Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Eggs is eggs

Learned
worldishollow.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I only vaguely remember the sci-fi elements in the first game. Thundranium (yeah Thundercats run away), Aliens, and lasers or phasers. Maybe i missed a bunch on the broken c64 version. I swear there was a levelling bug on that version.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm planning on playing thru MM1 on NES soon, then the recently-translated into english MM2 port/remake on SNES.

*There are three different ports/remakes of MM2, one on sega Genesis, an USA-developed version on american/european SNES and a much more faithful version of MM2 (pretty damn faithful) made by a Japanese team for japanese SNES, and it's this last version that was recently translated.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah i just saw that yesterday:
SNES Central & Codex DL

I was looking at sequences of MMIII on different platforms as well. The Turbogfx has some interesting graphics.

I also found some sort of music composer who remastered some or invented music soundtracks: xeen music

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hey:

I guess he's referring to reactions to this:

Aaaand from part 2
rating_prosper.png
: https://vk.com/@tavern_homam-julien-pirou-interview-part-2

38) How do you see the perfect Might and Magic RPG?

I always felt that the Might & Magic RPG series should at some point completely go into real-time mode - even if not being a clickfest like Diablo, it will remain more focused on tactics and slow play, allowing the player to make sensible decisions. The game I see in my mind will retain first-person view and a group of adventure seekers, allowing the player to move from one character to another, and directly control the skills and spells of that character, while the rest of the group will manage (based on the personality characters) artificial intelligence.

In addition, this approach will allow several people to play at the same time, who will manage the characters. Based on the experience of the desktop RPG, I would like to see a game in which you can play solo or with three friends, and so that she would not need to be a giant MMORPG.

Therefore, I think that the end result would be similar to Borderlands in a fantasy setting, less insane, based on the group principle :)

(Or actually he was predicting Baldur's Gate 3!
aliens.png
)

And of course he bought the book:

Anyway, I hope you get to make that Wizardry 8-like someday. :salute:

Zeriel

Arcane
Pirou will always have my respect for making Legacy happen. As far as I can tell, he's pretty much the only reason we got the 1 good blobber in the last decade that wasn't from Japan.

I will remain salty that the engine, unity jank aside, didn't see more use, it seemed really polished in terms of basic functionality (quick combat speed that wasn't coupled to animations, animation speed sliders, etc). To find something that feels as nice for my personal tastes I have to go all the way back to Demise/Mordor 2.

Neerasrc

Learned
Hey:

I guess he's referring to reactions to this:

Aaaand from part 2
rating_prosper.png
: https://vk.com/@tavern_homam-julien-pirou-interview-part-2

38) How do you see the perfect Might and Magic RPG?

I always felt that the Might & Magic RPG series should at some point completely go into real-time mode - even if not being a clickfest like Diablo, it will remain more focused on tactics and slow play, allowing the player to make sensible decisions. The game I see in my mind will retain first-person view and a group of adventure seekers, allowing the player to move from one character to another, and directly control the skills and spells of that character, while the rest of the group will manage (based on the personality characters) artificial intelligence.

In addition, this approach will allow several people to play at the same time, who will manage the characters. Based on the experience of the desktop RPG, I would like to see a game in which you can play solo or with three friends, and so that she would not need to be a giant MMORPG.

Therefore, I think that the end result would be similar to Borderlands in a fantasy setting, less insane, based on the group principle :)

(Or actually he was predicting Baldur's Gate 3!
aliens.png
)

And of course he bought the book:

Anyway, I hope you get to make that Wizardry 8-like someday. :salute:

Hey, Ubisoft! Make a deal with Owlcat. Let's see a game like homm5 again. Let Mike Laidlaw take part in the project. I hope the return will be nice this time.

Ossie1972

Barely Literate
Hi all, great to see some activity still around this game. I haven't found a seacrh function yet on this Board to find this answer myself, and 142 pages is a little hefty to sift through, but please let me know if I've missed a way to find this myself.

Playing the game again after many years. I've struck a bug I've seen mentioned but I never had on previous playthroughs: the path to the Sacred Grove is blocked. Not that I can't enter the Grove itself (it's the dungeon for the Bladedancer promotion so it seems sometimes you can't enter the actual dungeon without an elf), but the pathway to the Grove area is blocked. The Grove is at 49,38 with only one path to approach. I'm at 41,36 and I can't move east to 42,36.

The path is clear and not blocked by anything that the Earth/Water/etc blessings would normally require (not blocked by anything that has rendered, anyway), and in any event I have all blessings. I can see an Earth Elemental a few squares away at around 45,36 just standing there, but I can't move east - the next step is blocked as if there is no path, or blocked by something that requires a blessing. The problem has previously been noted, for eg here https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/840319-Sacred-Grove-unable-to-enter

I can think of a few options:
* hack the game to remove whatever the weird block is, assuming anyone knows
* hack the game to change your location
*hack the game to change the location of my Spirit Beacon, then portal past the block

Does anyone have any advice, or suggestions on how to do any of the above?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Playing the game again after many years. I've struck a bug I've seen mentioned but I never had on previous playthroughs: the path to the Sacred Grove is blocked. Not that I can't enter the Grove itself (it's the dungeon for the Bladedancer promotion so it seems sometimes you can't enter the actual dungeon without an elf), but the pathway to the Grove area is blocked. The Grove is at 49,38 with only one path to approach. I'm at 41,36 and I can't move east to 42,36.

IIRC there are barriers at the locations that disappear when promotion quest triggers and enemies spawns. There are 2 corridors from the cave entry, one of them closed by such barrier and another, to the left or right, is covered by plants and bit tricky to notice, since map in the area is so dark you can't see a shit. Try to check the walls, you could miss it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
MMX was lowkey good. Good, tactical combat paired with fast character progression and solid character building. Didn't like the environments though, thought they were too basic.

Too bad the game was brutally abandoned after 6 months.

Ossie1972

Barely Literate
IIRC there are barriers at the locations that disappear when promotion quest triggers and enemies spawns. There are 2 corridors from the cave entry, one of them closed by such barrier and another, to the left or right, is covered by plants and bit tricky to notice, since map in the area is so dark you can't see a shit. Try to check the walls, you could miss it.

I have the promo quest, and did have before I entered this area. The step I'm trying to take is open and clear, not covered by anything, just blocked by something . The path I'm trying to take is the only one, is as per other maps I've seen, and my previous playthroughs

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hi all, great to see some activity still around this game. I haven't found a seacrh function yet on this Board to find this answer myself, and 142 pages is a little hefty to sift through, but please let me know if I've missed a way to find this myself.

The path is clear and not blocked by anything that the Earth/Water/etc blessings would normally require (not blocked by anything that has rendered, anyway), and in any event I have all blessings. I can see an Earth Elemental a few squares away at around 45,36 just standing there, but I can't move east - the next step is blocked as if there is no path, or blocked by something that requires a blessing. The problem has previously been noted, for eg here https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/840319-Sacred-Grove-unable-to-enter

I can think of a few options:
* hack the game to remove whatever the weird block is, assuming anyone knows
* hack the game to change your location
*hack the game to change the location of my Spirit Beacon, then portal past the block

Does anyone have any advice, or suggestions on how to do any of the above?

It’s been a long time, but I think this is UPlay’s copy protection. At various stages of the game it calls home to ubi servers and it the connection or validation fails, invisible walls aren’t removed and your progress is halted.

it happened to me, and I think it was my firewall. I may have needed a passthrough carved out in the router tho (not sure if it was NAT or TCP/UDP).

Google it, you’ll see.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It’s been a long time, but I think this is UPlay’s copy protection. At various stages of the game it calls home to ubi servers and it the connection or validation fails, invisible walls aren’t removed and your progress is halted.

I've never heard this and I'd carefully venture to say it's a complete nonsense.

agris

Arcane
Patron

I've never heard this and I'd carefully venture to say it's a complete nonsense.
Absolutely not.

edit: for example, https://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/143388408895102028/

it’s a bit of an in joke, old school copy protection (screwing with your progression) for an old school game.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The copy protection actually kicked in on my legally purchased copy of M&MX and would not let me out of Chapter 1. I had to load an old save and redo the area so that I could continue on to the next chapter. It was a common issue at the time.

Ossie1972

Barely Literate

it happened to me, and I think it was my firewall. I may have needed a passthrough carved out in the router tho (not sure if it was NAT or TCP/UDP)

This wouldn’t surprise me. I have the boxed version of the game but of course this requires Uplay as well (which is horrible and I have not and will not ever buy another Ubisoft title while this is forced). All problems have always only been created by Uplay – for instance the classic “can’t access Act 2/bridge is blocked/Elemental Forge option is greyed out” was only a problem when you were playing offline (in other words trying to avoid Uplay). I needed to go to online mode for this to fix.

But I’m now playing in online mode and given the Act 2 problem is gone, it’s hard to see a similar problem remaining. I’ve also never had the problem in this area before, even when I had the Act 2 problem in the past. However:
  • This playthough on a new PC and OS from when I played previously (Windows 10, previously Windows 7)
  • When you quit the game, the save game cloud sync through Uplay fails. I also remember this was a problem before (not that I care), but can’t remember now if I previously had to fix it to avoid other problems. It certainly seems like the connection with Uplay isn’t 100%, which meshes with what you say. I’ll check firewalls etc. Now that you mention it, maybe I had to add Uplay to the firewall last time
  • Along the same lines, one weird thing that is different this time is that I now have Steam loaded, which I didn’t last time I was playing the game. When I installed the game, the MMX game launch icon was immediately overwritten with the generic Steam icon. When I launch through the game icon, it goes to Steam and says “game not installed on Steam” or something similar. Which is true, but for some reason the game thinks that it’s connected through Steam. The only way I can play is to launch Uplay, and then launch MMX through there. If it *is* a copy protection or client connection thing, then potentially it could be either Uplay or Steam (even though I’m not running and don’t even own the game through Steam). I’ll add Steam to the firewall as well (even though Steam has never given me any firewall issues)

Does any of that prompt any more ideas?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not an always online game, so I'm not sure how you could do that and have it be server dependent? Assassin's Creed 2 and a few others did that and had an always online requirement because of it, but MMX is not one them I'm 99% sure. Not saying it's not an issue in the game, just not sure how it could be related to a server call.

Ossie1972

Barely Literate
It's not an always online game, so I'm not sure how you could do that and have it be server dependent? Assassin's Creed 2 and a few others did that and had an always online requirement because of it, but MMX is not one them I'm 99% sure. Not saying it's not an issue in the game, just not sure how it could be related to a server call.

True, but all the problems I've ever seen have manifested when *not* playing in online mode. It's almost like online mode is a proxy for confirming it's a legitimate copy, and unlocks all the protections and blocks. For instance, the pre-release of this game back in (? - 2013?) contained Act 1 only. When the full game dropped, you couldn't get past Act 1 without being in online mode (at least, I couldn't. Pretty sure others who had the same problem at the time had slightly different reasons). While in offline mode, it was almost like the game somehow assumed you were playing the pre-release and wouldn't let you past Act 1. That was still the case when I re-installed it recently, many years and patches later.

My problem, as above, is a block in a different area of the map that I've never previously had a problem with. The only difference now to when I was playing previously is that I also have Steam installed, and the problem when launching directly from the game icon

Zeriel

Arcane
It's not BS, there was a Uplay bug like that when it first came out, I had it. Forget what the solution was, think it might have been editing an xml. I'm not sure it was actually a server check, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom