Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

https://www.polygon.com/nintendo/20...yale-website-takedown-dmca-royale-infernoplus

It’s a-he, Infringio!

By Owen S. Good Jun 22, 2019, 3:12pm EDTSHARE
Screen_Shot_2019_06_22_at_3.01.18_PM.0.png

Infringio and Copyright Infringio on the opening screen of DMCA Royale
Screenshot/Inferno Plus
Perhaps you heard this week about Mario Royale, the browser-based game that turned a Super Mario Bros. world into a 75-player race. Perhaps you thought to yourself, “Aaaaand this guy is getting a C&D in 3 … 2 …” Perhaps the developer did, too, because shortly after facing the steely gaze of Nintendo’s lawyers, it’s back as DMCA Royale.

Recap: Last week, Mario Royale was found by Kotaku, and its creator, InfernoPlus, was interviewed by Vice. In his game, hordes of players tore through one of three worlds (so, a multi-stage race) in a race to finish first, and while they couldn’t bump into one another they could affect (and even eliminate) others’ progress. Forgiving some serious input lag, it was a brilliant idea, brilliantly inspired by Tetris 99’s proof that anything can be battle royale-ified.

But, with great popularity comes great lawyering. InfernoPlus indicated an awareness of fan games’ short lifespan when they involve Nintendo properties, and appears to have had a plan ready. Version 2.0.0 was “patched” yesterday (with a one-word patch note: “Fuck”) and de-Mariofied. Same day, the game came back and “almost all missing assets have now been recreated by seal team six.” It’s a-miracle!

DMCA Royale now involves the characters Infringio and his brother, Copyright Infringio. All of the assets have been changed to look like a knock-off someone’s grandmother bought from a nice man at the flea market. But as of writing, there are still 691 players online in games.

And patch 2.0.1 delivers a couple of quality-of-life upgrades, too: the game may be launched with the A button on a gamepad (miraculously, Mar— uh, DMCA Royale is a browser game that fully supports gamepads) and there’s a “kid friendly/streamer mode” that strips out players’ self-bestowed names. If you’re unclear why players’ names could be a problem, the “N” button that activates it should give you a hint.

Who knows if the changes are enough to ward off Nintendo’s lawyer-mans; while InfernoPlus’ fear of being sued is no doubt genuine, lawyers also hate work as much as you or I do, so whatever point could be proven by suing may not be worth the bother. InfernoPlus’ addition of “lore” and the changed assets seem to be deliberate enough to support his contention that this is a parody and therefore fair use. But I’m not a lawyer.

You may remember Super Mario Crossover, a flash game that was all the rage when it launched back in (feels really old) 2010. That sucker is still going strong on Newgrounds, and creator Jay Pavlina (of Exploding Rabbit) was able to Kickstart a knockoff called Super Retro Squad. Though that game effectively died in 2014 (later returning as Glitch Strikers, but that still has not launched) everything has still survived, unmolested by lawyerly nastygrams. Perhaps DMCA Royale and Infringio are different enough that people can go back to playing this free game.

Last edited:

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
https://retrogames.biz/the-c64

THEC64, £109.99

WHAT'S INCLUDED

• The C64 Home Computer
  • Full-Size Working Keyboard
  • Micro Switch USB Joystick
    • 1.5m lead & 8 buttons
  • 1.2m HDMI cable
  • 1.2m USB Power cable
  • 2amp USB AC Adapter
  • Quick Guide
  • 64 Games (pre-installed)

64 GAMES INCLUDED
Alleykat, Anarchy, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Avenger, Battle Valley, Bear Bovver, Boulder Dash, Bounder, California Games, Chips Challenge, Confuzion, Cosmic Causeway, Cyberdyne Warrior, Cybernoid II, Deflektor, Destroyer, Everyone’s a Wally, Firelord, Galencia, Gateway to Apshai, Gribbly’s Day Out, Gridrunner (VIC 20), Heartland, Herobotix, Highway Encounter, Hover Bovver, Impossible Mission, Impossible Mission II, IO, Iridis Alpha, Jumpman, Mega Apocalypse, Mission AD, Monty Mole, Monty on the Run, Nebulus, Netherworld, Nodes of Yesod, Paradroid, Pitstop II, Planet of Death, Psychedelia (VIC 20), Ranarama, Robin of the Wood, Silicon Warrior, Skate Crazy, Speedball 2, Spindizzy, Steel, Street Sports Baseball, Street Sports Basketball, Summer Games II (includes Summer Games events), Super Cycle, Sword of Fargoal, Temple of Apshai Trilogy, The Arc of Yesod, Thing Bounces Back, Thing on a Spring, Trailblazer, Uridium, Who Dares Wins II, Winter Games, World Games, Zynaps

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Cool! If you post the words "Earthworm Jim", Hervé will get a Google Alert. Hé mon pote, pourquoi ne pas vous donner un rabais de 75% à vos jeux sur Steam? Laissez également Nightdive Studios remasteriser votre catalogue.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Oh well i know where those awesome bioware fans went, to CD Project:)))) The cutscene, decent story, console gameplay maker. Its all about family in the end.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jordan Mechner's book The Making of Prince of Persia will get a hardcover collection's edition release to celebrate 30th anniversary of PoP: https://www.jordanmechner.com/prince-of-persia-30th-anniversary/

And he implies something game related is in the working...

A 30th anniversary note to Prince of Persia fans

Thirty years ago today, I was at my Apple II, crunching on a six-week deadline to finish Prince of Persia by mid-July to ship in September.

I know this because I wrote it in my journal. If I hadn't, those details would have long since faded from my memory, along with the 6502 hex op codes I once knew by heart.

In 1989, I could never have imagined that Prince of Persia would last this long — much less have foreseen it being ported to a future generation of game consoles from the makers of the Walkman. (Or to the big screen by the producer of Beverly Hills Cop.)

To all of you who've played, watched, and supported PoP over the years — thank you! I've been especially moved by the things you've shared about the ways PoP has touched your lives. Your kind and encouraging words have been an inspiration to me.

Many of you have asked when there will be a new PoP game (or movie, or TV series). If you feel that it's been a long time since the last one, you're not alone. I wish I had a magic dagger to accelerate the process — it would have been poetic to time a major game announcement with this 30th-anniversary year. But I'm only a small part of a bigger picture.

There is one PoP announcement I can make, and am happy to share with you. Stripe Press, an imprint specializing in books about innovation and technological advancement, will publish a hardcover collector's edition of "The Making of Prince of Persia" — my 1980s original game development journals, newly illustrated with notes, sketches, work-in-progress screen shots, and as many visual features as we have the bandwidth to add by our target "gold master" date of September 2019 (30 years after Apple II PoP signed out of Broderbund QA). Oh, and there'll be an audiobook.

What I cherish about books
For me as a kid who dreamed of creating mass entertainment, in the pre-internet days, when you still needed a printing press to make a book and a film lab to make a movie, the Apple II was a game-changer: a technological innovation that empowered every user to innovate. Suddenly, I didn't need adult permission (or funding) to tell a story of adventure that might reach thousands — and ultimately millions — of people.

That direct connection between author and public is still possible today for small indie games — and for books. By contrast, making a major movie or AAA game requires millions of dollars and hundreds of people. It's a thrilling ride, and the rewards can be great, but by nature it's beyond the scope of what one person or even a tight-knit creative team can accomplish alone.

So it felt very much in the magical 8-bit spirit when Stripe's co-founder Patrick Collison emailed me to propose this book, and less than two months later, we're doing it. For me personally, in the midst of longer-term projects whose announcement is still a ways off, it's refreshing to add one whose timeline is reckoned in months rather than years.

In 2012, when the PoP source code disks I thought I'd lost turned up in my dad's closet, I discovered that an incredible retro-gaming fan and archivist community has been keeping the flame of early game development knowledge alive. The Internet Archive and Strong Museum of Play (which houses work materials and artifacts from my past projects) are already on board to help us make the collector's edition of "The Making of Prince of Persia" as feature-rich as possible.

As we move toward beta, we'll document and share our progress online via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. With luck, we'll be able to bring boxes of printed hardcover books to PAX East in spring 2020 — 30 years after the PC release of Prince of Persia (which is the one most people remember). I hope to see many of you there in person.

Until then, here's a fateful time-capsule post (and photo) from the week PoP went alpha, thirty years ago. Reading it now, the drollest part is that I still thought (as usual) I was about two weeks from the finish line.

And then there's the mullet.

July 26, 1989
Left a stack of disks three inches high on my desk for Brian. Eleven for sales, three for QA, plus seven more. Hope they work.

I played the whole game straight through for the first time ever, start to finish, cheat keys turned off. Made it with seconds to spare (my hour ran out while I was fighting the Grand Vizier).

You know what? It was fun!

There's a level of tension generated when you know you can't cheat, which is completely absent from the normal playtesting I do. By the time that final battle rolled around, I had a solid hour invested, and damned if I was going to lose!

Still a few bugs — two weeks of work, like I said — but it's a game, and a damn good one. I'm content. I'm ready to go river rafting.

Join the anniversary celebration and tell us about your personal experiences with Prince of Persia.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Maximum autism achieved: A few years ago I posted a video here about how an Atari 2600 emulator had been made in Minecraft, achieving about 15 FPH (yes, an hour).

Now that emulator has been updated so that the framerate is roughly 1 FPS.

Gerrard

Arcane
Maximum autism achieved: A few years ago I posted a video here about how an Atari 2600 emulator had been made in Minecraft, achieving about 15 FPH (yes, an hour).

Now that emulator has been updated so that the framerate is roughly 1 FPS.

How is this "vanilla Minecraft" when he's using what is essentially a mod with those custom command blocks?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://techraptor.net/content/planet-explorers-multiplayer-code-deleted
The Planet Explorers multiplayer game code has been accidentally deleted and the developers have determined that it would be infeasible for them to reconstruct it. As a result, they will be making the game free in the near future as they work towards releasing their next game.

If you haven’t played Planet Explorers, it’s a game that has an all too familiar premise: players get plopped down into a world that they can explore and deform however they like. In this particular case, the year is 2287 and one of Earth’s first colony ships has crash-landed on a mysterious planet. Players must explore, gather materials, and build themselves a new home on a world filled with strange alien life.

It’s certainly a premise that has been done before and some of the Steam reviews state that the game feels like it isn’t entirely fleshed out. However, some others state that it was still plenty of fun despite the overall lack of polish on the product. A portion of the community surely enjoyed playing it with their friends, but that is no longer possible as the Planet Explorers multiplayer functionality has been permanently broken.

The game’s lobby server somehow had its code irrevokably deleted according to the dev team in a news post on the game’s Steam Community page. A software called “U-Link” was utilized in getting multiplayer working with this game but said software is now unfortunately defunct. Essentially, the developers would have to re-create a major portion of the game’s code from scratch — and they don’t have access to the original tools used to do it.

Consequently, the people of Pathea Games are going to be making Planet Explorers free starting next week. They’re also going to be looking into if and how they can make the source code for the game publicly available.

In the meantime, Pathea Games will be working towards leveraging their experience into making Planet Explorers 2. If you’d like to pick up the first game, it’s probably best to add it to your wishlist on Steam and wait for the price to drop to zero next week.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, it's fun enough to muck about in single player.
Damn good looking planet, really evokes that alien feel.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://techraptor.net/content/planet-explorers-multiplayer-code-deleted
The Planet Explorers multiplayer game code has been accidentally deleted and the developers have determined that it would be infeasible for them to reconstruct it. As a result, they will be making the game free in the near future as they work towards releasing their next game.

If you haven’t played Planet Explorers, it’s a game that has an all too familiar premise: players get plopped down into a world that they can explore and deform however they like. In this particular case, the year is 2287 and one of Earth’s first colony ships has crash-landed on a mysterious planet. Players must explore, gather materials, and build themselves a new home on a world filled with strange alien life.

It’s certainly a premise that has been done before and some of the Steam reviews state that the game feels like it isn’t entirely fleshed out. However, some others state that it was still plenty of fun despite the overall lack of polish on the product. A portion of the community surely enjoyed playing it with their friends, but that is no longer possible as the Planet Explorers multiplayer functionality has been permanently broken.

The game’s lobby server somehow had its code irrevokably deleted according to the dev team in a news post on the game’s Steam Community page. A software called “U-Link” was utilized in getting multiplayer working with this game but said software is now unfortunately defunct. Essentially, the developers would have to re-create a major portion of the game’s code from scratch — and they don’t have access to the original tools used to do it.

Consequently, the people of Pathea Games are going to be making Planet Explorers free starting next week. They’re also going to be looking into if and how they can make the source code for the game publicly available.

In the meantime, Pathea Games will be working towards leveraging their experience into making Planet Explorers 2. If you’d like to pick up the first game, it’s probably best to add it to your wishlist on Steam and wait for the price to drop to zero next week.

Well this has been on my wishlist for a while and I haven't really been interested in the multiplayer aspects, so... yay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom