Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
You can brag about it to someone else, too.

I'm guessing you mean a certain Third Eye user, but I didn't descend down the elevator yet.

How do I get Aran to attack me? Flipped him off at the bar already.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Don't worry, he will find you himself. Unless you never give him a chance by using rifts to travel around.

hell bovine

Arcane
Arcanum, unfortunately it's kind of wasted on the terrible-no-good combat. But I actually prefer Arcanum's technology vs. magic approach, because you can't max both. Whereas psi is op in Underrail precisely because you don't have to compromise on tech. You can be a cave wizard and a genius inventor who crafts only the best equipment. Especially since both psi and crafting benefit from high intelligence.
Yeah, but the magic in Arcanum is straightforward fantasy-based magic. There are no scientific explanations or theories like there are in Underrail. And I love Underrail's approach where even psychic powers can be further augmented with technology, as much as fantasy-based magic that can't go hand-in-hand with steampunk-based technology of Arcanum.
It's not as straighforward as other fantasy games with wizards in it. Because most of the time, magic is only about how many spells you can cram into your wizard's spellbook. The only example I can think of atm is Geneforge 2. There, you got canisters that increased your powers (and there was a sci-fi explanation for that too), but also changed you in other ways. Take too many and your character would get a drastic personality makeover.

In Underrail, the only long lasting effect from taking the pill is a cut to your hp, whether you have only a few psi points in a support skill, or are a full blown cave wizard. What I'd like to see is more consequences; if the explanation for psi is that it's genetics/biochemistry/physiology/whatever, then show it. As you progress in psi powers, maybe some meds stop working on your body, or you get unforseen side effects, or you are more susceptible to poisons etc.

Black Angel

Arcane
You can go full quad PSI, quad crafting, get all 3 social skills, and lockpicking/hacking/stealth.

Tranquility PSI is the strongest build in the game and trivializes DOMINATING, how PSI has escaped the nerfhammer is a mystery.
You can get a combination of them, but not ALL PSI + decent investment in crafting, lockpicking, hacking, and/or stealth. My previous stealthy-PSI invested zero in Metathermics, while only invested in Psychokinesis half as much as Thought Control (which is maxed), + full crafting to get best infused cave hopper leather armor (which I only used sparingly because I love Rathound Regalia so much), best psionic headband, + best black tabi boots to maximize stealth and movement points.

In this one, not only I'm looking to maximize Metathermics, I also got Temporal Manipulation to worry about. I'm level 25 now, with finalized points invested into lockpicking and hacking, will increase them further with the help of
Lemurian Engineer Suit
and Huxkey, the rest of my points will be dumped into Electronics + Biology because I only want to craft a good psionic headband.

The thing about Tranquility is you really need to get those alpha strike chances as much as possible, and to do this you either do it from stealth or win initiative rolls. If you didn't achieve any of this, you'll at least need some form of defense like a good shield that completely absorb damages until it's your turn, or you have dodge/evasion which, as discussed, not entirely worth the investment in the long run with the exception evasion that lets you reduces AoE damage, but still won't prevent your Tranquility from being rendered obsolete because of losing a mere 1% HP.

IDK, maybe I'm still not getting used to playing with the maxed speed-up out-of-combat while in stealth. But after the nth time of losing initiative rolls/made some wrong move while in stealth and losing a mere 1% HP from whatever it is damaging me and had to compensate by consuming a health hypo to make Tranquility relevant, it became rather boring personally.
The torch is the mcguffin
that lets you kill the expedition boss and a few natives.
You don't get much for it though, an oddity (+ temple one) and you can brag to Azif about it.
The expedition boss? You mean Professor Oldfield/Chief Briggs/both? I'm not sure how that adds up, but seems like I'll see it myself one day.

Also, the way you describe it, seems like you managed to solve the Shard puzzle without Azif's help. How?
It's not as straighforward as other fantasy games with wizards in it. Because most of the time, magic is only about how many spells you can cram into your wizard's spellbook. The only example I can think of atm is Geneforge 2. There, you got canisters that increased your powers (and there was a sci-fi explanation for that too), but also changed you in other ways. Take too many and your character would get a drastic personality makeover.

In Underrail, the only long lasting effect from taking the pill is a cut to your hp, whether you have only a few psi points in a support skill, or are a full blown cave wizard. What I'd like to see is more consequences; if the explanation for psi is that it's genetics/biochemistry/physiology/whatever, then show it. As you progress in psi powers, maybe some meds stop working on your body, or you get unforseen side effects, or you are more susceptible to poisons etc.
But Arcanum DOES has wizards. A lot of them, with their own city in fact. Heck, the final boss IS a damn wizard. Haven't played Geneforge so I guess I'll see it myself.

Still, I think permanent HP penalty is a good compromise in terms of the relationship between gameplay and verisimilitude. You can even take a veteran feat that reduce your psi abilities cost with yet another further permanent HP penalty. I'd like to see more psi-related consequences, too, but if Styg wants to do that he would need to expand it further to other physiological and biological topic. For instances, using some drugs will give you an instant, albeit temporary, side effects. Adrenaline shots leave your character Fatigued, having decreased action points for a short time, while Morphine causes you to take 50% of your missing health as damage when its intended effect ends. Would you like to see something like Fallout's Addiction to Drugs mechanics applied to Underrail? I'd like to see it too, and in turn also some significant consequence to investing in psionic powers. But we can see that the game isn't just about psionic powers. There's regular combat skills, there's subterfuge, and then there's diplomacy, with as much focus on exploration. For now, I'd love to see more use for psionics in non-combat gameplay, like more use of Thought Control in conversation or to gain information from people who otherwise won't just give it away to you, ACTUAL use of Psychokinesis spells in environment like Bisson demonstrated when he helped clearing up the rock blockade from the earthquake, although we now can use spells like Electrokinesis on some volatile fuse box and obviously spells like cryokinesis/pyrokinesis on explosive barrels since ever.... but still.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Any decent way to trigger Aran attacking?

Finally finished the DLC, really love how
it hints at the natives being the subislanders that left the underwater station during the disunion
but I still have
some of natives territory unexplored. I did committed genocide in parts of the village, though, which completely deterred anymore attacks as I explored the BSRF, Security Headquarters, Fetid Marsh, Viridescent Quarry (or what's left of it, anyway) and the underwater station all in one go. Also, it seems like there's a quest related to the natives, some thing about finding the torch or something. The graveyard is also some real spooky shit. So spooky, it scares the game's saving mechanism away :lol:

You don't get much for it though, an oddity (+ temple one) and you can brag to Azif about it.
Where is that graveyard you are talking about? Also did you do the monolith part? It seemed pretty meh for all the trouble went trough sneaking past the pirates. It just gave me some vision and that was all.

Monolith at the entrance? Got a vision, a spike I didn't find a use for and saw the scales of Yngwar. Useless all in all.
Graveyard is near a ferryman docking point, just a bit down from the joint security dungeon.
LoL the graveyears is pretty meh,i was expecting to find that monolith like statue that the ferryman threw at the savage.But there was nothing in the whole graveyard,only the annoying ghosts.

Parabalus

Arcane
What's the verdict on the katana compared to crafted machetes? I don't have any q160 stuff to check.

Katana seems to have higher average dmg of 35 and super high crit bonus (300% vs 180%), but low crit (2% vs 10% with Weaponsmith). Seems much better than gun uniques.

Don't worry, he will find you himself. Unless you never give him a chance by using rifts to travel around.

He came at me (waiting in the basement) after I rifted to the house. Guess just some time needs to pass.

Parabalus

Arcane

it hints at the natives being the subislanders that left the underwater station during the disunion
but I still have
some of natives territory unexplored. I did committed genocide in parts of the village, though, which completely deterred anymore attacks as I explored the BSRF, Security Headquarters, Fetid Marsh, Viridescent Quarry (or what's left of it, anyway) and the underwater station all in one go. Also, it seems like there's a quest related to the natives, some thing about finding the torch or something. The graveyard is also some real spooky shit. So spooky, it scares the game's saving mechanism away :lol:

Where is that graveyard you are talking about? Also did you do the monolith part? It seemed pretty meh for all the trouble went trough sneaking past the pirates. It just gave me some vision and that was all.

Monolith at the entrance? Got a vision, a spike I didn't find a use for and saw the scales of Yngwar. Useless all in all.
Graveyard is near a ferryman docking point, just a bit down from the joint security dungeon.
LoL the graveyears is pretty meh,i was expecting to find that monolith like statue that the ferryman threw at the savage.But there was nothing in the whole graveyard,only the annoying ghosts.

Did you find the torch? That's what he threw.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

but I still have

Nope,where is it? I am searching to see if i can use it on the monolith thingy in the savage land or the big monolith.

Parabalus

Arcane

but I still have

Nope,where is it? I am searching to see if i can use it on the monolith thingy in the savage land or the big monolith.

It's randomized, you need to talk to either
Yngwar or Ferryman+look at the symbol on the hammer at the big native camp. Then you need to find the (also randomized) bone crank in the graveyard and pull up the right body (the above mentioned symbol) + search the right body part (ferryman or Yngwar). With it you can kill the shadowliths in the native temple and Abyssal station, but you get nothing but 2 oddities + bragging rights.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can go full quad PSI, quad crafting, get all 3 social skills, and lockpicking/hacking/stealth.

Tranquility PSI is the strongest build in the game and trivializes DOMINATING, how PSI has escaped the nerfhammer is a mystery.
You can get a combination of them, but not ALL PSI + decent investment in crafting, lockpicking, hacking, and/or stealth. My previous stealthy-PSI invested zero in Metathermics, while only invested in Psychokinesis half as much as Thought Control (which is maxed), + full crafting to get best infused cave hopper leather armor (which I only used sparingly because I love Rathound Regalia so much), best psionic headband, + best black tabi boots to maximize stealth and movement points.

In this one, not only I'm looking to maximize Metathermics, I also got Temporal Manipulation to worry about. I'm level 25 now, with finalized points invested into lockpicking and hacking, will increase them further with the help of
Lemurian Engineer Suit
and Huxkey, the rest of my points will be dumped into Electronics + Biology because I only want to craft a good psionic headband.

The thing about Tranquility is you really need to get those alpha strike chances as much as possible, and to do this you either do it from stealth or win initiative rolls. If you didn't achieve any of this, you'll at least need some form of defense like a good shield that completely absorb damages until it's your turn, or you have dodge/evasion which, as discussed, not entirely worth the investment in the long run with the exception evasion that lets you reduces AoE damage, but still won't prevent your Tranquility from being rendered obsolete because of losing a mere 1% HP.

IDK, maybe I'm still not getting used to playing with the maxed speed-up out-of-combat while in stealth. But after the nth time of losing initiative rolls/made some wrong move while in stealth and losing a mere 1% HP from whatever it is damaging me and had to compensate by consuming a health hypo to make Tranquility relevant, it became rather boring personally.
The expedition boss? You mean Professor Oldfield/Chief Briggs/both? I'm not sure how that adds up, but seems like I'll see it myself one day.

Also, the way you describe it, seems like you managed to solve the Shard puzzle without Azif's help. How?

But Arcanum DOES has wizards. A lot of them, with their own city in fact. Heck, the final boss IS a damn wizard. Haven't played Geneforge so I guess I'll see it myself.

Still, I think permanent HP penalty is a good compromise in terms of the relationship between gameplay and verisimilitude. You can even take a veteran feat that reduce your psi abilities cost with yet another further permanent HP penalty. I'd like to see more psi-related consequences, too, but if Styg wants to do that he would need to expand it further to other physiological and biological topic. For instances, using some drugs will give you an instant, albeit temporary, side effects. Adrenaline shots leave your character Fatigued, having decreased action points for a short time, while Morphine causes you to take 50% of your missing health as damage when its intended effect ends. Would you like to see something like Fallout's Addiction to Drugs mechanics applied to Underrail? I'd like to see it too, and in turn also some significant consequence to investing in psionic powers. But we can see that the game isn't just about psionic powers. There's regular combat skills, there's subterfuge, and then there's diplomacy, with as much focus on exploration. For now, I'd love to see more use for psionics in non-combat gameplay, like more use of Thought Control in conversation or to gain information from people who otherwise won't just give it away to you, ACTUAL use of Psychokinesis spells in environment like Bisson demonstrated when he helped clearing up the rock blockade from the earthquake, although we now can use spells like Electrokinesis on some volatile fuse box and obviously spells like cryokinesis/pyrokinesis on explosive barrels since ever.... but still.

You can get everything as PSI. With high INT + benches + Hypercerebrix you can craft q160 stuff with 80-90 skill points, the social skills you can leave at 40ish thanks to 19 WILL and still hit every check.

As Tranq, use a regen vest to top yourself off at the start of the turn. As PSI you also have mirror images, which with max TC blocks 10+ attacks.

Meant the "endboss", aka the shadowlith at the Abyssal station. I inspected the shard twice, second time it turned into the torch. It's the same thing as if you just showed it to Azif.

Adding even more power to PSI through the use of non-combat stuff is bonkers when he repeatetedly nerfs non-PSI stuff.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

but I still have

Yngwar or Ferryman+look at the symbol on the hammer at the big native camp. Then you need to find the (also randomized) bone crank in the graveyard and pull up the right body (the above mentioned symbol) + search the right body part (ferryman or Yngwar). With it you can kill the shadowliths in the native temple and Abyssal station, but you get nothing but 2 oddities + bragging rights.
That is retarded because you can't interact with the machine and the corpses during combat,but that thing constantly respawns. Fuck that is bullshit,can't even exam the corpse before it comes!

Parabalus

Arcane

but I still have

That is retarded because you can't interact with the machine and the corpses during combat,but that thing constantly respawns. Fuck that is bullshit,can't even exam the corpse before it comes!

Yeah, tbh I don't know how that's supposed to work. I did an exploration run, got an idea of what I was supposed to do, then reloaded the hard save the game makes, and rushed through it.

Didn't see a single spirit.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I concur.
Especially after getting "mid leveled spells" nothing can touch a full psi user. Burn this, freeze that, electrocute robots, here have some force wall or doppelganger if you feel lonely.
Specialzed gear makes it even more absurd.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
tbh I'm disappointed Aran can't follow me to Deep Caverns with some extra hilarious dialogue to boot

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, tbh I don't know how that's supposed to work. I did an exploration run, got an idea of what I was supposed to do, then reloaded the hard save the game makes, and rushed through it.

the way you do (the hard way that isn't leaving the area then enabling combat then SPRINTING to the bone machine then disabling combat) is to drag the ghost to the other side of the place, then run the fuck past him as far as you can and then stealth, then probably turn the game to slomo so you can interact with the machine before he finds you

honestly finding the crank is the biggest troll in the known universe it's both painful and the fact it even exists isn't referenced ingame anywhere so you can't figure it out without meta knowledge or mass spamming of the cranks

there are probably 3-4 different builds which trivialise dominating, Psi isn't even the one that comes online earliest that's good old burst SMG

Inf0mercial

Augur
Booted up game to try Expedition, started new char and decided on melee, buy sword and spear at start to test both, sword reduces first rat hound to 2 attack on 3 hits, spear blocks 30 damage from next 3 and kills them in 2 shots.

What the fuck.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

but I still have

Ahhh i decided to not even bother with stupidity,you have to waste an hour do that shit,forget it,i experienced most of the dlc and it is time for greener pastures.

Parabalus

Arcane

the way you do (the hard way that isn't leaving the area then enabling combat then SPRINTING to the bone machine then disabling combat) is to drag the ghost to the other side of the place, then run the fuck past him as far as you can and then stealth, then probably turn the game to slomo so you can interact with the machine before he finds you

honestly finding the crank is the biggest troll in the known universe it's both painful and the fact it even exists isn't referenced ingame anywhere so you can't figure it out without meta knowledge or mass spamming of the cranks

If you're PSI you can force field then exit/reenter the area, but my method above is by far the most painless.

Do you mean finding the right body or the bone crank itself? The location on the body is referenced very explicitly by Yngwar, but it's also hinted by the rune on the hammer.

The crank is pretty infuriating, since it can appear both by itself and already attached to a hoist.

I concur.
Especially after getting "mid leveled spells" nothing can touch a full psi user. Burn this, freeze that, electrocute robots, here have some force wall or doppelganger if you feel lonely.
Specialzed gear makes it even more absurd.

Basically with a full PSI build at no point must you use your brain, the solution is always obvious. If you have stealth it's even more ridiculous.

but I still have

Ahhh i decided to not even bother with stupidity,you have to waste an hour do that shit,forget it,i experienced most of the dlc and it is time for greener pastures.

You can do it 3 minutes, just don't waste time looting the pots and go straight for the grave. The torch is one of the coolest parts of the DLC, don't miss out.

ciox

Liturgist
Booted up game to try Expedition, started new char and decided on melee, buy sword and spear at start to test both, sword reduces first rat hound to 2 attack on 3 hits, spear blocks 30 damage from next 3 and kills them in 2 shots.

What the fuck.
What the fuck indeed.

Sykar

Arcane
Basically with a full PSI build at no point must you use your brain, the solution is always obvious. If you have stealth it's even more ridiculous.

You mistake full PSI with assault rifle build. PSI is for sure one of the strongest builds, but especially 3 con Tranquility needs to execute well and does not allow for a lot of mistakes. Psychosis needs to balance HP well early on until you get all the necessary defensive feats and meds plus it struggles with the additional PSI cost until you find good mufflers for your band and get enough crafting for a decent PSI beetle vest. Both need to manage quite a few CDs as well as well as PSI which drains fast. Usually you are out of PSI after the first or second round even with PSI booster and your capabilities without PSI stink.
Meanwhile tin can assault rifle can yolo through the game by spamming burst.

Parabalus

Arcane

You mistake full PSI with assault rifle build. PSI is for sure one of the strongest builds, but especially 3 con Tranquility needs to execute well and does not allow for a lot of mistakes. Psychosis needs to balance HP well early on until you get all the necessary defensive feats and meds plus it struggles with the additional PSI cost until you find good mufflers for your band and get enough crafting for a decent PSI beetle vest. Both need to manage quite a few CDs as well as well as PSI which drains fast. Usually you are out of PSI after the first or second round even with PSI booster and your capabilities without PSI stink.
Meanwhile tin can assault rifle can yolo through the game by spamming burst.

After PSI boosters CDs were reduced to 3 turns and with the addition of TM and Hemopsychosis there is no more PSI management, even for Psychosis.

You'll be hard pressed to use a Cigar, Coffee or the new foods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom