Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
If Outer Worlds fails, what would that mean for the RPG market as a whole? I mean, we still get that Cyberpunk game, but that's not really where I would like the future of AAA RPG's to head.
so the future of the rpg market is either cyberpunk or retrofuturism

could be worse

Terenty

Liturgist
If Outer Worlds fails, what would that mean for the RPG market as a whole? I mean, we still get that Cyberpunk game, but that's not really where I would like the future of AAA RPG's to head.

Fails in what way? My best bet it will be a mediocre game with replayability, but shit writing, so once you beat it you wont want to play it again because of that shit writing.

As for the mass popularity and sales it wont set the world on fire and will be quickly forgotten most likely ala Numenera, Poe 2, Tyrany etc etc. So i guess it will fail so to speak

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Even if the game is shit , it gonna sell well or at least gonna pay itself because of Fallout New Vegas hype backing up it.

Also i think Epic ''exclusive'' deal won't hurt the sales..

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Succeed or fail, a AA RPG is not going to determine the fate of the AAA market. Unless TOW and/or Bloodlines 2 rack up insanely great sales, we’ll keep getting the same kind of popamole action RPGs we’ve been getting for the last fifteen years.

If TOW does well... it means we’ll get a sequel. If not, we probably won’t get a sequel.

Given that being partial Epic exclusives didn’t seem to hurt The Division 2 or Anno 1800—see Ubisoft’s latest quarterly report—I’m betting The Outer Worlds will sell just fine.

The Real Fanboy
As for the mass popularity and sales it wont set the world on fire and will be quickly forgotten most likely ala Numenera, Poe 2, Tyrany etc etc. So i guess it will fail so to speak

It's a day 1 game pass release which already had like millions of subscribers back when the subscription was only available on xbox, sis

Terenty

Liturgist

It's a day 1 game pass release which already had like millions of subscribers back when the subscription was only available on xbox, sis

So how does it translate to sales?

biggestboss

Liturgist
No, I think that's an error. One of the game's wikis has Berke erroneously listed as a companion. Den of Geek just copied that into their article without verifying.
He was the only one that looked interesting. Fucking hell, it's like they purposely made the companions as shit as possible.
Creating companions that are difficult to look at and/or enjoy the company of has been the Obsidian M.O. since POE1 and Tyranny.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Obsidian will be propped up by Microsoft money for a good long while. The biggest devs are Bethesda, CD Projekt, and Larian anyway, Obsidian will continue to remain Bioware/Bethesda Jr, Bio/Bethbitches.

Obsidian will be propped up by Microsoft money for a good long while. The biggest devs are Bethesda, CD Projekt, and Larian anyway, Obsidian will continue to remain Bioware/Bethesda Jr, Bio/Bethbitches.

Once they're making exclusives for Microsoft's next console I wouldn't be surprised to see them have better production values than Bethesda and BioWare. With the kind of money CD Projekt Red and Bethesda Games Studios games make I'm sure they'll be putting some money into them.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see a big Shadowrun coming from them since it's one of those series they own. And now Microsoft owns the Wasteland series which they can theatrically use to compete with Fallout. I still can't believe EA basically just gave away Wasteland while Bethesda was making bank with Fallout, that's got to be one of the biggest bonehead moves a media company as made in years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's an interesting question actually. It is possible that EA have some clause through which they could reclaim Wasteland (and Bard's Tale). We never did learn the full details of that, somebody should ask about it.

I could have sworn Fargo got the rights a few years before he ran the Kickstarter, but looking it up I came across this:

June 13, 2003: Brian Fargo and his new game company, inXile, acquire the rights to Wasteland with the United States Patent Office. Soon after, Mr. Fargo shows up at Snake Squeezins to ask for comments about the game from its loyal fans. He notes the reason he didn't get the rights sooner was that Electronic Arts was sitting on them. When they expired, Konami grabbed it for use with their Yu-Gi-Oh series, but they were kind enough to let him have the trademark back.
So it would've been they got Wasteland from EA the year before Bethesda snatched up Fallout. Guess it turns out that Fargo was the one just sitting on Wasteland for years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could have sworn Fargo got the rights a few years before he ran the Kickstarter, but looking it up I came across this:

June 13, 2003: Brian Fargo and his new game company, inXile, acquire the rights to Wasteland with the United States Patent Office. Soon after, Mr. Fargo shows up at Snake Squeezins to ask for comments about the game from its loyal fans. He notes the reason he didn't get the rights sooner was that Electronic Arts was sitting on them. When they expired, Konami grabbed it for use with their Yu-Gi-Oh series, but they were kind enough to let him have the trademark back.
So it would've been they got Wasteland from EA the year before Bethesda snatched up Fallout. Guess it turns out that Fargo was the one just sitting on Wasteland for years.

He's talking about the Wasteland trademark there, not the copyrights to the game itself. Those were arranged via some sort of deal with EA.

And yes, Brian Fargo had been trying to make a Wasteland 2 for many years prior to the 2012 Kickstarter.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I've always thought EA would not have hand over Wasteland IP if it had the trademark. It's a pretty good name.

Duraframe300

Arcane
If TOW does well... it means we’ll get a sequel. If not, we probably won’t get a sequel.

Depending on how interested people are in the game over gamepass it probably won't even have to do that.
At least thats the criteria Microsoft is going to care about the most.

The Real Fanboy

Can't wait to totally see new Outer Worlds stuff
g0gRYio.png
g0gRYio.png
g0gRYio.png

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I hope they shown soon the character creation or at least something new.. CyberPunk everyday has some new about it while TOW barely has any cover that isn't ''Game is about corporation.. flaws... choice.. narative... '' over and over.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do people even like playing total pacifists in rpgs?
Absolutely. Still very pleased with my stealth + speech run in New Vegas. Didn't press the attack button once.

And as DeepOcean said, it's not just that it's cool to do a "pacifist run" or a "no shoes run" or a "left hand only run" ... it's simply good for RPGs to be objective-based and have multiple ways to achieve those objectives. If I have to kill* the guards to get the diamond, it means the devs didn't give me a meaningful choice about how I want to play my character.

*That also includes knocking out all the guards with a "stun sword". As jf8350143 said, lethal/nonlethal combat isn't really the issue. It's about having violence as a possible tool to achieve your goals and then deciding whether or not to use it.

There is the Sinking City I guess, Adventure/RPG hybrid?
I really like Sinking City, but it's not an RPG hybrid. It's straight up adventure with 3rd person action mixed in.

I didn't know Obsidian had a "brilliant heritage".
My point is that I'd put all of them in the "good but flawed" category.
Eh. Brilliant and perfect are two different words.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom