Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest - turn-based isometric RPG from Grimrock devs

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They haven't released any mod tools yet.
Sorry, I fucked that sentence up. I meant to say that I have no idea what they were thinking when they released the game without the mod tools, supplying the mod tools later. Because while it'd been possible to catch people into the whole mod thing on release, as they were playing the game, maybe just finished, etc., I think it's going to be practically impossible to get people to go back and revisit the game - both to get modders themselves to work with the game, and to get people that actually wants to reinstall the game just to try mods.

It's a very "fire and forget" type of game. I liked it, but if it wasn't for this conversation we're having, I'd probably already have forgotten about it.

Codex Year of the Donut
who would actually want to take time to create mods for this game?
I could sum up my experience in three words: "bland, boring, generic"

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Just saw this comment about it online, "Love the graphics, but the 'Turn base' just ruins it for me." So they make a bland noobified game but the noobs don't like it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mod tools are here:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/954650/announcements/detail/1595884371679145717

Major Update: Level Editor!
21 AUG @ 11:48AM - PETRI
91c8ce78f53dd708a255647fcd4a3980eac8d216.png

With the latest update to version 1.2.0 Druidstone now has a built-in level editor and support for modding and Steam Workshop! Build new levels, add new weapons and equipment, create custom monsters and abilities. With full Lua scripting support with over 2000 functions available for mods, the only limit is your imagination.

Tutorial videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY5OZPsccbrWooeM8sHzo17TM79FJhJu1

Official modding documentation:
https://github.com/ctrlaltninja/druidstone_modding/wiki

Happy modding!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They really didn't learn from the Grimrock 2 release five years ago?

The Grimrock 1 modding community was very lively and a large number of user-made dungeons, assets and content were created for the game. Dungeons are still being created, in fact. People had to wait for the modding tools, but they did arrive and there was much rejoicing.

By comparison Grimrock 2's modding scene however never really took off, because people had to not only wait for the modding tools, but also for the inevitable porting tools for Grimrock 1 assets to link the games (and communities) together. By then it was too late.

And now this.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Saw it on a sale, remembered I bought it on launch and never really tried it.

Now 6 levels are finished and time just flew. I'm really liking this, even though I usually hate this kindergarten art style in my games. Why does everything has to be aimed at 8-year olds nowadays? That said something about this game is gently stroking my autism, it's clear the devs were quality spergs, every last of them. It's simple and light but that's ok, sometimes one doesn't have the time or inclination for a month long commitment.

A great fizzy light drink for the end of the summer, as we yet again begin our long, dismal fall into the winter dark.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I tried this today, hated it. At first I was super excited, felt like a new FFT, and in some ways it is. But it is so brutal and aspy-ish, tuned so you have to do the exact correct thing on all 15 turns or you fail and have to replay the entire map again, and sometimes trial and error what to do because there is no indication of what a good strategic approach is. It doesn't matter how much of a strategy grandmaster you think you are, if you take the obviously better path and then a bunch of extra enemies spawn right in front of you... That is a game designed to make you replay the level.

FFT was tough too and sometimes needed a restart, but mostly a good strategist could figure out what to do. This game needs grindy replays. The nail in the coffin for me is that in an already unfair game, they also have RNG which is such bullshit. For example one map has you fight several enemies with 3 characters, and you can't lose a single HP. I tried this 6 times and failed each time, I decided it was impossible and the game was bugged. I could achieve the maximum success on every turn (killing 1-2 enemies), but there is always another enemy that nips you for 1hp and you fail. Then on my "I'll give this one last go" 7th attempt... instead of a health potion dropping on the first enemy as it did 6 times in a row, an action point potion dropped which lets you basically have 2 turns. So then the win was easy... Total bullshit.

But winning with 0hp lost was an optional extra objective so I kept going. Then I had another bullshit battle, I rescue a guy, have to flee to the exit. The first time I looted an invisibility potion from the chest, but I clicked it by mistake. I still play well, my party fights close to the exit and I run the prisoner almost out the front door, then an army appears blocking the entrance. They 1 shot him. All I needed to do was use the invis potion at the last step. Fine... I'll replay this bitch. But on the replay, no invis potion, and I failed trying to escape. Again, I know I can win on attempt 3 or 4, especially if that potion drops again... but the problem is that you have to wonder if replaying these little anal battles is even fun? For me the answer is no. I just finished TOEE which was so much more fun. A better comparison is Blackguards which has similar grid based + turn based battles. That game seems a lot better, although I don't know how advanced this one gets in the higher levels. I don't know if I will just uninstall this or see how it goes.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But it is so brutal and aspy-ish, tuned so you have to do the exact correct thing on all 15 turns or you fail and have to replay the entire map again

I thought so too, playing on Normal. But then I watched some videos and uber-aspies can play this on Hard AND do all the optional objectives AND do it in several different ways.

And yes, the whole point of the game is to figure out optimal, or at least successful, strategies through error and failure. But replaying a map isn't exactly a big deal, it's about 10-15 minutes per attempt.

Bara

Arcane
I gave it a go again with the quarantine it was a little better with the new items (at least I think they were new?) and I did have fun but I still lost potential.

In other news Petrih's other project Fall of the Blackmage is almost done. That Vic20 gold box style rpg he's been making.

Plus some other bits from prior months

Bara

Arcane
Petrih's doing Frosthaven stuff as a guest developer. Sooo maybe a while till we see a new major game project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom