Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Mustawd

Limbo sucks, wtf. Isn’t it also dirt cheap on Steam?

Black Angel

Arcane
So if you really want to stick it to them, I'd get on there and redeem every free game they offer but never transition to paying them for anything.
Nice try, Tiananmen Square.

On a more serious note, it seems that if your PC where a free game from Epic is installed for some reasons died, and that free game happened to be free only during a period before May 2019, that free game is gone from the library (at least a lot of people reported this issue) and thus the next time you want to install those free copy you grabbed, you're asked to pay for it.

The reason for this is because of the purchase history being broken, since they cleared up the purchase history 90 days after a specific purchase is made (including the ones for free games), and apparently the fuckers hasn't implemented a confirmation by email to ensure consumers holding their own purchase transaction confirmation :lol:

Seems like they are on to fixing this problem, though.

(I vaguely remembered the Codex having a problem with SidAlpha, specifically with our own Cleve Blakemore, but as far as I know he's the only one covering this issue as of the moment)

So, you cucks who actually got this piece of shit installed on your computer, check if you still got secure access to the free games you grabbed from before May and check if you can install them without being told to finally buy a copy.

Silentstorm

Learned
Oh, for the love of whatever, Tetris Effect requires SteamVR to work in VR mode, an exclusive game for the EGS REQUIRES STEAM to work on what is said to be the most optimal way to play it, it needs Valve's hardware and permission, both Oculus and Vive need Steam, funnily enough, you can make VR games using, for example, Oculus, that don't require Steam VR or anything like that, the developer just made so it would need Steam.

Apparently, when the game was being ported to PC, there was thoughts of putting it on Steam which is why they just used Steam VR because it was already there, but when Epic appeared with money, they just kept in Steam VR for anyone that wants to play Tetris Effect in the way it was meant to be played, it's just, wow, an EGS exclusive with a way of playing that literally requires Valve's stuff to work, not that it will matter since Valve doesn't seem to want to deny people the game anyways.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It is pretty hilarious, though VR is like 1% of the market so I'm not sure how much it matters practically. Still you'd think Epic would require they use a different VR middleware. Pretty silly.

The "normal" game is DRM free by the way, doesn't require the Epic client to play.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://mw5mercs.com/news/2019/07/9-development-update

It has been officially announced that Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries will now be releasing on December 10th 2019 exclusively on the Epic Games Store.

Community Pre-order pilots will be able to access the Closed Beta to access practice missions in November, prior to the game’s full launch.

Our partnership with Epic Games store allows us the opportunity to make sure MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries meets our internal goal of creating the best MechWarrior game possible.

Fans looking to obtain refunds from their pre-order of any tier are able to do so by September 1st. Pre-order refunds of any tier will be refunded in full. Additionally, those seeking refunds will be able to keep all bonus MechWarrior Online content from the Standard, Collector and Ultimate Editions of the pre-order, which amount to $100, $180, and $300 dollars worth of in-game currency and content for MechWarrior Online including all bonus items like XP, premium time, badges, decals, cockpit items and more, depending on which pre-order tier purchased.

However, refunded pre-orders will forfeit their access to the full game and be unable to participate in the upcoming closed beta for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, now scheduled for November as well as lose the exclusive MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries DLC items.

For more details on MW5 or refunds, check out the FAQ.

It's interesting to see how they would handle modding according to the FAQ.

Curratum

Curiously, on the topic of pirating games as "try before buy", I've done this for Witcher 3, theHunter Call of the Wild, Dishonored 2, Resident Evil 7, WRC racing titles, as well as a bunch of smaller titles, buying all of them within a day from pirating to try. I give a pirated game 30 minutes, after which I either delete it or buy it.

I can't stand to play something I like pirated, when I could be enjoying those sweet sweet chievos, playtime tracker and screenshot cloud that Steam has.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, you mean this?

fc346a65fe123812badb21bb5313b463.jpg
I guess I'm that guy, though I did buy Witcher 3 and GTA V after pirating them and "trying" for 20-30 hours. On the other hand I've also pirated AC:Origins and Tomb Raider (2013), but never got around to actually playing them, and at some point deleted them to free up space. :)

Silentstorm

Learned
The worst thing about being someone who likes many genres and indie games is that quite a few of EGS's free game offers are pointless to me, i only knew Moonlighter and The War Of Mine are free because of this thread, too bad i already bought the games quite a while back and i had already gotten the DLC for Moonlighter before coming to this thread.

I don't think EGS has had a single free game aside from Subnautica i would be interested in and didn't already own, not that it matters much, but hey, if i had waited a while, i could have gotten Thimbleweed Park for free with more dialogue and voice acting from the start rather than playing the game as it was released with no mini-game and less dialogue.

Silentstorm

Learned
Anyways, Mechwarrior 5 going to Epic is not something i mind that much, it seems like it's a niche title and the developer needs the money, and if going on that store is needed for more slow action mecha games to be made so be it.

Besides, Steam will get three mecha games with suprisingly decent budgets, voice acting and lots of animations in the future, granted, the three are turn-based strategy games, but still, mecha fans won't exactly be left wanting even if they refuse to use EGS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Curiously, on the topic of pirating games as "try before buy", I've done this for Witcher 3, theHunter Call of the Wild, Dishonored 2, Resident Evil 7, WRC racing titles, as well as a bunch of smaller titles, buying all of them within a day from pirating to try. I give a pirated game 30 minutes, after which I either delete it or buy it.

There's zero wrong with doing this and I salute you. I just think a ton of people act like they do this but then buy very little. Impossible to really say what the percentages are though.

hajro

Arbiter
"We regret to inform you that the DRM-free version of Blair Witch won't be released on GOG.COM on the global release day. We expect it to be available later in 2019. As such, we’re refunding your pre-order purchase of the game. The refund will be issued within the next couple of days to the original payment method."

Observer/Layersoffear devs are going cuck too it seems.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
"We regret to inform you that the DRM-free version of Blair Witch won't be released on GOG.COM on the global release day. We expect it to be available later in 2019. As such, we’re refunding your pre-order purchase of the game. The refund will be issued within the next couple of days to the original payment method."

Later in 2019? Timmy couldn't afford a whole year of exclusivity for this one?
My bet is on it being Denuvo, but I could be wrong.

Perkel

Arcane
Alan Wake as next free game coming next week.
Actually game i wanted to play but it was Xbox exclusive for years and when it went to PC i never considered buying it.

Well Tim Sweeney is right. If you want to have effect on market you need to use knees and elbows.
Looks like my first purchase will be next month. I have a group of friends and we decided to play Borderlands 3 together soo..

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

"Later in 2019" doesn't sound like it has anything to do with Epic. It's just not launching on GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom