Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog's Infinity Engine and Neverwinter Nights console ports

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Syme

Arbiter
As long as it keeps them away from other franchises, they can just keep on porting NWN indefinitely for all I care.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Will NWN on consoles support modules, and if not, what's the point?

I guess you can play SOTU -> HOTU and daggerford but most of the appeal of NWN will be lost on a closed ecosystem

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Trent Oster claims they had to completely redo 80% of the code base in those games; also says they can't do EE version of Icewind Dale 2 cuz they don't have the source code. What to believe?

Tigranes

Arcane
If the former was correct, they'd have broken a lot more things than they already did.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Trent Oster claims they had to completely redo 80% of the code base in those games; also says they can't do EE version of Icewind Dale 2 cuz they don't have the source code. What to believe?
Those... don't seem contradictory at all? They modified the source code a lot but without the source code they'd have to reverse engineer the whole thing and also ports would be way harder

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Those... don't seem contradictory at all? They modified the source code a lot but without the source code they'd have to reverse engineer the whole thing and also ports would be way harder

Pretty sure IE game modders never had the source code and yet they did essentially the same thing Beamdog did (add widescreen support, bugfixes, kits, npcs, etc., etc.). I appreciate the EEs exist, but let's be honest, the only thing it added that modders couldn't was the zoom feature.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IF they had to re make 80% of the code, why not just port the game into an modern engine? Imagine NWN1 with Crysis graphics...
I still can't believe they had the nerve to call that an Enhanced Edition.

Well, if at least they had "unardcode" spell books and classes like modders asked, will worth the cost, since put custom spells and classes into the game would be much easier.

Cael

Arcane

Pretty sure IE game modders never had the source code and yet they did essentially the same thing Beamdog did (add widescreen support, bugfixes, kits, npcs, etc., etc.). I appreciate the EEs exist, but let's be honest, the only thing it added that modders couldn't was the zoom feature.
You have to ask the question: How much of the so-called "enhanced" edition was really cuckdog work and how much was stolen wholesale from the modding community and just packaged into the original BG? Especially given the bugs that were present when ee first came out, some of which seem to be symptomatic of a number of barely compatible older mods put together (i.e., a known problem for 20 years).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Complete tone deafness to what feedback means, a total lack of responsibility, blaming the community for mistakes they made, and conflating "muh feelings and those terrible people on the net" with the shit product thay made with SOD. Never change Beamdog - and I expect most of the internet that should be buying your game wont either.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Will the console version crash more or less than the pc version. I sill want to know how they managed to introduce crashes into a relatively stable game?

Cael

Arcane
Complete tone deafness to what feedback means, a total lack of responsibility, blaming the community for mistakes they made, and conflating "muh feelings and those terrible people on the net" with the shit product thay made with SOD. Never change Beamdog - and I expect most of the internet that should be buying your game wont either.
I don't know, man. They have more than a few shills even here.

Cael

Arcane
What cuckdog is trying desperately to do:

giphy.gif

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Once we started digging into the code for these games, we realized we'd underestimated the amount of work this would take. We ended up having to rewrite hundreds of thousands of lines of code just to stand these games up on modern platforms.

Yeah whatever.
Daggerfall was coded almost entirely by one man. In assembly. The source code is lost. And yet, Daggerfall Unity has feature parity with the OG.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Once we started digging into the code for these games, we realized we'd underestimated the amount of work this would take. We ended up having to rewrite hundreds of thousands of lines of code just to stand these games up on modern platforms.

Yeah whatever.
Daggerfall was coded almost entirely by one man. In assembly. The source code is lost. And yet, Daggerfall Unity has feature parity with the OG.
I didn't know it was coded in assembly. Damn, what kind of madman would do such a thing?

EDIT: Seems that Daggerfall was written in C/C++, Arena was the one that was all assembly. Got that from his AMA in the daggerfall subreddit

Last edited:

zapotec

Liturgist
super slow the cursor, it must sucks grabbing all that arrows from backpack to quivers slot

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, they got moving the cursor down. Not impressive, but it works, I guess.

What about the actual fun stuff? Are people just going to right-click on things while trying to not throw up?

Don't those guys have laptops?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom