Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
also dragon engine 2 just look simply amazing. like holy shit. this game looks fucking good. with 0/kiwami kamurocho already looks really detailed. kiwami 2 is just a whole another level.

20190701192411_1.jpg
And if anyone is interested, here's the real thing:

https://twitter.com/Gutz360/status/984310241386000384

They (SEGA and Ryu Ga Gotoku) have done an ace job IMO.

Here's the inspiration for the Sotenbori map:

upload_2019-7-2_2-56-57.png

Quite faithful to the Postal level, didn't knew the devs were fans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgTi-gZVAM

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just don't follow Kiryu's drinking guide, unless you have a shitload of money (really, those Yamazaki whiskeys he drinks can go from anywhere between 5,000 to 10,000 bucks a bottle).

Deflowerer

Arcane
Just don't follow Kiryu's drinking guide, unless you have a shitload of money (really, those Yamazaki whiskeys he drinks can go from anywhere between 5,000 to 10,000 bucks a bottle).

Yamazaki 18 is only 500 bucks a bottle, afaik most whiskeys in the game aren't that expensive.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Just finished Kiwami, the ending was exhilarating. Though 0 is a better game, Kiwami is still very, very good. I'll start Kiwami 2 tonight. Any tips?

Jinn

Arcane
Probably. Still semi-considering that. 0 to K1 to K2 might be a bit too much.

I always try to give myself at least a month or two between finishing one Yakuza and then going on to another.

Beyond that, I'd recommend whenever you start to play Kiwami 2 to try to hold back on leveling up your primary combat stats too much - like Attack Boost and Defense Boost - and instead invest in different heat moves. This way you'll have a lot more variety in your move-set, while not becoming an over-powered juggernaut in the first 1/4 of the game.

Shouldn't you space it out some?

I decided to play "just a little bit" to check out the Dragon Engine. I arrived in Sotenbori, ran straight to the karaoke bar. After karaoke, I decided to see the new games in the Sega arcade. Talked to a guy when I was done playing Virtua Fighter and the claw game, he showed me a game called "Toylet." I don't think I'll be able to stop.

I decided to play "just a little bit" to check out the Dragon Engine. I arrived in Sotenbori, ran straight to the karaoke bar. After karaoke, I decided to see the new games in the Sega arcade. Talked to a guy when I was done playing Virtua Fighter and the claw game, he showed me a game called "Toylet." I don't think I'll be able to stop.

It feels different enough for a full playthrough, despite playing 0 and K1 back-to-back.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, especially after Kiwami 1, with Kiwami 2 you have an engine change as well as another city to explore again (Sotenbori). Definitely feels fresh.

Fishy

Savant
Really enjoyed Kiwami 2. Not enough heat moves, and combat is too easy, but this is partially mitigated by the hilarious friendly NPC heat moves, and that there are so many random mobs that at some point you're happy to be overpowered. That engine with seamless street-shop transitions is glorious and it never gets old to bring fights into restaurants. Oh, and Majima... :D

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

This is good advice for any game series or unusually long single games like Skyrim, Zelda: BotW or Pathfinder Kingmaker. I ended up burning myself out on so many games and not completing them because I didn't take it at a slower pace or wait a while between sessions/games.

Today I'll be starting my first Yakuza game (Yakuza 0), PC version. Any tips for a newbie? I'll be using a PS4 controller under DS4Windows.

Ivan

Arcane
Just enjoy it man. It has a fantastic main story. My only piece of advice would be this: try to do as many of the sidequests early on, b/c once the main story picks up steam, it's REALLY, REALLY hard not to steamroll through it, at least that was the case for me. Enjoy!

Vaarna_Aarne

You don't really have to do that, you can just not level up or not equip certain items if you want to avoid being too much of a steamroller (I personally don't, since being overpowered in a RGG studio game is very relaxing and cathartic).

Only real tip I suppose could be that do save when you find a side quest, a lot of them have multiple paths and you may want to check out the total fuck-up path just for lulz because many of them are quite amusing. And similarly, full success paths are extremely heartwarming so you don't want to miss them either.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Has Yakuza Kiwami 2 for PC been fixed yet?

Or is it still crash-happy?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

This is good advice for any game series or unusually long single games like Skyrim, Zelda: BotW or Pathfinder Kingmaker. I ended up burning myself out on so many games and not completing them because I didn't take it at a slower pace or wait a while between sessions/games.

Today I'll be starting my first Yakuza game (Yakuza 0), PC version. Any tips for a newbie? I'll be using a PS4 controller under DS4Windows.

Make sure you save regularly and don't neglect the side stuff

Vaarna_Aarne

A thing to note in regards to side stuff, there are two items you'll want to know about: Encounter Finder and Trouble Finder. The former locates enemies (notably a very specific kind of enemy, you'll know who soon enough), the latter where you can find Substories (sidequests). You can't miss Trouble Finder on either character, HOWEVER it is possible to miss Trouble Finder with Kiryu if you pick the wrong reward from Michael Jackson.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom