Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

MAXXED out my points using that CRAZY strat which allowed me to farm 50 000 points in less than an hour using autoclicker.
NICE.
Added 100 levels to my steam account.
DD0AQ6Q.png
Damn it. That finally pushed me over the line into whining to Steam to look at my busted points since I haven't earned a single coupon yet since they cut me down to 100 max. Goddamn fucking corgis. :outrage:
Should be interesting anyway, I can't remember the last time I used support on Steam so this'll give me an idea of how on the ball they are.

bellbell

Novice
Max points for me is 77059.
Ill buy some games today to get my grandprix badge to level 1000.
I understand that Max points is 77059. I havn't quite caught what you meant by
MAXXED out my points using that CRAZY strat which allowed me to farm 50 000 points in less than an hour using autoclicker.
this. So you MAXXED your Max points or only boost points? I understand how this year's Steam's social experiment called Summer 2019 Gran Prix works, I'm just not sure if I understood you correctly.

I can't find the words to describe thoughts and impressions on this event. On the one hand I'm astonished by Steam's capacity of inventing new ways to make people part with their money. On the other hand I'm devastated of how stupid people behave when their consumer's part takes over. Myself included. Mind-boggling. I'm spending two hours of my time these days just to watch it - much more time that I can or should sacrifice - reading Steam boards and keeping an eye on the Steam market - it's half horror show half Monty Pithon's Flying Circus. Someone's getting A Master Degree on this.

Last edited:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn it. That finally pushed me over the line into whining to Steam to look at my busted points since I haven't earned a single coupon yet since they cut me down to 100 max. Goddamn fucking corgis. :outrage:
Should be interesting anyway, I can't remember the last time I used support on Steam so this'll give me an idea of how on the ball they are.

Who do you even whine at about this? Let me know how it turns out, I'm in the same boat.

PrettyDeadman

Max points for me is 77059.
Ill buy some games today to get my grandprix badge to level 1000.
I understand that Max points is 77059. I havn't quite caught what you meant by
this. So you MAXXED your Max points or only boost points? I understand how this year's Steam's social experiment called Summer 2019 Gran Prix works, I'm just not sure if I understood you correctly.

I can't find the words to describe thoughts and impressions on this event. On the one hand I'm astonished by Steam's capacity of inventing new ways to make people part with their money. On the other hand I'm devastated of how stupid people behave when their consumer's part takes over. Myself included. Mind-boggling. I'm spending two hours of my time these days just to watch it - much more time that I can or should sacrifice - reading Steam boards and keeping an eye on the Steam market - it's half horror show half Monty Pithon's Flying Circus. Someone's getting A Master Degree on this.
At the moment I discovered how to fast farm points I had ~ 20 000 farmed out of max 70 000 allowed for me (calculated based on money spend on previous lunar fest and my max spendings on steam account).
I've earn ~50000 points and spend them on boost (which makes them usable at the pit stop).

Who do you even whine at about this? Let me know how it turns out, I'm in the same boat.
I just went to Steam support in general. There was some generic "Account info, sale whatever" area I wandered in to and got a text box to bitch in. I don't have very high hopes, I imagine they'll do absolutely nothing (Or fix it without retroactively giving points/tokens after I've missed like a week of it) but eh.

Gerrard

Arcane
For 2 days now it's telling me to wait until the next day to claim my points because I've reached max.
This is honestly the worst fucking "game" they made so far.

Ivan

Arcane
NICE.
DD0AQ6Q.png

I thought spending $ on games was the only way to increase points cap? sure you didn't spend so much to get to 77k?

PrettyDeadman

NICE.
DD0AQ6Q.png

I thought spending $ on games was the only way to increase points cap? sure you didn't spend so much to get to 77k?
Ive alredy spent enough to get my limit to 100k+

Latelistener

Arcane
To be honest, this sale is so bad that there are many games without any discount or it's less than what we had on the winter sale.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Bought a dozen or so games for the price of 2 regular games and got my steam level to 120. Not bad for this year's summer event. Corgi winning everything is bullshit though.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So far, I bought 0 games.

Update: I have now bought my first game in this Steam sale: Arcanum - Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

I had it in my GOG library for eons but somehow I've missed to let this masterpiece inseminate my Steam library. How could I allow such a grave oversight to happen? I must now embark on a chair-bound pilgrimage and finish the game 7 times without UAP as a gun slinger to wash away my sins.

:dead:

Modron

Arcane
Some people say this literally every sale, because it depends on what you're looking for and what you already own.
It kind of does feel like new releases are taking on average longer to reach 75% off sales and a lot of the time this is just base game with complete versions and dlc not marked down as high more often. Not to mention a lot of previously heavily discounted games are going as steeply discounted. Take Dishonored 1 for example it hasn't dipped below 75% in more recent sales despite going their several times in the past. Honestly feels like you get much better deals just checking steam every day for daily deals/midweek/weekend deals than participating in winter/summer sales.

I think publishers have caught on to people going into buying frenzies and don't quite mark things down as much in the big sales as they would have in the past.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think publishers have caught on to people going into buying frenzies and don't quite mark things down as much in the big sales as they would have in the past.

I definitely think for years now they have been hesitant to go under $20 too quickly, but I don't think that's really a bad thing. For a genuinely good "AAA" game I think $20 is a good baseline for quite a while. It's always a balancing act though of course, between more sales for less or less sales for more. I think Shovel Knight is an interesting example where they kept the price "high" for a very long time and did well with it. It's hard to say what's better for every game.

I know back in the day I used to buy damn near every "AAA" RPG and FPS that went below $10, but I learned my lesson and stopped doing that. Maybe others did as well, so it no longer brings in as much cash.

Sentinel

Arcane
Valve has released CAD files for the Index VR Headset to let people create their own modifications. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/IndexHardware

You knew that Valve was going to support modding for its Index VR headset when it included a "frunk" just for accessories, but now the company is offering some of the tools you need to make those mods. It's releasing CAD files that can help you model accessories for the headset itself, the base station and the controllers. They're not just basic blueprints -- there are "inclusion zone" models to help you avoid interfering with sensors, and sample accessories give you an idea of what's possible.

This isn't a license to sell whatever you create. Valve still wants you to get in touch if you want to rake in cash for your creations. If that's no obstacle, though, this should make it easier to build game-specific controls, accessibility features and other devices that normally aren't available for VR headsets. The biggest obstacle is simply buying the Index -- at $999 for a full bundle, you're paying a lot for the privilege of a mod-friendly hardware.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't buy the "games don't go on sale anymore" BS. A lot of AAA titles have gone on sale faster than they used to, e.g., AC:Odyssey was one of the biggest titles last year and it was 50% off only 5 months later.
Some publishers are pretty shitty about it(looking at you, 2k games), but that doesn't apply across the board.

bellbell

Novice
Got kicked out of the race and got my Steam level back to zero. :despair:
Don't give a fuck about levels, but this event continues to test depths of my capability to feel... surprised. Good job, Valve :cool:
Upd.: Never mind - back to normal. Fuck this shit, I'm out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom