Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SPORE: Chris "Cute" Hecker, remember him.

racofer

Thread Incliner
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/8555.page

Chris Hecker was having strong misgivings about how appealing all this hard science would be to the wider world. "I was the founding member of the 'cute' team," he says with pride. "Ocean [Quigley, Spore's art director] and Will were really the founding members of the 'science' team. Ocean would make the cell game look exactly like a petri dish with all these to-scale animals and Will would say, 'That's the greatest thing I've ever seen!' and some of us were thinking, 'I'm not sure about that.'"

Shield you eyes, the compressed stupidity inside this topic is beyond anything even Bethesda could do (yet). Behold, dumbing down taken to EXTREME levels.

500138623438_lrg.png

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Hardcore science sims don't sell squat. If anything, Hecker's counterbalance helped give the game mass appeal. Bad for the supergeeks, good for the average consumer. Now that the game is generating lots of cash, they'll at least have the option of making something a bit deeper, should the market support it.

Destroid

Arcane
It could still have been cute while retaining the relevence of creature morphology and other gameplay elemenents that were removed.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Destroid said:
...creature morphology and other gameplay elements that were removed.

It was a compromise. They could have stuck to strict science and possibly alienated the broader audience by making it an obvious form of edutainment, or recouped the tens of millions of dollars of development making a game that appealed to a wider audience with the possibility of making a "real creatures" expansion later on. You can't get that far into development and then sink the ship by skewing it to the smallest market segment imaginable.

I can totally see the value in making a spinoff that sticks to scientific rules, but not the initial release. This is the best part:

"As said in the Seed article, apparently poor Hecker was having "Strong misgivings about how all this hard science would appeal to the wider world." The poll on the official forums currently suggests that 75% of the forum users would have preferred a "Science-Spore" while only 6% dislike such an idea. (16 people, compared to the 192 wanting Science-Spore)"

I am betting the breakdown of actual Spore purchasers feels differently. Gotta love it when an insular forum community thinks that it represents the entire fan base.

J1M

Arcane
Making the game about "intelligent" design instead of evolution lost them at least one sale (me).

Destroid

Arcane
I don't see how a more realistic take is incompatible with a fulfilling gameplay experience?

Dire Roach

Prophet
If Spore looked more scientific rather than cute, then:

*Religious zealots would try to get the game banned from their country.
*Next-gen casual gamers would avoid it because it looks like boring edutainment for nerdfags.
*Parents would not buy it for their children because it looks very complicated and probably deals with mature themes.
*Girls would avoid it because it looks too serious or lacks emotional involvement potential.

Cute, cartoony, colorful art direction draws more sales than realism, or so it would seem. Is there any historical example that would prove otherwise?

Destroid

Arcane
Dire Roach said:
*Next-gen casual gamers would avoid it because it looks like boring edutainment for nerdfags.

The current trends for action and racing games aiming for photorealism contradict this. In fact the two biggest racing sim franchises (Forza and GT) are probably two of the more realistic titles available.

RandomLurker

Scholar
So hey, how did making what could possibly have been the greatest game to date into a collection of fucktardedly simple and shallow collection of minigames (each of which worse or at best at a similar level as a free flash game) topped with this lovely "this will fuck them pirates fo' sho'!" DRM (which, as usual, assraped the paying customers while the pirates didn't even notice it) work out for them Spore guys in terms of getting that "'The Sims 2' metacritic score"?

beztytuu1sy4.jpg

Source: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/sims2

beztytuust8.jpg

Source: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/spore

Ayup. Also, this picture is a pretty solid argument in the "Are the gaming journos cockguzzling whores?" debate, but I don't think this is a place where anybody would make any serious argument that they aren't :lol:.

Shannow

Waster of Time
A compromise is meeting in the middleground. Removing any kind of scientific relevance the game may have had and making it into teletubby wonderland is not.
I could have lived without a solid scientific backround if it had improved gameplay and if I had had the possibility to build some gruesome monsters. Their teletubby "cute" design lost at least two customers.

But it was a great hit and half the customers like it, so their "compromise" was obviously a good one...

spectre

Arcane
Oh, so it turns out that this spore thing actualy might have had decent gameplay? Nice.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Shannow said:
But it was a great hit and half the customers like it, so their "compromise" was obviously a good one...

And that's all I'm trying to say. Sure, the game could've have deeper gameplay and stuck to hard science, but my guess is that EA threw a crap-ton of money into usability and market research and found that something a little cuddlier and a lot simpler would result in something with Wii level sales.

If you check the user review scores on GameSpot and IGN, they are a lot closer to the reviewer averages (around 7.5). Methinks Metacritic has been the focus of a lot of fanboy rage these days, what with the LBP and GoW2 nonsense going 'round.

I'm not defending the gameplay. I haven't even played the game because I refuse to purchase something with SecuROM DRM. I'm just saying that it's not surprising at all. If EA had some sense they'd offer up an expansion (free would be nice, but even for five or ten bucks it'd be worth it) to make it more relevant to the science minded fans who've been excited for this game for years and are now disappointed.

Drakron

Arcane
I doubt it, Spore sold on hype alone.

EA simply pushed the game to be completed since development was taking too long, that dumbass might talk about how "cute won" but it seems for me they simply wrap up what they done and send it to be pressed.

RandomLurker

Scholar
bossjimbob said:
If you check the user review scores on GameSpot and IGN, they are a lot closer to the reviewer averages (around 7.5). Methinks Metacritic has been the focus of a lot of fanboy rage these days, what with the LBP and GoW2 nonsense going 'round.

Well, there's also the Amazon reviews, which are even worse on average than those at Metacritic (1.5/5 stars):

beztytuulc6.jpg

Source: http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

As for IGN and GameSpot, they are as mainstream sites as they come, and Spore was a massively hyped mainstream game. If we keep that in mind then 7.5 means "mediocre at best", so yeah, I'd call that a failure.

(I do concede that it's probably a financial success, all thanks to the hype and that casual gamer that everybody loves - the actual gameplay rarely enters into such equation though)

Hory

Erudite
Wow, I've never seen something so badly rated on Amazon.

Ashery

Prophet
Hory said:
Wow, I've never seen something so badly rated on Amazon.

There was a very strong DRM backlash that helped cause a flood of one star Amazon reviews. The other factor being how dumbed down the game was. It was posted about earlier on the Codex.

And I counter your PBF with this.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
one thing to remember about amazon, within a day of release it had like 1500-1600 reviews all with 1 star, and a lot of the people admitted they hadnt even bought the game.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Almost everyone of those 1 star Amazon reviews boils down to "DRM sux!!!1 I'm considering not even pirating this know!!1"

But Spore does deserve a 2 or maybe 3 if you've suffered a head injury.

RuneLancer

Novice
Bah. I haven't been following Spore much recently, so this is news to me. DIsappointing news.

Conway's game of Life can be coded on a TI-80 graphing calculator in 5 minutes and features self-organization. I think I'll stick to that.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually, of the 3,107 reviews dumbed down is only mentioned in 95 of them (dumbing down only in 7), and it's in some positive reviews (falsely) countering the claim. Hence the Almost

DRM is mentioned in 2,409 reviews.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
HanoverF said:
Almost everyone of those 1 star Amazon reviews boils down to "DRM sux!!!1 I'm considering not even pirating this know!!1"

But Spore does deserve a 2 or maybe 3 if you've suffered a head injury.

The concept of Spore was great. The problem is that the execution falls terribly short. The Creature Stage is my favorite part because I'm running around collecting parts I want to make the critter I want. However, by the time I collect everything I want, the stage is pretty much over and nearly everything I did don't seem to do much later on in the game. There's not a hell of a lot of continuation of what all you did from one stage to the next when it comes to the main purposes of the Creature Stage.

Spore is a big "Could've Been, Should've Been".

Destroid

Arcane
Also would have been interesting if they had explored more possibilities with internal systems such as differing systems of circulation, endo/exo skeletons, low/high gravity worlds, different atmosphere composition and the consequences of these changes on your creature and it's society.

Everything I have read indicates that the 'game' aspects of spore are rudimentary at best so being more of a science toy likely would have worked in the games favour.

To be honest, as it stands, Master of Orion 2 has a more comprehensive creature creator in terms of what actually matters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom