Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You can have a cRPG set in any videogame universe of your choice

V_K

Arcane
It's not an RPG if you can't fireball Killer Bob.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Those are great books but i dont see how any of that would make for an rpg. The Long Sun otoh would be a better fit.

GURPS published once a module in the setting. I have that one and it reads playable, as long as you want to play an average Joe of this setting. So more like "Sims of the New Sun." So I think, I can see where you are coming from.

Dishonored, love that setting.

As a group RPG and everyone is marked with another sign of the Outsider? I like that idea, it could work.

Still think the B.R.P.D. - Comics (or the Hellboyverse in general) could be the base of a good RPG. They have it all: Vampires, old civilisations, crazy nazi scientists and you are part of an organisation, to bring them down. You could either be a psychic Medium (talks with ghosts or possesses enemy bodies), the average grunt (guns, guns and more guns), an Occultist (Magic and stuff) or a special agent (Werwolf or a Golem) and you would have an interesting group of characters.

Syme

Arbiter
Star Trek, but playing as a Klingon within the Empire. Game should be a squad-based tactical combat game where you start out with a run-down Bird of Prey and a crew of rejects and misfits. Over time you attract better mercenaries and get to do missions like raid lesser species, privateering, sabotage between rivaling Klingon Houses, and perhaps even black ops against other major powers in the Star Trek universe.

Alternatively (or additionally), a story-heavy RPG full of political intrigue that plays on Cardassia.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Star Trek, but playing as a Klingon within the Empire. Game should be a squad-based tactical combat game where you start out with a run-down Bird of Prey and a crew of rejects and misfits. Over time you attract better mercenaries and get to do missions like raid lesser species, privateering, sabotage between rivaling Klingon Houses, and perhaps even black ops against other major powers in the Star Trek universe.

I'd day one purchase if it has both space combat and spaceship boarding, ground combat, etc.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Those are great books but i dont see how any of that would make for an rpg. The Long Sun otoh would be a better fit.

Totally agree. The Book of the New Sun is fantastic, but it relies on a number of devices that make it ill-suited for a video game.

Severian’s narration--how do you translate any of that into a game unless you’re just rehashing the story as Severian? That’s hardly the stuff of CRPGs.

But even if we cut Severian or made him a peripheral figure, The Book of the New Sun's setting would lose so much if you tried to translate it from the written word into a visual medium. Wolfe’s worldbuilding is ingenious: he uses obscure old words, often taken from Greek and Latin, to describe Urth. When Severian talks about peltasts patrolling the streets or riding his destrier into battle—without ever really detailing what those things are—it creates sense of enormous distance from the present. Wolfe goes to great lengths to make the world seem alien to us: a future so distant that it has, in many ways, come to resemble the past. But technology has made incredible advances, it’s just that Severian rarely explains this stuff in any depth because it’s mostly unremarkable to him.

The end result lends the books an almost dreamlike quality. The way Wolfe includes details, figuring out what the world looks like is almost like solving a mystery. Severian grew up in a grounded spaceship! That's a cool thing you find out based on how he describes some of the rooms; it would lose its magic in a video game where the Matachin Tower just looks like a spaceship.

Most of the stuff that makes it special would be lost, leaving you with something that's not so different from any other dying earth setting.

I think there is an untapped potential in the Chinatown from Vampire Bloodlines, together with Hong Kong from Deus Ex. Modern setting with influences from Chinese mythology and urban legends. Main inspiration: John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I'll pile on to the Black Company and Traveller bandwagons. Either game would be great fun to start out as a low-level scrub and progress from there. Battle Brothers is a relatively good stand-in for Black Co. but the game world isn't as cool as the Black Co. universe.

Also, a Rance clone based on the Flashman books.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I'll pile on to the Black Company and Traveller bandwagons. Either game would be great fun to start out as a low-level scrub and progress from there. Battle Brothers is a relatively good stand-in for Black Co. but the game world isn't as cool as the Black Co. universe.

As Avellone pointed out when he was taking questions last year, it’s so easy to make a Black Company knockoff that nobody’s going to pay Glen Cook for the rights. Who needs Soulcatcher when you can make The Voices of Nerat? Why pay for The Ten Who Were Taken vs The Circle of Eighteen when Myth already ripped them off with The Fallen Lords vs The Nine?

Renevent

Cipher
Reading Hell Divers at the moment, so I'll just pick that. Lots of opportunity for interesting gameplay. You got your ship that constantly needs new replacement parts, survival of humanity at stake (without the big bad guy trope), suits/weapons, interesting crew/class dynamics, and the world it's set in is pretty awesome.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

As Avellone pointed out when he was taking questions last year, it’s so easy to make a Black Company knockoff that nobody’s going to pay Glen Cook for the rights. Who needs Soulcatcher when you can make The Voices of Nerat? Why pay for The Ten Who Were Taken vs The Circle of Eighteen when Myth already ripped them off with The Fallen Lords vs The Nine?

Yes, but there is a difference between a good knockoff (Myth), and a mediocre one (Tranny).

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter

Totally agree. The Book of the New Sun is fantastic, but it relies on a number of devices that make it ill-suited for a video game.

Severian’s narration--how do you translate any of that into a game unless you’re just rehashing the story as Severian? That’s hardly the stuff of CRPGs.

But even if we cut Severian or made him a peripheral figure, The Book of the New Sun's setting would lose so much if you tried to translate it from the written word into a visual medium. Wolfe’s worldbuilding is ingenious: he uses obscure old words, often taken from Greek and Latin, to describe Urth. When Severian talks about peltasts patrolling the streets or riding his destrier into battle—without ever really detailing what those things are—it creates sense of enormous distance from the present. Wolfe goes to great lengths to make the world seem alien to us: a future so distant that it has, in many ways, come to resemble the past. But technology has made incredible advances, it’s just that Severian rarely explains this stuff in any depth because it’s mostly unremarkable to him.

The end result lends the books an almost dreamlike quality. The way Wolfe includes details, figuring out what the world looks like is almost like solving a mystery. Severian grew up in a grounded spaceship! That's a cool thing you find out based on how he describes some of the rooms; it would lose its magic in a video game where the Matachin Tower just looks like a spaceship.

Most of the stuff that makes it special would be lost, leaving you with something that's not so different from any other dying earth setting.

You're right that a lot would get lost, but I don't think it's impossible.
It feels like I'm bringing this game up a lot lately, but Dark Souls hits a lot of the same themes fantastically. Dying world, every environment is a ruin that tells a story about the world's history and its current inhabitants, item descriptions reveal just enough to let you piece together the lore... not the same as a pentalogy written by Gene Wolfe, but doable.

Mustawd

You can have a cRPG set in any videogame universe of your choice

FearlessFour.jpg

02_Nightfishing_FINAL_FullSize.jpg
01_Garou_Gremlin_illo.jpg
Storkfriars_color_01.jpg
03_Wizard_Alley_Large.jpg
07_Gravemaster_01_Fullsize.jpg

Master

Arbiter

Black Company could be done like those Banner Saga games but with a bigger budget.

huskarls

Scholar
post apocalyptic caused by magic
post-post apocalyptic caused by magic
carthage
ottoman empire
pirates, caribbean or barby
the dominions strategy game
arcanum

Reinhardt

Arcane
TB Path of Exile with party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom