Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer: Chaosbane - action RPG set in the Old World, from How to Survive dev

Ranarama

Learned
I'm hearing a lot of "I never played Warhammer but lol this is awezum xD"
Telling, isn't it.

Turns out the audience for tactical turn based war battles in a game system that is no longer made and is actively shat on by the company that spawned it, and the audience for action games with light rpg elements (at best) aren't the same. Who knew?

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So, finally got some time to try the full game out now. Starting off with Konrad, since I like Melee in these kind of games. I know I mentioned playing it with a gamepad before, but I actually decided to try using the mouse and keyboard. Even though the game was obviously designed with consoles in mind I actually found the PC controls well done and more fun than with a gamepad (course I changed the default keys). I don't know what it is about a mouse and keyboard but it actually works better.

The complaints about the pricing make me laugh, though that is probably due to the fact I'm 31 and remember how much a new game cost when I was a kid. My dad got me the Nintendo 64 when it came out and got me Super Mario 64 as my one and only game for it. Now in the 1990's the Canadian dollar was worth crap compared to the US dollar, so that along with our GST tax (can't remember if Alberta still had PST tax or not) brought the total to $105 CAD. In today's dollars that would be $159.56 CAD. Needless to say that was the only game I owned on it for a very long time. My dad did rent some more games for me though.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The complaints about the pricing make me laugh, though that is probably due to the fact I'm 31 and remember how much a new game cost when I was a kid. My dad got me the Nintendo 64 when it came out and got me Super Mario 64 as my one and only game for it. Now in the 1990's the Canadian dollar was worth crap compared to the US dollar, so that along with our GST tax (can't remember if Alberta still had PST tax or not) brought the total to $105 CAD. In today's dollars that would be $159.56 CAD. Needless to say that was the only game I owned on it for a very long time. My dad did rent some more games for me though.
So what makes you laugh exactly?

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Boomers would be okay with taking a second mortgage for a game since it wasn't cheap in ye olde days, so you have to suffer today as well, even for digital copies with 0 productions costs for packaging, shipping, and the stuff that comes with it.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

It's competing in current year, against better games which are cheaper. That's all there is to it. It's currently on my wait for extreme discount list, and if not for the Warhammer setting I'd ignore it completely. Most reports rate it average or worse

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So what makes you laugh exactly?

How times have changed so much. Before digital distribution games had to compete for retail space at physical stores, so there was a limit to how many games you could stock. This led to needing a publisher for all the many costs of marketing, distribution, etc. You had competition but not even close to the kind we have now with distribution through online stores like Steam and GOG. Now the barriers to entry are so low that we have a ridiculously huge supply of games from small to mid sized developers along with big publishers. And the less rare something is the less valuable it is. Now there are hundreds of rpgs, strategy, and action games. Most people won't pay the full new release price for a game like they used too. I'm part of that list too honestly since this was the first game I pre-ordered in a long time. I think the last one I pre-ordered was Path of Exile when I bought a supporter pack to get access to the closed beta.

Anyway, the reason I pre-purchased this game was because it reminded me of the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath type games I played when I was younger. That and I honestly didn't know a lot about the Warhammer setting, so it was fresh and new to me. So I wanted to support the developers for making a type of game that I honestly haven't really seen since the 2000s and pre-ordered the game. So far I'm having a lot of fun, but I do understand why the majority of people who are interested are going to wait until there is more content through DLC and it is at a discount.

Oh, also there is a summoner class in this game. It's Ellesa the wood elf. You can build her so she summons tons of dryads and nature creatures.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Ok, I still don't see how that made you laugh in the context of people pointing out that this is obviously an average AA game that's overpriced by at least 200% and riddled with typical modern fuckery like day 1 dlc, including pay 2 win etc. I'm glad you're having fun though.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So, instead of moving on to Chapter 2 in the main campaign with my character, I decided I'm going to keep running expeditions in Chapter 1 Nuln until I reach the max level of 50 and then run through the campaign at max level. I haven't increased the difficulty past normal, since there is no point in upping the difficulty before Level 50 since increases in difficulty increase loot quality and shard drops but not XP.

I'm at level 40 right now and Konrad is pretty much almost indestructible with his shield block. I decided to put all my focus into maxing shield block, and with my average gear I'm managing about 60% block chance (that's before any buffs from my active skills). At Level 44 I'll unlock a passive that turns half of my block chance into a percentage increase to all damage. Once I reach max level I'm interested to see how powerful I can get with good gear.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Looks like a re-skinned D3, not that I am terribly surprised by that... Another generic piece of GW IP shit to throw on the pile!

I've never seen a company license their successful IP to anyone willing to make a game for it and still fail to have a single good game dozens of games later
This is impressive

Its freakin' hilarious, but not a bad strategy, go full carpet bomb mode and they can probably generate a decent income through sheer number of shitty games being created, I guess it will eventually hit a point of saturation where people wont want to touch anything with the GW logo on it, but until then its just stacking up the monies for literally no effort!

Saerain

Augur
Patron
^I agree. I mean Warhammer 40K Mechanicus is phenomenal.
Oh, god. Certainly the most "inside the 40K setting" I've ever felt. Ace-level artistic choices across the board, especially in audio. (Though, I am so done with animatic cutscenes.) Would love to see more from that team with expanding scope.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I have pretty much been playing Warhammer 40K Inquisitor Martyr exclusively since they released the 2.0 patch.

Which means I haven't tried out their whole invasion thing Chaosbane did two weeks after release. Every time I think of going back to this I just end up going back to Warhammer Inquisitor cause it is more fun.

I'm going to try and finish Chaosbane with all the classes though so I can give more in-depth thoughts and maybe do a mini review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom