Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Which console gen is worse - current or last?

Ok, true consolse died with PS2 era. So far, thanks to original Xbox, consoles turn into retarded version of PC, lossing their advanteges such as 'pick and play', no bugs (as a rule), proper optimization and, hell, being able to run the game out o the box without any additional patches. Plus all that DLC shit, games as service etc. it all started just then.

Both following generation are horrible and with PC available there's litte to no reason to have one. All they can offer is lower entry price (but games are moar expensive so it's not so attractive in longer run) and bunch of exclusives.

Seriously, PS360 had poor library but still, it wipes out current gen. Phantom Pain, Persona 5? Definately best games for both gens but since they're available everywhere, they're do not count.

Xbone hasn't left any ex for now so this is the most pointless hardware ever. But PS4? It's just glorified Bloodborne machine with anything other worthwile playing unless you're into popamle cinematic crap.

PS360 had MK vs DC, Drakengard 3, SSF2THDR, Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection / 6 / TTT2, Persona fighting gaems, GoW3 / Ascension, Folklore, 3D Dot Heroes, JoJo's All Star Battle, Resistance...

To think that PS5 gen + Google Stadia will be even worse....

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
As someone from a region where consoles are overpriced or not available, I'd say all of them. I'd get a Switch or 2DSXL if they weren't so overpriced though. Ultimately consoles are locked down PCs that big brother sets up and allows you to play on so unless you want to play something with zero knowledge of what software and computing is, they're really not worth getting.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Consoles are sadly a thing of the past. 25+ years ago, you had a reason to have both a PC and console for gaming. Now what? You get a console and it's all AAA garbage with almost anything worth playing being ported to PC. The last console I bought was a PS3, literally because it could play blurays and it wasn't much more expensive than just a dedicated bluray player, and it is still hooked up to my living room TV for the occasional game of Demons Souls, Sengoku Basara, or College Hoops 2k8. Never even considered getting a PS4, so I guess the answer to this thread is "current console gen is worse"

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I would submit that the Nintendo DS Phat and Lite (not DSi) were the last "true" consoles. And current generation is definitely the worst- regionlocked 3DS with no competition has seen to that. It's all essentially the same frozen dogshit sundae from last gen with that extra dingleberry cherry on top.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Forgot about DS, that had some very nice games on it, probably the best "console" of that generation.
I bought my Lite fully expecting to hate the damn thing. Was in love with it in no time flat (gotta say, though, hyping Super Mario 64 DS as an ideal showcase game was a horrible mistake).

newtmonkey

Arcane
Mario 64 DS was a nice try, but playing that thing on a dpad (or *shudder* the fucking thumb stylus thing they included with the OG DS phat) was a nightmare. It had a very decent lineup of rpgs though, way better than the rpgs on consoles at the time.

My biggest problem with 3DS is region locking (like you mentioned) and also the ergonomics of the thing. The layout is just retarded. Whether you use the circle pad or dpad, your left thumb is either above or below your right thumb on the buttons; it's extremely uncomfortable to hold. I dunno what they were thinking with this thing.

Puukko

Arcane
I've yet to even try any current gen console even once. The PS4 has one exclusive I can think of that I'm interested in (Bloodborne) but I've still got other similar games on PC that scratch that itch that I have yet to play.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Current. So many of the best games are already on PC, and anything that isn't is freely playable exclusively to Switch. Microsoft did not try with Xbox One at all, and Sony just decided to fund the same kind of game like, 5 times - barring standouts like Gravity Rush and Bloodborn. As Japanese companies begin to notice the untapped PC market (Bandai and Toei are already on board, with Sega not far behind) there is little reason to get a console unless you must have Spider-Man for the PS4.

Last gen you can at least see effort, you know? Also better handhelds.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I haven't purchased a console since PS3 and even that was used for $40 bucks aand is currently in storage. Almost everything I want to play is on PC or in emulation.

deama

Prophet
Previous console gens were worse because now we're getting almost everything on PC and are getting emulators for the old shit.

It Wanted to Purge

For me it's a bliss, I don't have to upgrade my pc every time soon

Latro

Arcane
cracked DS for roms is great. never liked psps because screen gets smudgy no matter what, and i'd rather play ps1 games on pc

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Current gen sucks. Even Microsoft has given up on the Xbone and is porting everything over to the PC, PS4 has only a minuscule amount of worthwhile exclusives like Bloodborne, and the Switch, like the rest of Nintendo has been in its own little bubble for the last 25 years. Last console I had was a PS3, and the only worthwhile exclusive I had on it was Demons Souls, every other game (360 multi-platforms included) on it like Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Vesperia, Vanquish, Catherine etc. had PC ports a few years later. Unless you're really into Nintendo first party games, I don't see a reason to get a console this generation, or the next generation assuming this trend is going to continue.

Falksi

Arcane
As someone who traditionally loves console gaming, the current gen is absolutely fucking awful. I mean really, really bad. There's just so few games actually worth playing, and then you've got to fuck about trying to get your console to behave like a PC before you get to play them anyway. It's dire.

Whereas I really enjoyed the Xbox360. I could stay offline, blitz through a million different cheap but good games, and enjoy a fairly old-school plug & play experience too.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The current gen is certainly the worse, the big publishers stopped completely from making new games and are just milking annual franchises or selling microtransactions on games as a service style of games, the number of new IP dropped through the floor and even most new Ip games are mostly aimed at pvp online. There are very, very few AAA developers I respect and I think their content is actually worthy playing like CD Projekt, Atlus, Platinum or From Software (very interesting that it seems the japanese didn't thrown the towel yet like the west cucks did). I would say that CD Projekt is getting so much attention in part because people are so used with the lack of ambition from AAA developers that when something new actually appears it contrast even more with the mediocrity around.

kalganoat

Savant
This gen for sure. AA games (aka flawed but unique and interesting ideas) are pretty much gone now. The push for multiplayer, always online, MTX, GaaS shit started this gen. Every publisher wants their games to be Destiny or GTA Online. Sony and MS also introduced the concept of mid-gen hardware refresh because they don't want to take a loss at launch anymore. Games are now mainstream and SJWs have successfully infiltrated into this industry. The only good thing from this gen is the return of Japanese games because some Japanese companies finally caught up with the tech and stopped chasing Western game design trends.

thesecret1

Arcane
Current gen is the best one – it's so stupid that I laugh every time I think of it. Come on: "EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX (and PC :^) )", Sony deciding not to be outdone and releasing awful garbage nobody wants to touch, then doubling down on censorship, Nintendo selling literal cardboard at premium price... Top grades for amusement

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom