Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you prefer kingmaker or DOS2?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Despite Pathfinder Kingmaker being much more popular here, (unfortunately) according to steamcharts, more people are playing D:OS2 than PfK

D:OS2 stats 8,303 playing an hour ago 10,500 24-hour peak 93,350 all-time peak https://steamcharts.com/app/435150
PkF stats 3,233 playing an hour ago 3,729 24-hour peak 22,536 all-time peak https://steamcharts.com/app/640820
D:OS is better reviewed on steam too.

Disclaimer > The data of steamcharts can change depending on the date that you are reading this message.

I just don't understand why. PfK has an much better ruleset, has much more viable character builds, an much better story, much better immersion, much more choices and consequences, much more spell/spell like abilities, and Pathfinder Kingmaker has also much less BS mechanics. The unique advantage of D:OS is the multiplayer and if i wanna play MP, i go play NWN1:EE. I wish that PfK devs expand their universe on PfK2 and allow verticality. Allow fly and climb and come with an toolset like Aurora and made create custom made classes/kits/races more easy, that way, they will create the best cRPG of all time.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Despite Pathfinder Kingmaker being much more popular here, (unfortunately) according to steamcharts, more people are playing D:OS2 than PfK

D:OS2 stats 8,303 playing an hour ago 10,500 24-hour peak 93,350 all-time peak https://steamcharts.com/app/435150
PkF stats 3,233 playing an hour ago 3,729 24-hour peak 22,536 all-time peak https://steamcharts.com/app/640820
D:OS is better reviewed on steam too.

Disclaimer > The data of steamcharts can change depending on the date that you are reading this message.

I just don't understand why. PfK has an much better ruleset, has much more viable character builds, an much better story, much better immersion, much more choices and consequences, much more spell/spell like abilities, and Pathfinder Kingmaker has also much less BS mechanics. The unique advantage of D:OS is the multiplayer and if i wanna play MP, i go play NWN1:EE. I wish that PfK devs expand their universe on PfK2 and allow verticality. Allow fly and climb and come with an toolset like Aurora and made create custom made classes/kits/races more easy, that way, they will create the best cRPG of all time.
Swarms

jf8350143

Liturgist
Both of them started pretty strong and falls flat in the late game, but Kingmaker's middle game is much stronger.

However, if you ban the mod(why on earth would you do that) for both game, I'd have to go for the DOS2.

Also Kingmaker deserve its mediocre review because when the game launches it was a complete mess. And that's the time period most of the reviews were made.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I too remember when Baldur's Gate had paid DLC classes.

The DLC's are offering content from ADVANCED classes and races, not core races/classes

And lets be honest, they had an lot of work to add Kineticist. The class is very unique. With unique resources(burn), unique skills, and unique things, like combine earth + fire to produce magma or water + fire to produce steam. Is an class completely different than every core class. And they added even archetypes to choose. And lets compare the implementation of Kineticist/tiefling compared to Neverwinter Nights 1 - Hotu expansion. Hotu expansion added red dragon disciple(you can be an dragon disciple of ANY METALLIC OR chromatic dragon on PfK without needing to pay an single DLC), pale master that is useless since give no +caster level, and no new race. Look how many options you have from an single race added in a $10 DLC(not sure about US price), each one offering unique traits.Is not that we are lenient towards PfK. Is that PfK is an amazing game and finally let me play with an sorcerer of silver dragonic heritage, not "hurr durr, only red, the most chaotic evil, human hating dragon is your great great ancestor, sorry but you can't choose other dragon". Sorry, but i don't think that any developer would have this amount of work and release for free.

And note that Beamdog added new classes to BG:EE but din't added to NWN:EE. The game also comes by default with Aasimar race. Another advanced race.

Cixf7wT.jpg

PS : If you wanna check the core classes/races http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ and http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Someone make me a mod that just shortcuts me to each boss battle and cuts out the other 99% of the game.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Another dissapointment in DOS 2 is the soundtrack. It doesn't sound bad but not memorable. The composer Borislav Slavov did the soundtrack to Knights oh Honor and it's an awesome piece so I had high hopes he could fill in admirably after Kirrill passed but this is very average. Dang.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
D:OS 2.

Until you get to the Doctor of Impossible HP Spunginess.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Say whatever you want about D:OS 2, they didn't have paid DLC , so they have the upper hand in this regard.

But D:OS2 costs more and there are an detail.
D:OS2 is 92 hours long(main + extras) according to how long to beat ( https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=39525 )
P:K is 140 hours long(main + extras) according to the same source ( https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=60050 )

This is an game length comparative. We can see how much spells both games has, how much skills both has(...)Not mentioning that due the fact that D:os2 being turn based, with slower animations, an 3 turn battle in P:K lasts 18 seconds. On D:OS2 lasts at least an minute. D:OS2 is much more modernized, has fully VA, even animals that an tinny minority of players that picked an skill will listen, but by other hands, has more modern BS and that is why many people here prefer P:K.

Martyr

Arcane
in Divinity: Original Sin 2 the open, sandboxy nature and the tactical fights, which always required thought, kept pulling me through to the end.
in Pathkinder: Kingmaker the linearity and the (most of the time) too easy difficulty made me abandon the game in chapter 5.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are plenty of things you could plausibly accuse Owlcat of doing wrong, but not giving players good value for their money? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve read on the codex all week, and I say that after foolishly venturing into Lady Error’s creationism thread the other day.

The base game is longer than Baldur’s Gate 2 or Wizardry 7. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a non open-world RPG with more content than Kingmaker. And most of that content is really good!

$40 for the base game, $65 with the season pass. Gimme a fucking break. That’s an incredible bargain, especially since most of the DLC is meaty and the least substantial one is also the cheapest ($7 for wildcards vs $13 for Varnhold’s Lot).

I don’t want to hear about the endgame in comparison to D:OS2, because nobody frontloads their best content more than Larian. Sure, Kingmaker drops off 75% of the way in, but D:OS 1&2 both drop off 25% of the way in.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yea this thread has gone into bizarro land, who gives a flying fuck about DLC and X amount of hours, if game hours is a big deal boy o boy do I have some Bethesda games ready for you.

Anyway if you really need the definitive answer: anvi likes D:OS2...

I rest my case.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yea this thread has gone into bizarro land, who gives a flying fuck about DLC and X amount of hours, if game hours is a big deal boy o boy do I have some Bethesda games ready for you.

Modern BUGthesda games only worth be played due mods.

in Divinity: Original Sin 2 the open, sandboxy nature and the tactical fights, which always required thought, kept pulling me through to the end.
in Pathkinder: Kingmaker the linearity and the (most of the time) too easy difficulty made me abandon the game in chapter 5.

Easy?

dWIZeiJ.png

The first research results on pathfinder kingmaker difficulty. Did you played on story mode? Or maybe you can try solo unfair, believe on me. Will be very hard. I played in a custom difficulty more close to "hard" and even with an small party, had a lot of troubles in certain encounters and even got forced to use full party in certain parts(wild hunt for eg). The "tactical" aspect of DOS2 looks much more like environmental gimmicky.

jf8350143

Liturgist
There are plenty of things you could plausibly accuse Owlcat of doing wrong, but not giving players good value for their money? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve read on the codex all week, and I say that after foolishly venturing into Lady Error’s creationism thread the other day.

The base game is longer than Baldur’s Gate 2 or Wizardry 7. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a non open-world RPG with more content than Kingmaker. And most of that content is really good!

$40 for the base game, $65 with the season pass. Gimme a fucking break. That’s an incredible bargain, especially since most of the DLC is meaty and the least substantial one is also the cheapest ($7 for wildcards vs $13 for Varnhold’s Lot).

I don’t want to hear about the endgame in comparison to D:OS2, because nobody frontloads their best content more than Larian. Sure, Kingmaker drops off 75% of the way in, but D:OS 1&2 both drop off 25% of the way in.

A paid DLC is paid DLC, no matter how good the base game is. Besides, the DLC for kingmaker isn't really great.

Martyr

Arcane

Easy?

dWIZeiJ.png

The first research results on pathfinder kingmaker difficulty. Did you played on story mode? Or maybe you can try solo unfair, believe on me. Will be very hard. I played in a custom difficulty more close to "hard" and even with an small party, had a lot of troubles in certain encounters and even got forced to use full party in certain parts(wild hunt for eg). The "tactical" aspect of DOS2 looks much more like environmental gimmicky.

I played through Wizardry 1, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 7 out of the 9 D&D Gold Box RPGs.
Kingmaker may be astonishingly hard for the new generation of self proclaimed RPG nerds, but its difficulty is nothing to write home about for me.
thinking about the fastest, most efficient or even most gruesome way to solve the battles in Divinity: OS 2 was more of a challenge to me than the "hardcore" RTwP battles in Bugfinder: Patchmaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom