Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Well at least you guys are ranged, my melee character getting killed in two turns, because apparently locusts can pierce armor from FUCKING SUPER STEEL and take out my shield in one turn.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well at least you guys are ranged, my melee character getting killed in two turns, because apparently locusts can pierce armor from FUCKING SUPER STEEL and take out my shield in one turn.

If I ever start playing again then I will go full Psi + 10 Constitution and I will kill everything on sight.

Parabalus

Arcane
If I ever start playing again then I will go full Psi + 10 Constitution and I will kill everything on sight.
Something tells me that even psi character will feel like shit, because how fucking fast these guys breed and they doing this even out of combat.

I played through with the above on DOMINATING and it was still monotone. You get 20+ enemies aggroed in the villages and spider bases, which would be fine on its own, but you have to clear 3-4 identical areas for every quest.

It drags you down.

Parabalus

Arcane
give me a good psi build

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQMDAwkDCgkAAAAAAAAADw8AAAAAAAAADw8PDw8ADytQYt-_

Plows through DOMINATING, can get every content skill if you want to minmax.
Is survival instincts actually good? Do you mostly fight at sub 30% HP?

Very good sub lvl15, afterwards I just ran with regen vest coz shit in expedition has hard to avoid damage and you are op anyway.

Codex Year of the Donut
give me a good psi build

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQMDAwkDCgkAAAAAAAAADw8AAAAAAAAADw8PDw8ADytQYt-_

Very good sub lvl15, afterwards I just ran with regen vest coz shit in expedition has hard to avoid damage and you are op anyway.
How do you deal with having shit carrying capacity? I'm a packrat.

Parabalus

Arcane
give me a good psi build

How do you deal with having shit carrying capacity? I'm a packrat.

+60 from lifting belt and pig leather boots. I usually took pack rat feat but with the lifting belt change did not miss it.

If you do not like SI might be interesting to take STR to 8 or 9 so you can run with metal armor, with the expansion psi beetle armor is not as needed since you have too much psi points anyway.

ciox

Liturgist
I haven't entered Expedition yet and after reading your reviews, I don't even want to.
:negative:

Just join the expedition then immediately pivot to doing pirate raids and sticking to the waterways of Lower Underrail.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you join the pirates, do you not get to investigate the Leumerian facilities? You should still be able to right?

hell bovine

Arcane

I wonder whether that would be the quickest way to dispose of large mobs. What about tin can & rifle, but with temporal magic added to the mix? Haste spell makes moving in heavy armor quite easy.
edit: Or electroshock & laser gunner with temporal magic? It's like the devs are trying to give everyone a hint. Temporal, temporal, temporal. :lol:

Mind you, I haven't played through the expedition yet; only took a sneak peek and witnessed the amazing ai during the beach defense. (I hope the nice sniper lady you meet in the beginning isn't necessary to progress the quest, because she's dead.)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
toro has one excellent point (and maybe others, but this is the one I wish to comment on), and that is the inconsistency of which actions will and won't de-stealth you.

I can recharge electronic devices stealthily, but I can't inject myself with drugs stealthily. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

I can manually open a set of solid steel doors stealthily, but I can't reach out and press a tiny button on The Rig stealthily. That is full-blown retarded.

Styg seriously needs to do a "consistency pass" next. If being consistent breaks something, then change that thing so that it works with the newly-implemented consistent rules and principles.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yahota isn't necessary.

I played a spearman through most of the expansion pack before calling it quits, because it was fucking pointless. Crabs crabs crabs statues statues statues. It's not hard, you just rinse and repeat like an MMO. A sniper got through it faster, but not any more interesting. I'd imagine PSI or tin can AR will do it even faster like it does for everything else.

Regarding the stealth consistency - there's a nice moment in one of the ruins where you carefully stealth past turrets and cameras and everything, get yourself into the security room, access the computer to lift the lockdown.... except typing on a computer de-stealthes you, and now the stone statues see you through the glass and you're in combat. It doesn't fuck you up, but it's just another one of those things.

Going off toro's points, I think the big worry for me is that Styg is one of our greatest hopes for good RPGs, and I hope he takes the right lessons from spending 4 years on this thing. You can't always slam dunk and Underrail was so good that we hold him to high expectations, but I think most of all we don't want to see him drift off into thinking the expansion content is where his future games have to go. Please, no. Underrail wasn't perfect but it was god damn good. Expeditions is not.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nonsense. Jet skis alone were worth the price of admission. I thought they'd be so-so, but instead they're great. :love:

Throw in stuff like The Dude's new content and the conversations between Chad Ladelman and Virgin What's-His-Name, and I call that worth $10.

One of the issues here, I think, is that the only way to match the core game's combat content would be to do more of the same. Making something that feels and plays differently, and also is challenging in a different way, is a tough task.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nonsense. Jet skis alone were worth the price of admission. I thought they'd be so-so, but instead they're great. :love:

Throw in stuff like The Dude's new content and the conversations between Chad Ladelman and Virgin What's-His-Name, and I call that worth $10.

One of the issues here, I think, is that the only way to match the core game's combat content would be to do more of the same. Making something that feels and plays differently, and also is challenging in a different way, is a tough task.
The way around this is to focus on interesting encounters and levels. I feel like if the enemies in the Leumerian facilities were as varied and interesting as the natives for example, things would have been better; and I also think we could have done a little bit more "scripted encounters", if you know what I'm saying? Like quests that lead to specific combat encounters, which differentiate from normal fights agaisnt enemies due to an interesting mechanic, setting, or whatever that was introduced.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok. I started a new playthrough. And again, capturing the cave hoppers is ATROCIOUS. Together with next to no shortcut keys for common actions, it is already seriously getting on my nerves.

If you make something, MAKE SURE IT WORKS. Or remove it.

Ok. I started a new playthrough. And again, capturing the cave hoppers is ATROCIOUS. Together with next to no shortcut keys for common actions, it is already seriously getting on my nerves.

I don't understand can't you just start combat then use the cage on them?

SymbolicFrank

Magister

I don't understand can't you just start combat then use the cage on them?

Go into stealth. Throw the net. Ok.
Right-click the cage and left-click the hopper. Run towards it. Ok. End your turn.
Right-click the cage again and left-click the hopper. Shoot the hopper. Bad! Take a step sideways and try again. Shoot the hopper again. BAD! End your turn.
Run to a different map, re-enter, go into stealth, and try again.

Once in a while, it goes into capture mode, which fails most of the time. REALLY BAD!

Try again. Or uninstall, if you have had enough.

And none of the above is documented. You have to Google it.

Jezal_k23

OK guy, you're seriously overcomplicating one of the simplest tasks in the game.

You don't even really need stealth (but it helps, so please use it). Go into combat as close as you can get to hoppers. Use your movement points to get close as you can. Throw net. If this succeeds, then end turn. Next turn, use the cage on the captured hopper. Voila. Easily done.

Alternatively, set up a hopper trap in front of one of their hidey holes. As soon as one steps in your trap, start combat. Use cage on hopper. Voila. Even easier.

Please don't act outraged over a simple task that's meant to teach you how to enter combat strategically, and how to use items at your disposal. It's important that the game teaches you this because you'll use it the rest of the game. It's not that hard to learn, I'm not sure why your googling didn't pay off.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom