ghouls are mutated humans. Ghouls arent... They are failed FEV victims...

Whether it was caused by radiation or FEV is irrelevant - they're mutated. That's all there is to it.

Kiree

Scholar
Ah, memories. Seeing this makes me wish I hadn't already played Fallout to death.

phanboy_iv said:
Applegate's Breasts said:

Maybe in several million years, but in the short term all it will inspire is loud bellowing and beating each other over the head with sticks.
Good one.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
As far as I know, there is some dialog with Harold, who tells you that he woke up like that after being dipped into FEV. Pure unradiated humans turn into super-mutants, tainted ones into ghouls. Badly radiated ones just die of radiation poisoning. Ergo Tim Cain is a retard. But they are all mutated alright.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
BethesdaLove said:
As far as I know, there is some dialog with Harold, who tells you that he woke up like that after being dipped into FEV. Pure unradiated humans turn into super-mutants, tainted ones into ghouls. Badly radiated ones just die of radiation poisoning. Ergo Tim Cain is a retard. But they are all mutated alright.
Wat.

Only Harold and Talius are FEV created Ghoul-like mutants. And Talius happens to be one of the Vault Dwellers sent out before the PC and was dipped but created a new possibility of failure other than death, and remained unique. Harold was in partial contact with FEV and mutated how he did.

Ghouls on the other hand were created by intense radiation because of the Vault that had the purposefully faulty door. If FEV is involved, that means that the Lieutenant's theory of the unlikely case that the West-Tek facility had still some of the early strains left there and that the nuke that hit it caused it to become airborne and spread throughout the world, altering the immune systems reaction to the pure FEV that along with radiation exposure would hamper the process of becoming a Super Mutant (resulting in the child-level intellect, while pure humans seemed to become superintelligent like the Lieutenant).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
BethesdaLove said:
As far as I know, there is some dialog with Harold, who tells you that he woke up like that after being dipped into FEV.
He wasn't dipped and he's not a ghoul. Like the master, he's one of a kind.

Pure unradiated humans turn into super-mutants, tainted ones into ghouls. Badly radiated ones just die of radiation poisoning. Ergo Tim Cain is a retard.
Pure unradiated humans turn into smart super-mutants, tainted ones into dumb super-mutants. Ghouls are humans who survived extreme radiation. Ergo you are a retard.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Well, I never was a hardcore fan -.-

FUCK!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom