Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Candide

Educated
Huh I just got ambushed by 4 rogue plasma sentries next to Blaine's shop and I had no EMP grenades. Thank heavens for 1200+ capacity shields

Candide

Educated
nFaSDFD.jpg

How does this work? The log says Carnifex resisted almost all my damage yet his health meter went down and so did he.

Candide

Educated
nFaSDFD.jpg

How does this work? The log says Carnifex resisted almost all my damage yet his health meter went down and so did he.

He has 50% energy resistance !?

Hm I guess? Not bad for a guy running around in his underpants. My combat stats say my laser pistol has 30-41 damage with 410% crit bonus so it doesn't quite check out (23+22 > 41) but there might be other bonuses.

Blackmill

Scholar
does anyone sell 140 quality ars, I got lucky with a 147 huszar mid game, now I want a hornet

Yes, you can at least get 167Q (I think I even got 173Q) AR frames from Hana. Also, Fraser has very good quality frames. You just need mercantile to unlock their best gear.

Parabalus

Arcane
Black Angel
So I looked at some saves, the torch switches between 60-120 and 40-80 on both 18 WILL and 3 WILL chars. Anyone know the trigger?

Is the first Pirate Raid supposed to be tough? I convinced the captain to let me do it alone, and when the Black Eels come it seems like it's going to be a really tough fight.

I had extreme trouble as a swordsman even with the pirates, had to spam grenades. If you're ranged it's laughably easy. They have snipers and you can't use your shield on a jet, if you disembark you get netted.

It does 60-120 if you're Juiced up, that's all there is to it.

Blackmill

Scholar
So, min-maxing lockpick and hacking has been pretty much figured out. What about stealth? Obviously, it depends on what you're trying to do.

1. How much stealth do you need to not be instantly detected by any (non true-sight) enemy? Greater Coil Spiders will instantly detect you at 115 stealth or less. I assume a few enemies have even higher detection but not by much.

2. What about to sneak within melee distance of any enemy? I'm guessing about 150 is sufficient for most enemies. My experience with the Greater Coil Spiders was, once I passed the instant detection threshold, I could sneak through their lairs without too much trouble. I can't remember if I had Interloper or not.

3. To place and arm a trap 5-7 tiles away from any enemy? I'd guess 150-170 is sufficient. Less with Trap Expert.

4. To fully survey an area? That is, to see almost every tile in the map? Probably at least 200 since you may need to walk past guards in a tight hallway.

5. To reach any tile that isn't guarded by true-sight enemies? I'm guessing at least 300 is needed if this is even possible.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A few more random questions:

1) How do you activate the night vision goggles? I load and and equip them, yet in the item description it says that it needs to be activated too. I don't see a button and right-clicking doesn't work either.

2) When I take the train to Rail Crossing, there is nothing there on the adjacent Eastern maps. Am I not looking in the right place?

3) The elevator in one of the southern-most caves that has no power: I suppose something else needs to happen first before it becomes usable? Tried loading the elevator button without success and there is nothing else on the map where you can supply power to the elevator.

4) Is there any defense against high level psyonics other than taking those enemies out first? Does a high WIL help or are there specific psyonics skills for protection?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1) How do you activate the night vision goggles? I load and and equip them, yet in the item description it says that it needs to be activated too. I don't see a button and right-clicking doesn't work either.
1) Click and drag the NVG from your head to your hotbar. Another little tip, shift and control expand the hotbar.

2) I don't fully understand your question. When you take the train to Rail Crossing, you're supposed to go south one zone, and THEN go left one.

3) Don't worry about the elevator. You'll see what it's about much later in the game. :smug:

4) Not really. High resolve helps against TC, and armor/energy shields work against Metathermics and one or two Psychokinesis attacks, but you pretty much have to blow them up first.

Tigranes

Arcane
Will increases resolve which helps especially against psi debuffs (hence you'll often see enemy psionics resist your telekinetic punch, for example) but it's hard to get Resolve high enough to reliably shrug everything off. Psi is overpowered for you and them. Luckily for bandits etc. psionics tend to be the most squishy.

Tigranes

Arcane
So, min-maxing lockpick and hacking has been pretty much figured out. What about stealth? Obviously, it depends on what you're trying to do.

1. How much stealth do you need to not be instantly detected by any (non true-sight) enemy? Greater Coil Spiders will instantly detect you at 115 stealth or less. I assume a few enemies have even higher detection but not by much.

2. What about to sneak within melee distance of any enemy? I'm guessing about 150 is sufficient for most enemies. My experience with the Greater Coil Spiders was, once I passed the instant detection threshold, I could sneak through their lairs without too much trouble. I can't remember if I had Interloper or not.

3. To place and arm a trap 5-7 tiles away from any enemy? I'd guess 150-170 is sufficient. Less with Trap Expert.

4. To fully survey an area? That is, to see almost every tile in the map? Probably at least 200 since you may need to walk past guards in a tight hallway.

5. To reach any tile that isn't guarded by true-sight enemies? I'm guessing at least 300 is needed if this is even possible.

Non-precise general feeling from my various characters is that at 150 you're usually able to do everything reasonable - e.g. sneak by many areas, even run right past things like crabs jumping out of the ground, navigate coil spiders.

Traps, I've always found ~10 tiles is just fine for setting up combat, so not sure.

Parabalus

Arcane
Will increases resolve which helps especially against psi debuffs (hence you'll often see enemy psionics resist your telekinetic punch, for example) but it's hard to get Resolve high enough to reliably shrug everything off. Psi is overpowered for you and them. Luckily for bandits etc. psionics tend to be the most squishy.

TK punch is resisted by fortitude, not resolve.

Is there any defense against high level psyonics other than taking those enemies out first? Does a high WIL help or are there specific psyonics skills for protection?

You'll never even semi-reliably resist any disable, even with 18 WILL, wizards are gods.

Wunderbar

Arcane
4) Is there any defense against high level psyonics other than taking those enemies out first? Does a high WIL help or are there specific psyonics skills for protection?
killing them on the first turn is the only way other than avoiding (there aren't many mandatory fights with psi enemies, and most of them are late into the game).

Wunderbar

Arcane
Speaking of the character builder, I believe it suffers from a slight oversight and fails to account for the 1 additional base ability point you receive at level 28... unless you don't receive one, that is, although I don't see why you wouldn't.
You don't get one at 28 because of the feats that give you 2 points in the ability of your choice.
Styg be like

What kind of new additions i could add to the expansion now that the level cap is higher? Hmm, lemme think... Veteran feats! But what kind of feats? Ah, fuck it, let it be just something simple like "+ to main attribute". Hm, but the game is already giving attribute points on level-ups. Hmm. I think i know what to do...

inception trailer sound

You don't get an attribute point at level 28

What else should i add... maybe feat upgrades? Yes, and i'll call it "specializations". However, feats are already good. fuck, what should i do? Ooh, i've got an idea, what about nerfing them first?!

inception trailer sound

Quick tinkering - Cooldown changed to 5 turns (up from 2), setting traps while in combat will now cost 25 action points

Damianus_NT

Novice
Parabalus, Candide If you need a Black Sea map for the wiki, feel free to use mine.
Here, I've made an updated version. It should include every location (visible on the map). Plus, I have marked locations with hostile natives and pirates by "N" and "P" respectively.
sA2eXac.png
And below, an empty version, without any markers, just in case:
ECsqlCV.png
I hope I did not miss anything.

BTW. I'll ask again. Is there anything left to do after ending the expedition's main questline? I got the torch, and befriended a certain guy. But the monolyths are still a mystery to me. Every hostile pirate and native still lives BTW. With the exception of some shamans.

Last edited:
What else should i add... maybe feat upgrades? Yes, and i'll call it "specializations". However, feats are already good. fuck, what should i do? Ooh, i've got an idea, what about nerfing them first?!

inception trailer sound

Quick tinkering - Cooldown changed to 5 turns (up from 2), setting traps while in combat will now cost 25 action points
Some of the specs are great though. You take commando spec and now you can burst three times in a round with a chimera/huszar as long as you use adrenaline and kill something. Before Expedition only marauder/hornet could do that. I'm extremely happy that all four assault rifles are usable now (I mean marauder/huszar still kinda suck but whatever). That alone is enough to make specs totally worthwhile for me.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Hacking bypass killing rathound (with key in corpse). But this way you miss key for final room.

Blackmill

Scholar

inception trailer sound

Some of the specs are great though. You take commando spec and now you can burst three times in a round with a chimera/huszar as long as you use adrenaline and kill something. Before Expedition only marauder/hornet could do that. I'm extremely happy that all four assault rifles are usable now (I mean marauder/huszar still kinda suck but whatever). That alone is enough to make specs totally worthwhile for me.

Better yet, you can burst three times every turn without using adrenaline, if you craft a 7.6mm hornet with a rapid reloader. Well, provided the first burst kills a target. Also, with a Bullet Strap Belt, you'll still have the AP to reload at the end of your turn.

Anyways, there's a lot of really powerful specs. Concentrated Fire will more than double the damage of a 7/9 shot burst, if all rounds hit and the feat is fully specc'd. Get ready for 600 damage non-crits at the end of a burst. Flurry spec nearly doubles the number of flurries you can attempt in a turn (7 vs 4 w/ 70 AP or 5 vs 3 w/ 50 AP once you've got max stacks). Etc.

Candide

Educated
Parabalus, Candide If you need a Black Sea map for the wiki, feel free to use mine.
Here, I've made an updated version. It should include every location (visible on the map). Plus, I have marked locations with hostile natives and pirates by "N" and "P" respectively.
sA2eXac.png
And below, an empty version, without any markers, just in case:
ECsqlCV.png
I hope I did not miss anything.

BTW. I'll ask again. Is there anything left to do after ending the expedition's main questline? I got the torch, and befriended a certain guy. But the monolyths are still a mystery to me. Every hostile pirate and native still lives BTW. With the exception of some shamans.
Good job! I've added the maps to the wiki, thank you.

Wunderbar

Arcane
After visiting Joint security headquarters and returning back to Oldfield, for some reason I have a completed "go to abyssal station" quest in my journal. Is it a bug? How can I go to Abyssal station?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

inception trailer sound

Better yet, you can burst three times every turn without using adrenaline, if you craft a 7.6mm hornet with a rapid reloader. Well, provided the first burst kills a target. Also, with a Bullet Strap Belt, you'll still have the AP to reload at the end of your turn.

Anyways, there's a lot of really powerful specs. Concentrated Fire will more than double the damage of a 7/9 shot burst, if all rounds hit and the feat is fully specc'd. Get ready for 600 damage non-crits at the end of a burst. Flurry spec nearly doubles the number of flurries you can attempt in a turn (7 vs 4 w/ 70 AP or 5 vs 3 w/ 50 AP once you've got max stacks). Etc.

Spoiler alert.
AR builds are probably the most powerful builds after Psi builds.
Burst = Rapidly fires five bullets with reduced precision. Full-auto (lvl6) adds 2 more rounds to a Burst. Just think about it: 7 bullets for the cost of 3.
Chimera 9mm + Rapid Reloader = 13 AP per shot
Adrenaline + Temporal Contraction = 92 AP for first 3 rounds
Suppressive Fire (lvl1) + Full-Auto (lvl6) + Concentrated Fire(lvl10) + Commando (lvl14) = profit
The build is basically done at lvl 14. You are basically unstoppable (Tchort included). Everything else is just topping.
The only downside is that you have to carry a shit ton of ammo.

Pistol/SMG builds can be as powerful as AR builds because they profit from AP reduction at high DEX. Also pistols have their own version of Burst (3 bullets instead of 5).
Theoretically Snipers should be the superior choice and they are doing more damage per shot but that means that Snipers are basically wasting more damage with fewer shots.
Unfortunately these builds feel like shit because Underrail is throwing hordes of enemies at you and that means mobility and more attacks are more important than apex damage per shot.

The real question is: Are shotguns more efficient than ARs or not?

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
After visiting Joint security headquarters and returning back to Oldfield, for some reason I have a completed "go to abyssal station" quest in my journal. Is it a bug? How can I go to Abyssal station?

Looks like a bug. Page Dr. Styg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom