Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
Ok. I started a new playthrough. And again, capturing the cave hoppers is ATROCIOUS. Together with next to no shortcut keys for common actions, it is already seriously getting on my nerves.

If you make something, MAKE SURE IT WORKS. Or remove it.
I don't understand can't you just start combat then use the cage on them?

Go into stealth. Throw the net. Ok.
Right-click the cage and left-click the hopper. Run towards it. Ok. End your turn.
Right-click the cage again and left-click the hopper. Shoot the hopper. Bad! Take a step sideways and try again. Shoot the hopper again. BAD! End your turn.
Run to a different map, re-enter, go into stealth, and try again.

Once in a while, it goes into capture mode, which fails most of the time. REALLY BAD!

Try again. Or uninstall, if you have had enough.

And none of the above is documented. You have to Google it.

You can drag the hopper cage to the action bar.

Then you 2-left click.

Easiest way is to stand next to hole, wait till hopper spawns, enter combat, cage him.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok. I started a new playthrough. And again, capturing the cave hoppers is ATROCIOUS. Together with next to no shortcut keys for common actions, it is already seriously getting on my nerves.

If you make something, MAKE SURE IT WORKS. Or remove it.
I don't understand can't you just start combat then use the cage on them?

Go into stealth. Throw the net. Ok.
Right-click the cage and left-click the hopper. Run towards it. Ok. End your turn.
Right-click the cage again and left-click the hopper. Shoot the hopper. Bad! Take a step sideways and try again. Shoot the hopper again. BAD! End your turn.
Run to a different map, re-enter, go into stealth, and try again.

Once in a while, it goes into capture mode, which fails most of the time. REALLY BAD!

Try again. Or uninstall, if you have had enough.

And none of the above is documented. You have to Google it.

You can drag the hopper cage to the action bar.

I tried that. It didn't work. It also didn't fit in a utility slot.

Then you 2-left click.

Easiest way is to stand next to hole, wait till hopper spawns, enter combat, cage him.

Caging rarely works.

Ok, I found out that it might work if you see red lines, and it certainly won't work if you see a crosshair.

Anyway, second quest. The first time I played this game, I dumped it at this time. Now I know it is doable, just really frustrating...

Tigranes

Arcane
Both the hopper cage and the hopper trap can be dragged to the hotbar. You don't have to have your inventory screen open, ever.

You get two traps. Observe where the hoppers go to eat, lay a trap, stealth and wait. One gets caught? Cage it. You don't even need to enter combat, though it's easier if you do. There's plenty of time.

Use nets. Stealth, get close, start combat, net a hopper. Then cage at your leisure.

All easier if you are a dex/agi/stealth dude.

You're trying to do it in a really really cumbersome and frustrating way. I don't blame you, because the first time I played it was also a pain in the arse.

Heretic

Cipher
SymbolicFrank, you are RE-TAR-DED.
Catching a hopper is something done in 5 seconds tops.

Do it like Parabalus tells you to.

You don't need anything else, just a cage.
Stand near a hole.
Start combat as soon as a hopper emerges.
Use the cage on him. (Yes, you have to see red lines, not a crosshair, just like with every other aimed ability)

It's done in 5 seconds.

You don't need stealth, you don't need traps.
Just you, a cage and the Start combat button.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
I cant find a picture of a downie retarded enough to react to the moron, holy shit.
You'd think he'd complain about the annoyance but no...........

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Imagine being so dumb that you have trouble catching cave hoppers, man.

It's like, man... that's far out, man. That is way out there.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Yes, I get it. None of you (except Tigranes) ever had any problem with it, I'm just retarded. Good for you.

It took me many tries, but I did succeed. And I had the same problems last two times. It was only after I found a youtube video that showed me how to to it that I succeeded.

Much of the people who aren't buying the expansion had the same problem.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
They used to be harder to catch, and no, it never would have occurred to me that someone could have that much trouble with it.

I mean, if it never occurred to you to engage turn-based combat mode to make things manageable, there are some SERIOUS holes in the catalog of RPGs you've played.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've never found hopper catching enjoyable. From memory, the release version didn't give you traps? But it's never actually any fun.

As someone mentioned, it's a tutorial for how to interact with combat, movement speeds, using items from hotbar / utility slots, and other things that you really need to know for the rest of the game. E.g. it sounds like at one point SymbolicFrank was initiating combat and spending the entire turn running up to the hopper without enough AP to actually capture, so an observant player will use this to figure out how AP/MP differences work and how to manage when/where they enter combat.

I imagine less people quit at that point than AOD first fight, though

Parabalus

Arcane
Yes, I get it. None of you (except Tigranes) ever had any problem with it, I'm just retarded. Good for you.

It took me many tries, but I did succeed. And I had the same problems last two times. It was only after I found a youtube video that showed me how to to it that I succeeded.

Much of the people who aren't buying the expansion had the same problem.

The quest is annoying. It's just there to prepare you mentally for the more tedious parts and a tutorial for inventory management, like Tigranes says.

Be sure to post your thoughts on Depot A when you get there.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the actual benefit of Power Management? Unless you're burning through your items battery fairly consisntently in fights, isn't it just a feat that saves you extra batteries?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What is the actual benefit of Power Management? Unless you're burning through your items battery fairly consisntently in fights, isn't it just a feat that saves you extra batteries?

I imagine it's more for people who are going to be using energy pistols or charged weapons more than anything.

EDIT: I haven't tried energy weapons yet.

Parabalus

Arcane

Increases shield capacity to over >2k, longer cloaking field, mandatory for special pistol users.

Also let's Coil Spiders laught at you even harder.

It doesn't really have any interaction with batteries, outside of letting you use bigger ones more efficiently.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blaine I'm stealing your spear build and changing it up a little bit.
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQoFBgcDAwYADwAPAAAADw8ADwoFBQUFAAAADwAACE8
Lowered Will down to 3 because I can metagame persuasion checks and IDRC about mercantile. Lowered intelligence to 6 because I don't think PM is worth it, and pumped strength a little early. I'm thinking of maybe taking Nimble to give even more movement points, and I think I might level agility up a little bit early too since strength is already at 10. We'll see how it goes.

Increases shield capacity to over >2k, longer cloaking field, mandatory for special pistol users.

Also let's Coil Spiders laught at you even harder.

It doesn't really have any interaction with batteries, outside of letting you use bigger ones more efficiently.
So for a non stealthy, non pistol user, it's pmuch just an energy field bonus, got it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished the expansion. I took me another 2-3 hours but I'm done.

Yeah, Psi users are not OP enough.
08400D6A56EDBA082ABE7F37BCBAA689E40EE606

Shadowlith activated. I had to run ...
A480DA760D1EB823B56D4C3133050AED9C11249B

... but at least I saved Todd.
48A6EA9430EA55E26C857DCAB2AA534AF5F407E4

74C7C0098274E94AED4F6D917D5A4F1C82EA968A

Tone and Marcus. Probably the best characters from the expansion.
A412FB3B6C69D4FCAC2E2B98F5F23DACCB67945A

Don't give the Acorn to Oldfield. Aran was offering me 12000 Charons for it.
621B1F1705280C5AA6EC0804BA93330625B29DF7

Fuck you Expedition! You almost killed my love for Underrail.
CE15FCFA617EF6960AF67DF04523296C171F11AC

I had a 3700+ critical with this Sniper rifle but I don't feel like going forward ... cause next is Deep Caverns and I'm pretty sure this build would one-shot Tchort.

This is the end for me. I don't regret buying this DLC but I'm really scared about the future of Underrail.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The thing is: the safety of the expedition went from excellent to worse even when I did most of the killing and I did not lose one single Aegis soldier to the natives.

Looks like a bug?

No to mention that there are places were the cameras see you through the walls.

Definitely a bug. Report them if you don't want such bugs to be in game.

However each time I start combat it's a complete shit show: sometimes Snipe works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes Aimed Shot works, sometimes it doesn't. You cannot count on the percentage displayed by the game: 70%+ hit chance are missed shots. For example do a test: reload the same savegame and start combat. Some times you will hit 3 criticals and other times you will have 3 misses in a row. No joke. RNG makes the difference between these opposites. It should not work like this and the RNG should be toned down considering that I have a weapon with low damage spread.

I can agree probably with other things you said, but that just simple and pure bullshit. And I don't want even try to explain why.

You don't even really need stealth (but it helps, so please use it). Go into combat as close as you can get to hoppers. Use your movement points to get close as you can. Throw net. If this succeeds, then end turn. Next turn, use the cage on the captured hopper. Voila. Easily done.

Alternatively, set up a hopper trap in front of one of their hidey holes. As soon as one steps in your trap, start combat. Use cage on hopper. Voila. Even easier.

You don't need any of that. Wait near crivices from which hoppers appearing. Start combat when it showed up. Use dog crate on it.

where can i finally find some night vision component

Just buy it throughout the game whenever you see one.

anyone paired evasive maneuvers with high evasion character, fancy footwork and blitz?

Except Blitz I did it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
However each time I start combat it's a complete shit show: sometimes Snipe works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes Aimed Shot works, sometimes it doesn't. You cannot count on the percentage displayed by the game: 70%+ hit chance are missed shots. For example do a test: reload the same savegame and start combat. Some times you will hit 3 criticals and other times you will have 3 misses in a row. No joke. RNG makes the difference between these opposites. It should not work like this and the RNG should be toned down considering that I have a weapon with low damage spread.
I can agree probably with other things you said, but that just simple and pure bullshit. And I don't want even try to explain why.

That's why I specified: do your own research.

I had 3 misses in a row (Snipe, Aimed Shot and regular attack) while on reload I had 3 critical hits from the exact same position. This should not happen.

I have no reason to lie about this and I know what was my experience.

Jezal_k23

When you're dealing with true RNG, anything can happen. I've seen gigantic amounts of bullshit in Underrail, because it doesn't do anything under the hood to make you "feel" like 70% is really what you perceive should be 70% chance to hit. Instead it's just plain and simple 70%, and anything can happen. On the other hand I've been really fucking lucky before, but we tend to remember the bullshit a lot more clearly.

I don't know if I expressed myself clearly enough, but basically lots of games don't offer randomness but rather something that "feels" better for the player, like if you missed then you'll hit next time no matter what, or things like that. There's lots of ways to manipulate things under the hood in order for the player to feel like the stats displayed on screen are accurate without calling out bullshit like missing with 95% chance to hit, or missing twice with 70% to hit and shit like that. Truth is these things CAN happen unless the game manipulates some stuff for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom