Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

SlyFoxx

Educated
Patriot...already testing my patience and I'm only beginning mission 3. Basic game physics like sword not colliding with solid brushes...well that's out the door. Add a cramped room and ...well you get the idea. Accessible city windows made to be as inaccessible as possible. Bots that can't be extinguished. Menu music will be heard a billion times on re-load chosen to be as annoying as possible. Scripted events that are easily broken...you need that key but you left a KO'd guard in the wrong place and now you'll never get out of here. But once you do figure out how you broke the mission you're faced with a pack of guards so fast they make a Haunt on coke seem like he's just out for a stroll AND to top it off they each have 1,000,000 hit points and are immune to your sizable flash bomb collection that you were saving for the end because you just knew some fucked up shit was coming your way.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I deleted "Patriot" days ago. No reason to keep it around as it did everything conceivable to annoy me and detract from the experience.

Maybe if someone would waste spend the time to de-bloat the mission, it might end up being enjoyable.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Russian modders have the boldest imaginations. But when when they go wrong, they really go wrong. I played King's Story and enjoyed it until I didn't.

marbleman

Educated
With Patriot coming out, another mission's release was almost unnoticed: Deadly Cure by Korthrak.
It's the author's first FM, and for the first one it's pretty solid. There's a bit of audiolog syndrome here and there, and the loot goal is rather steep. Otherwise, it's a nice ride reminiscent of
Forbidden Rites or Hidden Agenda

nicked

Educated
So my "burnout" didn't last very long and I started working on a 20th Anniversary mission. Then it got too big and out of hand and I ran out of cells. So now I'm replacing complex geometry with custom objects to save cells, meaning it's no longer eligible for the contest. So I guess I'll just aim to release it alongside the contest, or just before/after depending when I finish. What a rollercoaster of emotions it's been...

nicked

Educated
Depends on the mission. There's a lot of factors that could contribute to the perception of oversensitive AI.

A mission author may have actually tweaked the AI to have better hearing, vision etc.
There might be an excess of metal/tile/gravel surfaces which, when combined with less-than-optimal AI placement could result in AIs being alerted when you haven't realised.
There might be bad roombrushing, meaning an AI hears you when you think they can't.
Lights with no radius set can mean you are more visible than you would expect to be.
Or if you've spent more time playing fan missions than the original game, you may simply have been exposed to more AI quirks during fan missions than OMs, despite them technically being there all along.

nicked

Educated
It was less the actual size of the level and more the complexity of the geometry. I tend to build to semi-finished quality as I go, rather than blocking out rooms in rough first. In this case, that meant lots of things in rooms made of terrain that I would have used an object for if it wasn't for the contest, e.g. pointy roof decorations that were just spewing cells into the sky. An hour or so in Blender and I've reduced the cell count by about 10,000 (but invalidated it for the contest).

Mikeal

Arcane
So I finished Eclipsed pretty funny mision 9/10 would bring apocalypse to world once again. I love how it is easy to break this mission just by jumping in right places. But I have one question. How to complete mission with finding out what happened in the city?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
So I finished Eclipsed pretty funny mision 9/10 would bring apocalypse to world once again. I love how it is easy to break this mission just by jumping in right places. But I have one question. How to complete mission with finding out what happened in the city?

There are six books scattered around the place. Reading them (dunno how many are required) should tick off the objective. At least one of them is in a secret area.

Mikeal

Arcane
Well i'm playing in "Lost in the Far Edges" and I have a problem. After leaving starting flat I can't go back, there is something like invinsible wall there which prevents me from reentering. Is it bug or intentional?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I have no idea. For some reason this FM is not in my archive, the main download link for it is dead and I can barely recall the mission myself.

Hopefully someone else can answer this, but I do recall that it was plagued by poor level design decisions.

Max_b5

Augur
Same author as Keeper of Inifnity. Do I have to say more? :M It looks gorgeous though so I'll give him that. :incline:

Psych0sis

Educated
New mission from Bidet man, and needless to say it's fucking awful, my thoughts are in the TTLG thread

Divinity: Original Sin
Well i'm playing in "Lost in the Far Edges" and I have a problem. After leaving starting flat I can't go back, there is something like invinsible wall there which prevents me from reentering. Is it bug or intentional?

It is too sensitive. It's one of those missions you have to savescum a lot because you have to be extra accurate to execute jumps, mantling, etc. It's made by the same author of keeper o infinity. It feels really strange as a thief mission because the buildings look like very high skyscrapers that do not match the normal city layout we're used too. It looks like a dream-version of the city. In the end, it's a showcase of graphics and cumbersome gameplay. Also, very linear, but i can forgive that since it was a contest mission.

I have no idea. For some reason this FM is not in my archive, the main download link for it is dead and I can barely recall the mission myself.

http://www.taffersparadise.co.uk/thief2mission/LostInTheFarEdgesV1.2ENG.zip

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

That is exactly the link I mean by "main download link".

I click that link, and I get a blank screen in my browser. I try clicking other links there, and I get a download request as normal. Force-downloading that link leaves me with a 35Kb file.

But considering all that's been said, it's not worth the effort. But thanks anyway.

Divinity: Original Sin

That is exactly the link I mean by "main download link".

I click that link, and I get a blank screen in my browser. I try clicking other links there, and I get a download request as normal. Force-downloading that link leaves me with a 35Kb file.

But considering all that's been said, it's not worth the effort. But thanks anyway.

Sorry. It's been a long time since i downloaded any thief missions, and since I thought you download mission from southquater, I just put the link here... anyway, mission is bad, I have the file, but wouldn't recommend.

Anyway:

Psych0sis

Educated
it's a great second mission, and now much better than the first stages of beta were by a long shot. hopefully it gets more attention than bidet man's shitty mission pack.

Fun fact, his other WIPs (he has many :negative:) are probably even better, can not wait for this dude to get off his ass and release them, they've all been in the backburner since like 2001.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom