Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex

Perhaps someday you'll develop sufficient dignity and deceny to feel ashamed of such absurd melodramatics.

It shouldn't need to be said, but the use of Steam as a digital distribution platform is 100% voluntary. Distribution itself is generally of least concern; most developers/publishers desire foremost the publicity and exposure that only Steam can provide, and many also want to benefit from Steam's DRM (a fact that's almost always overlooked). I can't imagine what sort of bizarre pretzel your brain must be twisted into if you believe that any entity is ethically entitled to publicity and exposure via some other entity.

"BUT THEY'LL ACHIEVE FEWER SALES IF THEY DON'T DISTRIBUTE THROUGH STEAM!" That's true. Thing is, the additional money they stand to earn by being on Steam (in contrast to self-distribution) far exceeds Steam's 30% cut of the gross. They're still earning much more than they otherwise would, thanks to Steam. There is no logical way to argue that the 30% cut is "too high" in this context. It could just as easily be argued that 30% is too low, because your criteria (and theirs) are entirely arbitrary.
But why can't Steam reduce their cut to 12%?

SOME AIDS ANIME SHIT

Because Valve actually offers things & services, they pay people to do linux development.

If Valve could do 12% then Epic should be able to do 2%.....

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Perhaps someday you'll develop sufficient dignity and deceny to feel ashamed of such absurd melodramatics.

It shouldn't need to be said, but the use of Steam as a digital distribution platform is 100% voluntary. Distribution itself is generally of least concern; most developers/publishers desire foremost the publicity and exposure that only Steam can provide, and many also want to benefit from Steam's DRM (a fact that's almost always overlooked). I can't imagine what sort of bizarre pretzel your brain must be twisted into if you believe that any entity is ethically entitled to publicity and exposure via some other entity.

"BUT THEY'LL ACHIEVE FEWER SALES IF THEY DON'T DISTRIBUTE THROUGH STEAM!" That's true. Thing is, the additional money they stand to earn by being on Steam (in contrast to self-distribution) far exceeds Steam's 30% cut of the gross. They're still earning much more than they otherwise would, thanks to Steam. There is no logical way to argue that the 30% cut is "too high" in this context. It could just as easily be argued that 30% is too low, because your criteria (and theirs) are entirely arbitrary.
But why can't Steam reduce their cut to 12%?

2ba3a9e4d61cb5fa736ee93e4ef8e21098869589v2_hq.jpg

Should a digital billboard in Times Square charge same amount for its services as a wooden billboard in the middle of the desert?

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Should a digital billboard in Times Square charge same amount for its services as a wooden billboard in the middle of the desert?
But if the poster is only available on the wooden one, people will come to the desert to see it!

Most people will just look at other posters and ignore the one in the desert.
This. Fuck the desert, fuck the buzzards, fuck the cactus. Doesn't matter how amazing the signage, I'm not going to Cuckville to see it.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Indeed, here's a REMINDER THAT THE LOWER CUT ON THE EPIC STORE HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN AS ENOUGH TO BECOME AN EXCLUSIVE ON THEIR PLATFORM. EPIC INVESTS MONEY INTO THE GAMES THAT BECOME EXCLUSIVES, THEY DON'T JUST DECIDE TO TAKE LESS, THEY GIVE AWAY.

If they didn't, nobody would chose to go to the epic store because the lower cut isn't worth the loss in sales.

Tehdagah

Arcane
And none of you guys answered the question. Still waiting.

Indeed, here's a REMINDER THAT THE LOWER CUT ON THE EPIC STORE HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN AS ENOUGH TO BECOME AN EXCLUSIVE ON THEIR PLATFORM. EPIC INVESTS MONEY INTO THE GAMES THAT BECOME EXCLUSIVES, THEY DON'T JUST DECIDE TO TAKE LESS, THEY GIVE AWAY.

If they didn't, nobody would chose to go to the epic store because the lower cut isn't worth the loss in sales.
Developers have 100% the right to accept the investment.

Thane Solus

Arcane
12% is too much for steam, 20% would be magical. It would kill Epic store in one shot;)))

Not a big fan of Steam , but so far is the best, even if i dont use it that much.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Indeed, here's a REMINDER THAT THE LOWER CUT ON THE EPIC STORE HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN AS ENOUGH TO BECOME AN EXCLUSIVE ON THEIR PLATFORM.

You don't need to be an exclusive to get the low cut, do you? So obviously they needed extra incentives for exclusivity.

Therefore:

It's not only about being exclusive or not. You can be on Epic without being exclusive. But hey, I see you'd be OK if nobody would go to their store, exclusive or not. Just another steamtard who'd be perfectly fine if all games were released on Steam only, because after all Steam=PC and anything else is not PC even though it runs on PC.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
But I have to DOWNLOAD the Epic launcher to play some exclusives

{edgygif.fag}

:nocountryforshitposters:

Download, install unsecure client without proper store apparatus, give away data to Chicken Chow Mein 10cent, put credit card out onto the internet again because that always feels safe and seems like a smart idea.

Finish your thought process before posting. If you have no thought process, stop posting.

V_K

Arcane
12% is too much for steam, 20% would be magical. It would kill Epic store in one shot;)))
Effectively, that's what Steam actually gets because of allowing the devs to generate keys for free and resell them on other sites at zero commission for Steam. Sweeney's whole rhetoric is not only obnoxious, but it's also based on a lot of lies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Download, install unsecure client without proper store apparatus, give away data to Chicken Chow Mein 10cent, put credit card out onto the internet again because that always feels safe and seems like a smart idea.

There are real reasons to dislike using another client, like Epic's lack of features. However sounding like my scared of the internet grandpa isn't one of them. "But Amazon will know my credit info!!!" he tells me, after handing his card to some random 20 year old waitress at the chicken hut.

Also who the fuck cares if China finds out you play video games? Do you think that's some kind of crucial government secret?

Tehdagah

Arcane

There are real reasons to dislike using another client, like Epic's lack of features. However sounding like my scared of the internet grandpa isn't one of them. "But Amazon will know my credit info!!!" he tells me, after handing his card to some random 20 year old waitress at the chicken hut.

Also who the fuck cares if China finds out you play video games? Do you think that's some kind of crucial government secret?
Aren't you afraid of waking up on a bloody bathtub with one or two organs missing?

Dexter

Arcane

It's always amazing to me how far some people will go to either act like apologists or shills for even something as retarded as a games store that openly admits it despises customers, doesn't want their "toxic feedback" and isn't acting in their best interest. (Not that this is reserved to Epic, he's doing the same in the "Google Stadia" thread and some others).

And yes, sticking your credit card in a reader to pay for something at the supermarket or pay for a meal is totally the same as handing out all your personal information and payment details to a service known to have created millions of accounts based on leaked E-mail lists, even though the owners of said accounts have never heard of or used Epic before and have been hacked several times before with user data leaking: https://wccftech.com/epic-games-forums-hacked-change-passwords/ which is also generally known as a popular and easy hacker target similar to Blizzard.

It's totally only "scared of the internet grandpa's" that don't input and leave their personal details and payment information on every website and service that exists, it's totally paranoia and not common sense and good practice to do so to minimize personal harm.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's always amazing to me how far some people will go to either act like apologists or shills for even something as retarded as a games store that openly admits it despises customers, doesn't want their "toxic feedback" and isn't acting in their best interest. (Not that this is reserved to Epic, he's doing the same in the "Google Stadia" thread and some others).

I dont like Epic much, I just don't like ANY client much. And I think Stadia is pure poison, so I have no idea wtf you're talking about.

It's totally only "scared of the internet grandpa's" that don't input and leave their personal details and payment information on every website and service that exists, it's totally paranoia and not common sense and good practice to do so to minimize personal harm.

Pretty much actually, yeah. Don't store your card details there like an asshole, but using a one time payment? All these sites use the same encryption services and in the one in a million chance something did happen your card's protection services would make it right quickly anyway. Yes you do sound like a paranoid grandpa, sorry.

There's plenty of shit to bitch about with Epic without sounding like a Luddite.

Dexter

Arcane
I dont like Epic much, I just don't like ANY client much. And I think Stadia is pure poison, so I have no idea wtf you're talking about.
90% of your posts ITT are either outright shilling for Epic or acting like a huge apologist for it and everything they do.

Pretty much actually, yeah. Don't store your card details there like an asshole, but using a one time payment? All these sites use the same encryption services and in the one in a million chance something did happen your card's protection services would make it right quickly anyway. Yes you do sound like a paranoid grandpa, sorry.

There's plenty of shit to bitch about with Epic without sounding like a Luddite.
LOL, nvm you're just :retarded:, carry on.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Who cares how you sound if you're right?

Calling anyone here a luddite is facepalming retardation, how do you not have a dumbfuck tag DalekFlay ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
90% of your posts ITT are either outright shilling for Epic or acting like a huge apologist for it and everything they do.

Saying shit like "I think exclusives were the only way they could compete" doesn't mean I like it. Saying "if Stadia works like they say it does I bet Joe Schmoe goes for it" doesn't mean I like it. Some of you not having the mental capacity to understand that isn't really my problem.

Dexter

Arcane

Saying shit like "I think exclusives were the only way they could compete" doesn't mean I like it. Saying "if Stadia works like they say it does I bet Joe Schmoe goes for it" doesn't mean I like it. Some of you not having the mental capacity to understand that isn't really my problem.
You had a fit only a few pages back over people rightfully complaining that Epic bought Exclusivity for Kickstarted/Crowdfunded game Shenmue III, even though they were promised Steam keys and Deep Silver even indicated rethinking it after the backlash, then you called it a "fucking overreaction". I don't think "Devil's Advocate" quite covers it anymore. There's only so many times you can defend them for pulling a shitty anti-consumer move and buying off Muh Excl000sives before "doesn't mean I like it" rings hollow.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You had a fit only a few pages back over people rightfully complaining that Epic bought Exclusivity for Kickstarted Shenmue III even though they were promised Steam keys and Deep Silver even indicated rethinking it and then called it a "fucking overreaction", I don't think "Devil's Advocate" quite covers it anymore. There's only so many times you can defend them for pulling a shitty anti-consumer move and buying off Muh Excl000sives before "doesn't mean I like it" rings hollow.

Someone said they didn't actually promise Steam keys in the ad and I said IF that was true then the whole thing was an overreaction. But yes, do please keep proving you have zero reading comprehension.

I'm sure you'll find some other way to assume anyone not parroting your bullshit is "muh Epic apologyst!!!" while putting up more foil to block China's mind control rays, though. Dont let me stand in your way.

"The 30% store tax usually exceeds the entire profits of the developer who built the game that’s sold."
That one statement has a lot of fun in it. Using the word tax to piss people off, and saying Valve's cut exceeds the profits of the developer (Which is disingenuous in itself because that isn't also accounting for shit on Valve's end like handling payment systems, actual taxes for different states/countries, servers for hosting the game, forums, etc etc etc. The developer's 70% is being cut down due to expenses while Valve's 30% is all profit). Case in point, look at how he presents it when talking about Epic Store taking money from starving developers just a few twits later.

"If the Epic strategy either succeeds in building a second major storefront for PC games with an 88/12 revenue split"
Revenue split! That doesn't get me riled up at all like store tax! Why, revenue split sounds nice and friendly. Developers and Epic working in peaceful and harmonious cooperation to bring me, Johnny Consumer, the games I crave!

Codex Year of the Donut
Still waiting for the reduced cut to benefit consumers.
If Epic is taking far less why don't the games cost less?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom