Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Eh, I personally found that my hands get tired after a while. Having them stuck in the same position, with only the thumbs and index fingers really doing anything, doesn't feel right.
It does feel nice to just sit back in my chair and play games instead of hunching over the keyboard though.

Deleted Member 16721

Eh, I personally found that my hands get tired after a while. Having them stuck in the same position, with only the thumbs and index fingers really doing anything, doesn't feel right.
It does feel nice to just sit back in my chair and play games instead of hunching over the keyboard though.

I'd say that's more a problem of just not being used to controllers in general. I don't get any controller fatigue or anything but I regularly game on my Xbox 360 so that's probably why. And yes, it is nice to sometimes not hover over a keyboard or have to have a hand on your mouse and the other on the keyboard. It gives you a nice compact option. And the games, with some tweaking, play just as well.

eXalted

Arcane
Can I target the red exploding barrels in this game. Pressing Ctrl switches to Free Aim but they are still untargetable - shooting them actually targets the ground. Or is there a hidden percentage chance and it's just my rangers incompetency?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Can I target the red exploding barrels in this game. Pressing Ctrl switches to Free Aim but they are still untargetable - shooting them actually targets the ground. Or is there a hidden percentage chance and it's just my rangers incompetency?

You can, but I don't think all red barrels are explosive, only some. Its not really clear.
Apparently they are making Wasteland 3, and if so, they really need to work on the combat a little more.

eXalted

Arcane
"Only some" barrles are explosive. Cover icon shows on "only some" covers.

Combat in Director's Cut was polished "only some" it seems.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, the lack of polish becomes really apparent when you reach LA.
So, the conductivity mechanic is supposed to be so that Energy weapons are specialized can openers, designed to kill enemies with heavy armor. As such, heavy armor has the conductivity trait, and energy weapons deal 2x damage against those but up to -50% damage against everything else.

Now, in Arizona it works, as generally speaking if an enemy has an armor class greater than 5 they are probably conductive, and most conventional weapons you can find in Arizona have a pen less than 5.
This completely falls apart in LA, as suddenly you dealing with enemies who have Armor 8 and 400+ health, that don't count as wearing heavy armor, even though the highest armor value is 10. Which means that energy weapons are less useful in LA than they are in Arizona, especially when you consider that the most common enemy type, cyborgs, who can have up to Armor 10, are never conductive. Robots and synths are, but not their cultist lackies. What the shit Fargo, did you forget to give them Conductivity? I mean, they are still great at killing robots and they still suffer no range penalties, but it would be nice to fry that Armor 10 asshole that keeps whacking my guys in the face with a sledgehammer, you know?

What's funny is that in the base game LA also felt unfinished, and in the DC it feels even more unfinished.
They did fix the fact that you can't use Swifty's key on his chest though, making that quest nearly impossible if you break the lock, so progress I guess?

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
You can explode mines with a shotgun outside of combat.

You could do that, but I found it oddly inconsistant. You'd think the shotgun would hit everything within its arc, but sometimes it doesn't hit the mines.

I'm not sure I agree with how the designed shotguns. I would rather they introduced a flamer type weapon instead, and gave the shotty another gimmick. Maybe give them longer range, but they lose damage as well as accuracy over a distance, and have a higher chance of critting the closer they are. Maybe have a knockback effect or armor rupture effect at close range. Shotguns in wasteland 2 work more like flamethrowers, and that's not how they work at all.

Shotguns do have shorter effective range than rifles, but its still more than 5 meters, and has more to do with a lack of accuracy than the pellets just dropping as soon as they get a short distance away from the gun.

They also don't have incredible spread that pings everything within its firing distance, and if it did, it would be so laughably useless due to the size of the projectiles. Bird shot only works because birds are fragile little things that really don't like it if something hits their wings. Against humans, even unarmored, its useless. You'll barely deal any lasting damage.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It is kind of handy, in that it allocates ammo and weapons to who needs it.
Sometimes it screws up though, and gives medical supplies to rangers without the First Aid or Surgeon skill, or junk and ammo to people who don't have high strength stats.

So, yesterday I found out that a jackhammer on full auto is really good at crowd control, even if it can't pierce the target's armor. And they say shotguns are crap. I don't like the AoE thing, but damn is it effective when used properly.

I don't like doubling up on weapon types, unless its a backup weapon or melee.
Every weapon has its use if outfitted right.

Energy Weapons with Atomize are actually useful against non-conductive targets, and will out damage conventional weapons if they can't penetrate. Since they don't suffer range penalties at all, you can outfit them with scopes and engage targets at max range while still having high hit chances. A Gamma Ray Blaster with a high tier scope is basically burst fire sniper rifle. It won't deal as much damage against non-conductive targets, mind you, but it can strip away armor or cripple them.

Pistols are light, quick to use and can be outfitted to have respectable range. They can also pack a punch.

SMGs and Heavy Weapons synergize well with Psychopath and Combat Shooting, and can lay down some impressive fire.

Shotguns are crowd control weapons. If you absolutely, positively need to kill every motherfucker in the room, take a jackhammer, turn on burst fire and just go nuts. I prefer using the full choke, as range is a lot more useful than the angle.
In fact, for pistols, shotguns and SMG range upgrades are pretty much compulsory.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Wasteland 2 is so much better than Wasteland 1. Everyone who says otherwise is a retard that can't see past the nostalgia glasses.
No, I have played Wasteland 1 after Wasteland 2. Wasteland 1 has better dungeons and it's not even close, it is funnier, uses an old-school approach to dialogs and quests, is overall a more difficult game (I'm mostly not talking about combat but rather about everything else) and has a better sense of adventure for these reasons and also because of not going back and forth to the base(s). I don't mind the changes to combat and I probably liked the character sheet of Wasteland 2 better overall and loved both games anyway but Wasteland 1 is the more sophisticated game to me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://old.reddit.com/r/Wasteland/comments/cey9a5/wasteland_2_temporarily_removed_from_microsoft/

Wasteland 2 Temporarily Removed from Microsoft Store on Windows

The version of Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut currently available on the Microsoft Store on Windows (and to Xbox Game Pass for PC subscribers) has several issues impacting players, including some progress-blockers, and save game corruptions. They’re impactful enough that we’ve decided to remove the game immediately from the Microsoft Store on Windows to avoid others experiencing the same issues, until we can upload a fixed version.

If you’re playing the game and are not having any issues, you can continue to play directly from the game’s executable.

The process of removing the game and uploading a new fixed version means that once it’s available again—we’re estimating it’ll take a few weeks—it will need to be downloaded again in full, and no prior save games will work with the new version. Again, if the game is working fine, you can continue to play as long as you don’t uninstall. However, if you haven’t progressed very far, or have run into some of these issues, we recommend uninstalling and waiting until the new fixed version is available.

We apologize if you’ve had a frustrating or poor experience, and appreciate your patience while we work on a new version.

We’ll provide an update once we know when the title is expected to be available again.

FAQ

Q: Does this affect anything other than the Microsoft Store on Windows?

A: No, this is specific to the PC version on the Microsoft Store on Windows only, which also impacts the availability of the title to Xbox Game Pass subscribers through the Xbox PC app, as they share the same Microsoft Store game builds. This does not impact the Xbox One version of the game or any other platforms.

Q: I’m not having any issues, how can I continue to play?

A: You can continue to launch the game directly from the place you’ve installed it on your hard drive, but be aware that your save games will not be compatible with future versions. Your save games will almost certainly not be able to be continued in the future, so please plan accordingly.

Q: When will the game be available again?

A: We don’t have a firm date to share, but expect to have it available later this month or early next month. We’ll let everyone know when we do have a firm date.

I think I heard similar reports about crashes and save corruptions on console and specific local versions. I'd guess Steam 's English version is the most stable version.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have never had any issues with corrupted saves with the GOG version, nor heard any reports of that... sounds fishy

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well every new release (PS4/XBO release in 2015, Switch in 2018) I've seen reports of crashes and save file issues on Reddit or somewhere. (Not to mention earlier PC versions.)

I don't know if Windows Store version is any different with GOG/Steam version, but it was released in 2016 there. But probably almost no one bought and played it there until recently when Game Pass for PC became available. Looks like now people found out there are issues with that build.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder when MS enable the planned Win32 support on Windows Store and if inXile is going to replace UWP build to Win32 build there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like inXile finally remembered to create Steam trading cards for the Director's Cut. You get them retroactively.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember people saying the armor system was awful later to the point "naked" rangers was almost the way to go.
Are you a lunatic number stacker
crazyrobot.gif
or are you just playing the game?

I just played the game and didn't notice any problems. My Rangers wore armor. It was fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom