Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 - Codex Opinions Thread

Suchy

Arcane
I'm having harder times killing radscorpions than supermutants...

Don`t juadge the game untill you have played it!!1

How ironic that this sentence seems to be the case after i read some of your comments. Seriously, it makes me want to play it. Stop it. RIP Fallout.

Disconnected

Scholar
IMO it's mostly better than Oblivion (which I liked).

So apart from the problem that it's supposedly Fallout 3, not TES5, what most annoys me is the retarded VO & that random encounters are even more fucked now that they have ranged weapons.

On the other hand, some of the special encounters are pretty fucking cool. I hope I can get over the Fallout connection & enjoy it for what it is, instead of hating it for what it isn't.

elander_

Arbiter
I don't know of a bigger Fallout fanatic than Vault Dweller so if he is playing this game and having some fun i might give it a try but i'm not giving 60 euros for this and will wait for it to drop to a reasonable price. With all the shit i have already seen, with bad dialogs and the retarded karma driven choices, an elitist like me must have some standards.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Suchy said:

Me, too. It takes a couple of clips from the .10 mm pistol to put one down. I tried beating one to death with a bat and got stung to within an inch of my character's life. Bottlecap mines, on the other hand, take it out instantly.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
elander_ said:
I don't know of a bigger Fallout fanatic than Vault Dweller so if he is playing this game and having some fun...
Disclaimer:

Vault Dweller said:
There are two games here. One is a Fallout game. As a Fallout game, Fallout 3 sucks. Plain and simple.
The fact that it was supposed to be a Fallout game constantly gets in the way and requires a mental block to ignore. It's hard not to compare the game to Fallout and develop a negative impression because everything is inferior (character system, quests, characters, dialogues, combat, etc).
If you're ok with that and can approach FO3 as some PA game Bethesda cooked, you'll most likely enjoy it.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
bossjimbob said:
Suchy said:

Me, too. It takes a couple of clips from the .10 mm pistol to put one down. I tried beating one to death with a bat and got stung to within an inch of my character's life. Bottlecap mines, on the other hand, take it out instantly.

Well that's your problem right there. You're using a .10 mm pistol when you should be using a 10 mm pistol. 100 micron bullets are just annoying.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Matt7895 said:
If they actually explained why they think it's a bad game .
Because from what i've seen it's a mediocre RPG at best? Better than Oblivion, yes, but is it enough? When i played it last night it was fun, but heads falling off will not be as entertaining forever, and then you most likely will be left with mediocre RPG, horrible voice acting and poorly written dialogues included.

Virtz

Educated
My impressions:
-Karma is a joke - after blowing up Megaton you get a considerable hit to karma, but this can be easily neutralized by taking purified water (coming in unlimited amounts from the robo-buttler in your Tenpenny apartment) and giving it to the beggar (who has no limits) right in front of Tenpenny Towers. You can just as easily lose karma by firing up someone's terminal for hacking and immediately closing it and repeating this process.

-Level design similar to that of Morrowind - urban areas are pretty much like the rocky valleys of Morrowind, lots of dead ends and endless detours. You can't enter any of the buildings, they're just there to serve as walls like the gigantic, unsurpassable piles of rubble. Only thing different is the addition of underground passages via Oblivion-level-monotonous metro stations. Most other dungeons give me Dwemer ruin vibes, probably due to the large amounts of brown everywhere.

-Screwy stealth - I've yet to ever up my stealth and yet my character can rob NPCs blind, they just don't care about what you do when you wander about their house and rummage through their stuff in the other room. I think I even remember Oblivion NPCs doing this better - they followed you if you went outside their view and had a chance to hear you when you picked something up.

-Oblivious NPCs - I killed the Megaton doc by crouching behind him and shooting him in the head with a hunting rifle, which insta-stealth-killed him, yet no one outside cared. I suppose you could call this an improvement over Oblivion's psychic guards, but it's still bad, just the other way. Another funny situation was when I killed the sherriff in broad daylight and shortly afterwards his son came up and told me how his father told him I was going to disarm the bomb and that he would've approved and that I should take some stuff to help (although he didn't actually give it to me). Apparently the "Mr. Burke killed Simms" script acted up when it shouldn't have.

-Noticable level scaling - mole rats - the first few you encounter outside Megaton take 2-3 shots to the head from the 10mm pistol. Later on at level 6 I encountered a few of these elsewhere, except now I was armed with a rifle that hit for over twice as much as the 10mm and had much more skill in small arms, yet it took about the same amount of shots to kill the things. They weren't called "tough", "super" or anything, they just could take more damage and gave me more difficulties than their Megaton area cousins.

-Ridiculous equipment stat boosts - hats of +1 PER and pyjamas (not kidding) of +1 CHR.

-Combat is pretty fun - as long as you're not facing enemies that take 20+ shots to the face to die (assuming it has a face). Heads pop off nearly every time even without Bloody Mess but eh, it's a minor issue. I find myself prefering VATS over the FPS combat because most enemies fidget around too much to aim at them.

-Repair system is kind of good - at least compared to Oblivion's hammers, but I like it. Only downside is that it's practically a must if you want equipment in tip-top shape - I haven't seen a single NPC that could repair something beyond 50% yet.

-What's with the gory decorations? - be it mutants, raiders or ghouls, why do they keep piles of meat and mutilated corpses hanging from chains around? Some areas are nearly as gory as the Butcher's room in Diablo 1.

-Repetetive dialogue at times - one of the quests at Tenpenny has you asking multiple residents exactly the same question and giving exactly the same set of 3 answers to their response. They're not generic NPCs either, they're named. It's as if the dimplomatic solution was tacked on just for the sake of being there.

-Stimpacks are health potions - they're weightless and there's no penalty for abusing them (unlike in FO 1/2).

Urgh, just finished the fire-breathing ant dungeon. That was the single most boring dungeon I've seen in a Bethesda game yet, and... well, you saw my Shivering Isles LP.

Rest of the game isn't really too bad, all told. Not great, it'd be pushing it to say "good", but... not bad. Definitely better than Oblivion was.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
It's a pretty good game, much better than i thought it would be. It's more morrowind with guns than oblivion. So if you liked morrowind you should love this.

RTwP combat is unusual, i like vats but the standard shooting is atrocious.

ElPresidente

Novice
I posted this in a thread that was perhaps not the most appropriate forum for this sort of dicsussion so please forgive the re-post.

---

I've spent significantly more time with the game and while it is a good game (no, really... it is... put aside your biases for a moment for Christ's sake) it is not a great Fallout. In fact it isn't in the same league as Fallout.

It is however 100x better than Oblivion. The world is well made, the graphics enchanting, the VATS system is actually quite clever too.

HOWEVER it lacks so much of what made the Fallout series so well loved.

a) Black Humour

This is largely missing from Fallout beyond the amusing ads that show during load screens. It is a real shame and takes a lot of personality out of the game.

b) Clever Writing

The dialogue is far from horrible but it is far from great too. Fallouts 1 & 2 were characterised by fantastic writing and it simply isn't present here. Some dialogue can be fantastic but it makes up less than 5% and is drowned out by the copious amounts of average writing.

c) Character knowledge tracking

Too often you will strike up dialogue with people and suddenly your presumed to have knowledge you don't have. Or - in the alternative - your character acts like they don't know something they do when speaking to a character a second time.

This is an area the original games excelled... you really had to go out of your way to put yourself in a situation where non-existent knowledge was presumed.

Now it isn't bad enough to make the game confusing but it does hurt the immersion factor somewhat.

d) Consequential character development

Skills don't mean dick. Well that's not quite true but bar one or two perks that open up specific dialogue trees you rarelyfeel that your stat makeup is affecting the game. Be that in combat or non-combat situations.

e) Choice and consequence

The seem involving the sheriff and the gent wanting Megaton to go boom has already been discussed. There are a number of times where it feels like player agency should have an impact but it either doesn't (as in the afore mentioned case with the sheriff) or the impact feels forced. None of the subtle nuances of player decisions we found in the original Fallout games are present.

It does have significantly more CnC than Oblivion but when you slap Fallout on your box you are now playing with the big boys and we expect more.

---

Does any of this make it a bad game? Not at all. I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't enjoying every second of this game. HOWEVER I can't in all honesty say it is of a standard that gives it the right to be called the third chapter in the Fallout franchise. I just can't.

Sorry Bethesda... you made a good game but it is not a strong RPG and definitely a weak Fallout.

ElPresidente

Novice
Why on Earth would anyone come to a forum to not read opinions? I thought that was the whole point. :P

A user named cat

I have an opinion too!

This game is absolute ass, Fallout or not. I just wasted over 3 hours trying it out, enough was enough. I was close to starting up an LP thread for it, but I can't take anymore of the terrible shooting mechanics, lifeless dialogue/faces and boring everything. Peggle Nights is even more fun than this shit, uninstall and delete time.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Phantasmal said:
I have an opinion too!

This game is absolute ass, Fallout or not. I just wasted over 3 hours trying it out, enough was enough. I was close to starting up an LP thread for it, but I can't take anymore of the terrible shooting mechanics, lifeless dialogue/faces and boring everything. Peggle Nights is even more fun than this shit, uninstall and delete time.
That's right, go play Stalker, it has way better shooting mechanics, it has the newest Physeks model 24G, makes use super-aliased enhanced Shader version 3.13 EXTREEM, and the voice-acting is just soo much better.

Wait... why would someone like you post on the RPGCodex?

A user named cat

Well that was a retarded response full of assumptions, congratulations. Because I think the shooting mechanics, of what is essentially a shitty FPS hybrid sucks -- I must enjoy an equally shitty shooter like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Go logic! Forget that the V.A.T.S. system is dumb as hell, forget that this game feels exactly like Oblivion with different textures, forget that the AI is as stupid as ever (guards running into door endlessly while I shoot them), forget the massive clipping issues in combat, forget that there isn't a single piece of interesting dialogue, forget that every NPC looks like a lifeless statue and forget all the other nonsense I ran into as well.

Instead of naming off how whacked out this messed up game is, let me just pick one example. I chose my character to be a black male. My father, Lliam "I better get paid good for this'' Neeson then says something along the lines of "He's going to grow up to look just like me". Though this entire time he is a white man playing doctor. Flash forward to when the gameplay kicks in, he is suddenly an aged black man. I didn't know my father had reverse Michael Jackson disease.

The short time I spent with the game, I came across lots of little fuck ups like this. I really loved the Butch 'Fonz' character too. Some great stuff in this one. I better get back to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. though, I must be a pure FPS fan to not dig this one. Fuck me in the ass.

1eyedking

Erudite
ElPresidente said:
c) Character knowledge tracking

Too often you will strike up dialogue with people and suddenly your presumed to have knowledge you don't have. Or - in the alternative - your character acts like they don't know something they do when speaking to a character a second time.

This is an area the original games excelled... you really had to go out of your way to put yourself in a situation where non-existent knowledge was presumed.

Now it isn't bad enough to make the game confusing but it does hurt the immersion factor somewhat.
This is very true. A prime example is Megaton: the moment you enter it, the Sheriff/Mayor greets you, and you can immediately offer him to disarm the bomb, without any previous mention of it.

IM-M-M-M-M-M-M-ERSSION BREAKER!

A user named cat

Oh man, the sheriff. I also just loved how within (I think it was) the second sentece you even speak to him, he suddenly says he likes you for no reason and acts like your best pal. So hey, next time some stranger visits your town - run up to him, greet him and befriend him instantly for no reason, then trust him with a population endangering task.

Worshipping a bomb is also just great stuff, are they going to insert Scientology into Elder Scrolls V next?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Phantasmal said:
Oh man, the sheriff. I also just loved how within (I think it was) the second sentece you even speak to him, he suddenly says he likes you for no reason and acts like your best pal. So hey, next time some stranger visits your town - run up to him, greet him and befriend him instantly for no reason, then trust him with a population endangering task.
Yeah that is weird, especially how afterward you hear all these people saying they want to get into Megaton but aren't allowed though they're dying of thirst. Even within Megaton people are talking about lack of drinking water and after the first (impossible to fail) quest you get a house with a robot who gives out purified water on demand.

Worshipping a bomb is also just great stuff, are they going to insert Scientology into Elder Scrolls V next?
There is some explanation, talk to Moira and the Church guy and his wife. Doesn't make sense obviously but they're supposed to be a wacky community who distort the vague pieces of scientific knowledge from before the war.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Phantasmal said:
I have an opinion too!

This.

I was also considering starting an LP, in video. There's so much shit and gamebreakers to comment on just during the tutorial. But I stayed my hand, because you should like the game at least a little if you want to do an LP. And I have FF7 to finish anyway.

Drakron

Arcane
Well I am pretty sure he talks about Megaton being build around the bomb (and even on how the town started as a camp for people that tried to enter Vault 101) and how he feels about having it around before you get the option talk about disarming it.

Also I agree that quest is easy and "impossible to fail" but consider this ... you need 25 skill on explosives and chances are your skill is not high enough when you get the quest.

Granted that you only need a level up to fill the requirements and complete the quest and yes, the player house certainly comes from Oblivion (were they added then because House Mods were popular in Morrowind) and yes, its given way too soon but still its not as "walk from Vault 101 and get a house and a butler robot", I think its bad design in many areas but still I realize not everyone will get it within the first hour of the game the first time they play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom