Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Lemming42

Arcane
I think your last point is right, Beth's longevity is down to them being the only type of person making this specific genre of game. If any other devs tried to make a game in the exact same template, Bethesda would get absolutely bodied, as they did when Obsidian made New Vegas.

A lot of critics of Bethesda also forget that Skyrim is legitimately a decent game, despite Codex protests to the contrary. Fallout 4 was a write-off and Oblivion was a joke, but Skyrim is a great dungeon-crawler for people who just want exploration and combat with no substance. Same for Fallout 3 for people who just ignore the quests and dialogue and want to go around shooting shit and grabbing loot in subways.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Finally don't even need to play the game anymore
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/95751?tab=description
Untitled.png

Yeah, legit no armour. Only about 30 seconds of jogging before I'm fucked. My run speed is also comically slow.

I's only meant to do that if you try to use heavy armor without the first HA perk, so it's either a bug or a mod conflict. The former can be fixed by an option in the Requiem compatibility MCM, the latter requires the "disable half the mods, run reqtificator, test game, disable half of that half..." method until you find the culprit. Assuming you still care about trying to fix it, that is.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah, legit no armour. Only about 30 seconds of jogging before I'm fucked. My run speed is also comically slow.

I's only meant to do that if you try to use heavy armor without the first HA perk, so it's either a bug or a mod conflict. The former can be fixed by an option in the Requiem compatibility MCM, the latter requires the "disable half the mods, run reqtificator, test game, disable half of that half..." method until you find the culprit. Assuming you still care about trying to fix it, that is.
Actually you still run out of stamina quite quickly, even with the perk.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
just get YASH instead, its better.

edit: nothing fixes the braindead quests and writing though, so i hope you're good at LARPing. i wasn't.

I'm aware there are ways to deal with them, just amazed they still exist when they were never intended as something more than a temporary bandaid back when xarrian was in charge and couldn't find a xivilai model so he just made up some bullshit about invisibility magic. Apparently entire mechanics about mass and armor penetration are higher on the priority list than "provide an actual model for these dudes LOL". Ogerboss found one he deems adequate but says the mod's permissions are "weird". Fucking modders, men

throwaway

Cipher
So I spent in metric fuck ton of hours yesterday trying to find the quickest and simplest way to install what ever the essential modes are considered to be. I made the mistake of mostly looking through Reddit searches, which I guess indicates how much of a normie I've turned into after 3 or so years away from any kind of proper gaming.

Long story short, Turns out the simplest solution is still a Russian torrent like SLMP, probably followed by Ultimate Skyrim, and yet the popular avenue is still manual installation and over 20hrs of fiddling. It's funny how angloWeb is so much behind the Russians.

Morkar Left

So I spent in metric fuck ton of hours yesterday trying to find the quickest and simplest way to install what ever the essential modes are considered to be. I made the mistake of mostly looking through Reddit searches, which I guess indicates how much of a normie I've turned into after 3 or so years away from any kind of proper gaming.

Long story short, Turns out the simplest solution is still a Russian torrent like SLMP, probably followed by Ultimate Skyrim, and yet the popular avenue is still manual installation and over 20hrs of fiddling. It's funny how angloWeb is so much behind the Russians.

But installing mods is the gameplay...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You're going to end up with a broken game and dozens of shitty mods if you install a mod pack.

Lemming42

Arcane
Butter speaks the truth, mod packs suck. The only good way to mod Skyrim is to choose your own mods one by one to tailor the experience to be exactly what you want it to be. This will take literal hours, maybe even over the course of two or three nights, but the end result will be better than any mod pack and you'll also realise that the nights spent installing and testing mods were possibly the most fun you had with the game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate this game even after a million mods. I spend 20 hours installing them, then I play the game and see it is still so boring and uninstall it 2 hours later. I should really stop that. The dialogue, the stories, the characters, the quests, the dungeons, the combat, the locations, the UI, everything about it is relentlessly bad.

mastroego

Arcane

Avoid modpacks.
Install Requiem and a variety of lesser, individual mods that accompany it well.
It has been covered several times.

throwaway

Cipher
Maybe I'm going through an overlong phase but Google Stadia's promise of click and play within seconds has made me reconsider the amount of time this path requires. I once spent over a week of my life trying (and succeeding) to mod Fallout 3 into something good, even watched a dozen Gopher videos. This knowledge carried over into FNV modding which took "only" 1 full day.

But Skyrim requires an order of magnitude more work, and if I came into it without any prior Gamebryo modding experience, I would be either lost at sea, and run out of any willingness to scale the game by the time I've figured the shit out, or play vanilla unmodded, which is no option.

I don't have nearly enough energy, or time, to play things these days, nevermind turn what ought to be a quick facelift into work. Not to be too contrarian, but in cases such as mine, modpacks really are the superior solution, even if in general they are second (or according to the sentiment in this threads: third) -best.

mastroego

Arcane
OK, I've been there too, just know that it's a very distant second position.

Honestly I have a lot of mods together with Requiem but most of them are ease of use stuff or cosmetic additions/alterations... not something truly, absolutely critical.
The core of the "mod-suite" is Requiem + Frostfall + Wet&Cold + a lightweight needs system.
Perhaps something else I'm forgetting right now, but they can't possibly be many.

I strongly suggest to use this as a (coherent) gameplay overhaul, before you burn out on the whole thing trying to play a messy combo of mismatched of mods.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Alternatively, I would build around Legacy of the Dragonborn + a few EnaiSiaion mods: Ordinator, Wildcat, Andromeda, Imperious. From there, it's just a weather mod, an alternate start, maybe a few quest mods, and you're 90% ready to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom