Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

PrettyDeadman

Is hitscan monks really a good enemy design.
Cybermonks in Ion Fury at least don't get hitscan weapons.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I really hope the hitscanning can be modded out. Arcane Dimensions afaik converted the hitscanners in Quake to projectiles and it was way better for it.

PrettyDeadman

I really hope the hitscanning can be modded out. Arcane Dimensions afaik converted the hitscanners in Quake to projectiles and it was way better for it.
Unfortunately I haven't seen no hitscan mod for Blood, but I am sure there must be one.

Boleskine

Arcane
Aside from Eurogamer, none of the prominent reviews emphasize or give credit to the game for featuring a strong female protagonist in a traditionally male-dominated genre, fighting against a male villain and the patriarchy as a whole.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So I bought this since I'm a Build pig and played for an hour or so and I must say I enjoy it a lot more than the EAccess version, for whatever reason. This should also help funding Wrath, which I'm even more keen on playing.

Fanatical has a 12% off coupon.

Curratum

They need to pay the devs first, the entire dev team was not on 3DR's payroll, they're getting a cut of the sales but they weren't getting paid while the game was in production.

mwnn85

Savant
The cheapest price according to GGDEALS seems to be Green Man Gaming @ £17.15 (coupon: AUGUST12)
Followed by Fanatical @ £17.45 (coupon: FANATICAL10)
3D realms have a store as well
Although if you really want to save the precious pennies get a Russian to buy it from GOG for £6.
:keepmyjewgold:

According to this post you can already treat Ion Fury like any other EDuke32 game i.e:
> Compile the latest eduke32 (svn 8022) or download it
> Stick fury.grp, fury.def and fury.grpinfo into the same directory as eduke32 and mapper
> ./eduke32
https://imgur.com/a/x6ZQeXN

Didn't realize they'd made the changes already on the eduke32 source code.
I have to use Polymost as the Polymer renderer tanks my performance on my old Phenom II hardware - a known issue.

Last edited:
The cheapest price according to GGDEALS seems to be Green Man Gaming @ £17.15 (coupon: AUGUST12)
Followed by Fanatical @ £17.45 (coupon: FANATICAL10)
3D realms have a store as well
Although if you really want to save the precious pennies get a Russian to buy it from GOG for £6.
Pretty fucking tempted. Would've made more sense to buy it when the regular price was $20 (Or that $15 low from GMG) but for these kinda things I've been waiting for them to actually get finished before plonking my money down. Amid Evil's almost completely failed to tickle my fancy but Ion Maiden looks way more up my alley.

mwnn85

Savant
Played through the first level and through most of the second (waterworks?) on the third difficult setting - ultra viscera.
It's tricky in parts - the AI can definitely perform ambushes and does try to preserve itself (mainly the shotgun men)

I think the biggest problem is the severe limit on ammunition carrying capacity ~48 shotgun shells and ~95 bullets for the revolver simply isn't enough of an reserve ammo pool.
There's a decent amount of bullets scattered all over but I shouldn't have to be constantly watching the ammo counter.

The enemies so far aren't too troublesome if you play cautiously - the shotgun generally kills in one or two hits.
Revolver is usually 1-2 with a headshot, 4-5 from distance.
The secondary pistol attack is great for killing the crabs or flyers - bind your RMB to that instead of the medkit.
Getting hit by the red suit enemies or the shogun man's grenade launcher causes big problems as it wipes out your armor quickly.
Had to spend a lot of the first level eating all the food off the ground like Rufus the hobo - can you imagine Duke eating a burger off the floor?
Liking it overall - it's like a better Shadow Warrior.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Aside from Eurogamer, none of the prominent reviews emphasize or give credit to the game for featuring a strong female protagonist in a traditionally male-dominated genre, fighting against a male villain and the patriarchy as a whole.

Not woke enough

50830226-1550410322.png

Curratum

How's the hitscan in this thing, like Doom/Duke or terrible like Blood and a million other mediocre 90s shooters?

For the record, it's not hitscan, almost all enemy attacks can be dodged if you're quick and move in the right direction.

Calling the best Build engine game "terrible", though...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Calling the best Build engine game "terrible", though...

I played through the first episode and the first map of the second and didn't like it; too much "large groups of enemies start hitscanning you as soon as they spot you," made all the worse by the difficulty bug.

mwnn85

Savant
It seems fair enough even on ultra viscera.
The yellow enemies don't land every shot nor do the shotgun ones.
The red are generally easy to dodge apart from in tight spaces.
Sometimes even ducking is enough to stop them firing.
The biggest killer is a grenade from the shotgun man - loves to catch you out with those.

It's certainly not as hair pulling as the super accurate Tommy gun armed Monks from Blood - but even those can be dealt with. The starburst Flare Gun alt is really handy.
Got a feeling that the (early access) Large Robot boss battle might still be a pain though.
Never did like boss battles in FPS games - just giant bullet sponges.

and 8 others

Savant
Do you guys want to see a review even more aggravating than the RPS one?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/15/ion-fury-review-nuking-the-duke-10573942/

When first person shooters first came into existence, they were almost all extremely fast-paced games with little to no tactical nuance. Duke Nukem 3D added much larger and more interactive maps but they were still basically shooting galleries, with no real puzzles or other gameplay elements. Things started to change when consoles became powerful enough to run them, with 1997’s GoldenEye 007 introducing the idea of slower-paced, more realistic gameplay – a year before Half-Life changed things forever on PC.

It’s easy to argue that Ion Fury would have been more interesting if it tried to evolve the genre, as it was then, forward in some way; perhaps take the approach of what if graphics technology had plateaued but game design had still evolved along a path similar to now. Most indie retro games already do that to at least some degree, but Ion Fury is adamant that everything has to be exactly how it was in 1996.

If that’s its goal though it’s achieved it almost flawlessly. We doubt even 90s gamers will come away thinking that things used to be better back in their day but it is fascinating to see how much has, and hasn’t, changed and how what was once the state-of-the-art in video games is now nothing but a retro novelty.

In Short: For better and worse, a near perfect replication of mid-90s first person shooters, that makes you wistful for the old days… and secretly glad things have moved on in the meantime.

That's ionfuryating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom