Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a good SRPG to play

Zyondyne

Learned
As the title says, I'm looking for a good SRPG to play that has at least a serviceable if not somehow intriguing story and is not a japanese over-the-top bullshit (I'm looking at you, Disgaea).

Really liked Telepath Tactics, the buggy-ridden fest that it is.

World's End flash game was also a nice experience.

Please no Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle. Also, please no completely storyless X-com clones.

Already played Fallout Tactics.

Thanks.

Latro

Arcane
treasure hunter G (snes)
FEDA/shining force series
front mission series

not over-the-top, but still plenty jrpg. when it comes to PC the undisputed kings are JA2 and Xcom. this one is supposed to be good
https://af.gog.com/game/missionforce_cyberstorm?as=1649904300

silent storm is more or less a x-com clone, but the WW2 setting and fully destructible environments makes it fun and different enough

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen

Warbanners for real gud and challenging tactical combat, Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate for an x-com-lite experience, cheesy oneliners and good music

They both are pretty light on RPG elements, though

wyes gull

Savant
You've got Halfway, a pretty underrated TB squad indie with a System Shock vibe. Good difficulty curve too iirc.
And Advance Wars too. Not really proper RPGs so if you want that, you might go the Shadowrun reboot route. Tactical component is all over the place in those ones tho.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Lots of good ones has been already mentioned, but I'm going to add a few.
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark.
Hard West.
Perhaps Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

hellbent

Augur
Here are some with varying degrees of story vs TB combat depending on the game. Some are more strategy with light story elements.

Vigilantes
Blackguards 1 & 2
Dungeon Rats
Warhammer 40k - Sanctus Reach
Fantasy Wars / Elven Legacy
Banner Saga Series
Dead State

Zyondyne

Learned
Already played all the Shadowrun reboot games, AoD/Dungeon Rats and Banner Saga Series.

Vigilantes was okay, but extremely short and repetitive.

Tried Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, almost no narrative whatsoever. Didn't like it at all. The art style really itches me the wrong way and the fact that the recruitable units are basically randomly generated/customizable in appearance and with no backstory is very off-putting. It's like playing avatar maker simulator, really.

Had my eyes on Hard West for a while, not gonna lie.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden overheats my shitty laptop for some reason.

Heard Dead State is kind of a slog. Especially the resource/base management stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm taking them all into consideration. If you got any more of them, keep them coming.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Warbanners is the game you seek, it delivers gameplay wise with a very good combat and handcrafted encounters, some story-telling to read between mission and some unique companions to recruit.

Someone mentioned Battle Brothers, the combat is very good but there is no story, you just go from one quest to another and when you reach the leveling soft cap (lvl 11) it's hard to get the motivation to go on to fight end-game monsters, leveling-up, equipping your mercenaries and fighting is pretty much everything that drives you so remove two of them, it's not that fun anymore.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Heroes of Steel and Templar Battleforce are both pretty good.

edit.
Freedom Force -series, but who hasn't played it yet?

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Battle For Wesnoth is free and really really good.
It's probably the best choice for you.
It's an ongoing opensource project which was release in 2003 but is actively developing even now.
Good mod support which means tons of content.
Basic systems are very solid, the game is stable and has beautiful art.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Wesnoth's extreme RNG kinda bugs me, and it's not gonna jive with you if you don't like generic proc gen units--but it's a very good game otherwise. I'll also second Battle Brothers, which I quite liked even back when it was in alpha.

If you enjoyed the deterministic nature of TT and you don't mind shedding the RPG character progression, I'd recommend checking out Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire. I enjoyed my time with it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, probably the best of the series next to 4, 5 and the spiritual sucessors on the PS1/PS2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom