Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm just also making the point exclusives make consumers into bitches, Romero style.
Romero talks big, but we all know that in fact and in the bedroom he's the real bitch.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Steam = infrastructure
Epic = simple store

Its simple as that. Devs can sell keys on their own site,take all the moneys,use Steam infrastructure and Valve makes zero. Why is Valves cut for a purchase made on Steam even an issue here?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another store entering...: https://venturebeat.com/2019/08/16/my-games-will-launch-global-game-store-in-q4/

With the standard 70/30 revenue split, huh. The Russian company behind Armored Warfare and Owlcat Games.

My.Games will launch global game store in Q4

mygames.jpg

My.Games is a Russian game publisher that is going global. And so the company announced today that its My.Games Store will debut in the fourth quarter.

Developers and publishers will be able to distribute free-to-play and premium games through the My.Games Store while gamers will benefit from a wide range of PC titles and unique gaming services.

“I’m pleased to announce the launch of My.Games Store, our global gaming platform,” said My.Games CEO Vasiliy Maguryan, in a statement. “Although our background is delivering free-to-play and premium titles to an Eastern European audience, the My.Games Store is the next step in bringing our expertise to a global market. We believe we can offer a wealth of support and knowledge to studios and publishers looking to reach both a Russian and a global audience.”

My.Games Store will build on the success of My.Games’ Russian-speaking platform, Games.Mail.Ru, which currently has 13 million monthly active users. At launch, players will gain access to popular My.Games titles like Warface and Conqueror’s Blade, as well as a whole library of games including third-party titles. Future developers and publishers will be offered a 70/30 revenue split to distribute titles through the My.Games Store.

The platform will also feature integration with two unique gaming services. Lootdog allows gamers to trade in-game items for real money securely, while Donation Alerts is a tool that empowers streamers to monetize their content.

“Our Games.Mail.ru platform has been tailor-made for the Russian-speaking audience. Over the years, we’ve created unique technology, monetization systems, and the expertise needed to succeed in this market. We are now ready for the next step — taking the platform international,” said Rodion Kotelnikov, head of My.Games Store, in a statement. “For our international partners, this will open the door to our platform’s multi-million audience, while the players will gain access to a broader range of games.”

My.Games Store is currently in beta testing, with plans for a full-scale launch by the end of this year.

My.Games launched in May 2019 combining the gaming assets of Mail.ru Group and My.com. Revenues rose in Q2 by 33.7% owing to the strong performance of existing titles including the Warface franchise, Conqueror’s Blade and mobile title Hustle Castle. In July, My.Games announced a new strategy mobile game, American Dad! Apocalypse Soon. Developed in partnership with FOX Next, the game is set to release on iOS and Android devices this fall.

PrettyDeadman

Another store entering...: https://venturebeat.com/2019/08/16/my-games-will-launch-global-game-store-in-q4/

With the standard 70/30 revenue split, huh. The Russian company behind Armored Warfare and Owlcat Games.

My.Games will launch global game store in Q4

mygames.jpg

My.Games is a Russian game publisher that is going global. And so the company announced today that its My.Games Store will debut in the fourth quarter.

Developers and publishers will be able to distribute free-to-play and premium games through the My.Games Store while gamers will benefit from a wide range of PC titles and unique gaming services.

“I’m pleased to announce the launch of My.Games Store, our global gaming platform,” said My.Games CEO Vasiliy Maguryan, in a statement. “Although our background is delivering free-to-play and premium titles to an Eastern European audience, the My.Games Store is the next step in bringing our expertise to a global market. We believe we can offer a wealth of support and knowledge to studios and publishers looking to reach both a Russian and a global audience.”

My.Games Store will build on the success of My.Games’ Russian-speaking platform, Games.Mail.Ru, which currently has 13 million monthly active users. At launch, players will gain access to popular My.Games titles like Warface and Conqueror’s Blade, as well as a whole library of games including third-party titles. Future developers and publishers will be offered a 70/30 revenue split to distribute titles through the My.Games Store.

The platform will also feature integration with two unique gaming services. Lootdog allows gamers to trade in-game items for real money securely, while Donation Alerts is a tool that empowers streamers to monetize their content.

“Our Games.Mail.ru platform has been tailor-made for the Russian-speaking audience. Over the years, we’ve created unique technology, monetization systems, and the expertise needed to succeed in this market. We are now ready for the next step — taking the platform international,” said Rodion Kotelnikov, head of My.Games Store, in a statement. “For our international partners, this will open the door to our platform’s multi-million audience, while the players will gain access to a broader range of games.”

My.Games Store is currently in beta testing, with plans for a full-scale launch by the end of this year.

My.Games launched in May 2019 combining the gaming assets of Mail.ru Group and My.com. Revenues rose in Q2 by 33.7% owing to the strong performance of existing titles including the Warface franchise, Conqueror’s Blade and mobile title Hustle Castle. In July, My.Games announced a new strategy mobile game, American Dad! Apocalypse Soon. Developed in partnership with FOX Next, the game is set to release on iOS and Android devices this fall.
Looks like steam is going to get banned in russia.
It will cost me ~$10,000

Also, who is willing to bet this store will have more features on it's launch than Epic Game store (at the moment of My.Games Store launch)?

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Denuvo of Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two souls are bypased. You just intstall demo version from Epic Store, copy files in the folder from full version of the game and modify 1 file. More info about the method and necessary file are here.

Silentstorm

Learned
My.Games, aren't they people who make free-to-play games?

Why are they doing their own store all out of a sudden, as far as i know, they don't have the brand recognization of Epic, Valve and CD Projekt behind them, the games they are known for are ones you don't pay for and aren't even at the top of MMO's or MMORPG's, they aren't even at the top of mobile gaming even if i recall seeing a lot of Hustle Castle ads the last time i tried to play a mobile game.

Heck, at least Discord was a widely used program/service before it got a store, Humble Bundle has the charity thing going for it and Itch started as an indie game place where they have constant competitions and even put homebrew games in there, all without DRM, every store has their own gimmick or reason to think that people would come to them.

My.Games has...the renown for making lots of F2P games that aren't even the most popular free games around?

PrettyDeadman

Why are they doing their own store all out of a sudden, as far as i know, they don't have the brand recognization of Epic, Valve and CD Projekt behind them, the games they are known for are ones you don't pay for and aren't even at the top of MMO's or MMORPG's, they aren't even at the top of mobile gaming even if i recall seeing a lot of Hustle Castle ads the last time i tried to play a mobile game.

Heck, at least Discord was a widely used program/service before it got a store, Humble Bundle has the charity thing going for it and Itch started as an indie game place where they have constant competitions and even put homebrew games in there, all without DRM, every store has their own gimmick or reason to think that people would come to them.

My.Games has...the renown for making lots of F2P games that aren't even the most popular free games around?
Mail Group is russia's Google. The largest IT company who owns search engines, news engine, mail engine and etc (including online games). Their largest russian competitior is yandex and at the moment there are specific anti-yandex laws (if you are and IT company and have more than 20% shares owned by foreigned companies in Russian that you will have to face severe penalties) being implemented in Russia. So they are in power to make laws which specifically target their competitors.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Mail Group is russia's Google. The largest IT company who owns search engines, news engine, mail engine and etc (including online games). Their largest russian competitior is yandex and at the moment there are specific anti-yandex laws (if you are and IT company and have more than 20% shares owned by foreigned companies in Russian that you will have to face severe penalties) being implemented in Russia. So they are in power to make laws which specifically target their competitors.
Yandex is Russia's google.
My.Games are just a bunch of scammers who are selling shitty p2w mmos and distributing malware hidden in web installers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://medium.com/@info_68117/why-...the-epic-store-developer-of-darq-7ee834ed0ac7

Why I turned down exclusivity deal from the Epic Store (developer of “DARQ”)

I had no intention of turning this into a news-worthy story, but seeing new articles coming out every day quoting what I said on reddit, it seems that the news is very much out there. I thought I’d give you a bit more insight into what actually happened so my words aren’t quoted out of context.

A bit of background
I’m an indie developer, just launched my first title “DARQ.” I worked on it for over 3.5 years, mostly solo, with occasional help of a few talented contractors. It was in top 50 most wishlisted games on Steam before it launched.

1*xMi-hFi_Espt3TICl4yV2g.jpeg

What happened
On July 27th (Saturday) I uploaded a new trailer anouncing Steam launch date. On July 30th (Tuesday) I was contacted by the Epic Store, proposing that I enter into an exclusivity agreement with them instead of releasing DARQ on Steam. They made it clear that releasing DARQ non-exclusively is not an option. I rejected their offer before we had a chance to talk about money.

[I will share a screenshot of this communication below- I hope the Epic Store won’t mind, since the exchange was polite and professional, and I was not asked to keep it confidential]

Why I rejected their offer
Before I get into this, I would like to emphasize that I’m not speaking on behalf of other developers. Every indie studio has a unique story and has to deal with unique set of obstacles. The following reasons are mine and mine only. Rejecting such offer happened to be right for my game, but might not be right for other games / studios, as their goals and long-term plans might differ from mine.
  • I like money, and getting some upfront payment on top of guaranteed revenue sounds great. But although I’m a first time developer, I’m very serious about working in this industry for a very long time. I had just announced DARQ release date on Steam - pulling the game off Steam a few days after Steam release date announcement would forever ruin the credibility of my studio. I woud like for my customers to have confidence that my word means something, especially when making announcement as crucial as release date / platform. Turning down the Epic exclusivity offer might have been a foolish decision in the short term, considering the amount of money that might have been involved. When thinking long term, however, this was an easy & obvious decision to make (in my case).
  • DARQ was listed on Steam since late 2018. A lot of Steam users added DARQ to their wishlist and patiently waited for its release date for almost a year. Pulling the game off Steam, especially so close to the release date, would surely make a lot of DARQ fans unhappy. Apart from the moral issues involved, would it be worth it if given a large sum of money? Consider Amazon’s history — the company remained unproffitable for many years by ALWAYS putting their customers first. They had made many decisions in the past that were extremely pro-customer, even if it meant leaving money on the table (for which they got a lot of criticism from Wall Street). Now, Amazon is one of the biggest companies in the world, and it’s because customers know Amazon will always be on their side. Their refund policy has always been the industry standard, and their delivery promise was always fulfilled to the best of their ability. Will I make less money on Steam than I would have by accepting the financial guarantee from the Epic Store? Probably. But it’s a fair price to pay for establishing an ongoing trust between my studio and its customers. Unfold Games (my studio) is here to stay, and DARQ is just the beginning.
  • It was important to me to give players what they wanted: options. A lot of people requested that DARQ is made available on GOG. I was happy to work with GOG to bring the game to their platform. I wish the Epic Store would allow indie games to be sold there non-exclusively, as they do with larger, still unreleased games (Cyberpunk 2077), so players can enjoy what they want: a choice.
Ooblets
Coincidentally, the day after I rejected their offer (July 31st), Ooblets’ developers announced that they accepted the exclusivity deal from the Epic Store, which caused quite a lot of controversy. At the time, I decided not to participate in the controversy and keep my stance on the Epic Exclusivity deals to myself. However, I noticed that more and more people started asking me if I was about to do the same. Ultimately, I decided to mention that I had rejected the Epic exclusivity deal, so the community can rest assured DARQ is still coming to Steam and GOG. I was not going to turn it into a news story and did not contact press to attract attention to this matter.

Earlier Today
Now that numerous media outlets made my Epic’s deal rejection veeery public, I found myself tagged in a tweet addressed directly to Tim Sweeney:

1*-s7nk5VDb-vUiwQvxXRjQQ.jpeg

Needless to say, I never intended to become the face of the Epic Store exclusivity controversy. But since I’m tagged directly in a response to Tim Sweeney’s tweet, I felt I should at least make my stance clear.

I’m seriously a little scared to share the following screenshot (given that Tim Sweeny has infinite monetary power and connections in the industry to completely destroy me and my game — which I trust he won’t be compelled to do, I’m just a first-time indie developer after all), but here’s my conversation with the Epic Store representative. It was nice, polite, respectful, professional, but it also contradicts what Tim Sweeney seems to be advocating for:

1*YW8HKZCAxiFigsVHsVTu3A.jpeg

I wish there wasn’t a double standard and indie developers were given an equal oportunity to sell their games across multiple store fronts, so the players can enjoy what they seem to want the most: a choice.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ohhhh Tim,you are such a bad liar lol,the worst part is that you are oblivious to this and try to lie your shitty ass out of everything. Fuck,if i meet you in real life and you say "Good day mate" i will fucking stop and check if it is night.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Reading some of the reviews on steam, makes it clear how much people dislike epic. This was an amazing business tactic from the developer, as he's getting a lot of sales from him declining the Epic exclusivity deal.

"I haven't heard of this game until now.
Instabought because the dev refused Epic exclusivity deal.
You deserve my money."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A promise seems to mean nothing these days.
But Unfold Games kept their promise of releasing this game on Steam by saying no at the exclusivity deal of Epic.

Without this decision, i think i wouldn't have even heard of Darq (Not really my type of games).

I will not only buy this game, i will play it.
Because Unfold Games doesn't just deserve some money from me, they deserve all the respect that i can have for their work.

Thanks again Unfold Games for not backstabbing your players.

If you read this review and think like me, please, buy Darq, they deserve it."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bought this game entirely because of the Devs commitment to honoring the promises made to players, I hope your decision to stand by your word proves to be more profitable for you and I look forward to hearing about your continued success.

Please consider supporting this Dev as this is the kind of people we need to help so we have better games with better choices."

Last edited by a moderator:

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
What a bunch of sheeple.

People support what they believe in. If DARQ gets boosted sales on steam because of this, it would show other developers the value of keeping a good relationship to your community/fanbase. I'll buy the game when I get home from work. It's my money, I find this to be a good cause to support, and the game actually looks neat.

PrettyDeadman

What a bunch of sheeple.

People support what they believe in. If DARQ gets boosted sales on steam because of this, it would show other developers the value of keeping a good relationship to your community/fanbase. I'll buy the game when I get home from work. It's my money, I find this to be a good cause to support, and the game actually looks neat.
Sheeple support what they are told to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jezal_k23

Yeah, the developer behind DARQ is pretty clever. He knew exactly how to work the crowd so everyone would rush to buy his game, strategically preferring to do that instead of getting money from an Epic deal. Looks like it'll pay off for him.

PrettyDeadman

Yeah, the developer behind DARQ is pretty clever. He knew exactly how to work the crowd so everyone would rush to buy his game, strategically preferring to do that instead of getting money from an Epic deal. Looks like it'll pay off for him.
DARQ dev is literally playing 5d chess while Tim Sweaney is playing checkers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom