Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Troika

Which was the least flawed Troika rpg?

• Total voters

Falksi

Arcane
Bloodlines for me. I played both for the first time 2017, and Arcanum's just got too many old-school obstacles for me to get into, whereas Bloodlines was absolutely fine.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love all three, but I think that ToEE is the least flawed game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was gonna say TOEE, but remember the bugs. Arcanum was flawed (you had to MCA not to succeed in melee) but it was the most complete game. Early build of Vampire had that game breaking bug at the docks late game which they almost didn't patch in.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Was gonna say TOEE, but remember the bugs. Arcanum was flawed (you had to MCA not to succeed in melee) but it was the most complete game. Early build of Vampire had that game breaking bug at the docks late game which they almost didn't patch in.
I don't mean bugs. All three had serious bugs on release.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Vampire was more flawed than Arcanum because you could just shoot everything. Even with a poor skill in guns, I just wiped out the end boss with a handgun. TOEE was more flawed because it felt less complete than Arcanum - where the lore and writing made up for the unbalanced combat in my opinion.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
TOEE is the worst, but it's also the least flawed. It's nothing but a combat system, so there was less shit to screw up.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Ă–hm... KingComrade ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Troika Fan-Boy Greis Old Man; while all this Games are a Work of Art, they were all practically unplayable at Release. You didn't notice it for quite a long time with Arcanum, and the german Versions of TOEE and Bloodlines introduced even more Bugs... but thanks to Wesp Bloodlines works pretty well now, while Arcanum and ToEE still have issues even with mods when I played them last time. Can't vote this time.

Tigranes

Arcane
What a stupid question. Flaws on greatness are mere flaws; flawlessness without greatness might as well not exist.

Hence I voted the game with most greatness, then clicked on page 1, and lo, I saw it was Jason Liang.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Arcanum > combat isn't very good
Bloodlines > combat sucks

So, there's that.
I think you're being too kind with Arcanum. The combat is terrible, turn-based or not.

All of Troika's games are flawed gems but gems nonetheless. Arcanum is the most flawed one of them, yet I still consider it their magnum opus.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I estimate that the 59 people who haved voted for Arcanum thus far represent 20% of the 100 people that have actually played the game to finish.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Arcanum is an involuntary masterpiece. So unpolished yet so enjoyable in every unbalanced combination of character attributes, combined with isometric perfection, is a dream game.

ToEE is what Baldur's Gate should have been, but the corseting of D&D rules shows its ugly face, like paladins falling just by talking to bad guys, or being unable to steal a thing because the game rules prevent this.

Beastro

Arcane
Bloodlines for me. I played both for the first time 2017 and, I'm sorry I really tried, but Arcanum's just got too many old-school obstacles for me to get into, whereas Bloodlines was absolutely fine.

Now it's a proper Falksi post~

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
TOEE is the worst, but it's also the least flawed. It's nothing but a combat system, so there was less shit to screw up.
ToEE without the co8 patches(and now Temple+) is extremely unfinished. It might be the most unfinished out of any of the three.
IIRC, the level with Zuggtmoy wasn't even completed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Arcanum > combat isn't very good
Bloodlines > combat sucks

So, there's that.
I think you're being too kind with Arcanum. The combat is terrible, turn-based or not.

People severely overstate the shittiness of Arcanum's combat. It isn't great, but it's inoffensive. In real time, it's over very quickly and wastes none of your time. Even in turn based it's pretty quick because most enemies aren't bloated, except for those fucking stone and magma golems. And even those are quicker to take down than many enemies in other RPGs with bad combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom