Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

After visiting Joint security headquarters and returning back to Oldfield, for some reason I have a completed "go to abyssal station" quest in my journal. Is it a bug? How can I go to Abyssal station?
I got that too. It doesn't break the game or anything though. Just go check out the other places listed in the HQ computer like you would anyway.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The real question is: Are shotguns more efficient than ARs or not?

Don't think they are, also you can easily eliminate 3 enemies in 1 burst with it.

But what I do know - Sixth Shell is second most powerful feat after Concentrated Fire, just count crazy damage increase from it.
Or maybe the first actually.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Don't think they are, also you can easily eliminate 3 enemies in 1 burst with it.

But what I do know - Sixth Shell is second most powerful feat after Concentrated Fire, just count crazy damage increase from it.
Or maybe the first actually.

The difference is that they have to be somehow aligned for AR while for shotgun they just have to be inside the damage cone.

Also shotguns should require less ammo. I'm really curious about this.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There's a guy on the official forums who finished UR at lvl 8 on DOMINATING with ARs.

Better nerf quick tinkering again.

lvl6.

Edit: That thread made me depressed because theoretically it means that you can finish the game at lvl4-5 where the main difference is that each fight will be a slog (use traps everywhere, use gas grenades + doors and so on).

Then it shows that there is something wrong with the skill systems because AR lvl 6 can finish the game while the rest of the builds are basically insignificant by comparison.

The AR build is done at lvl 14 with Commando which means that the next 16 levels are pretty much pointless unless you invest in crafting.

You are joking but one possible solution is to increase Traps requirements for traps.

Last edited:

Blackmill

Scholar

I also think not, but to save on ammo and repair kits, shotguns are a nice backup weapon to have for certain fights. A vindicator or vagabond (I forgot which) can kill most enemies with one shell. But you do whiff sometimes because you're accuracy is ~80% and the damage spread is rather large. I don't think shotgun burst fire is all that useful except when you have 3-4 enemies bunched up.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BTW. I'll ask again. Is there anything left to do after ending the expedition's main questline? I got the torch, and befriended a certain guy. But the monolyths are still a mystery to me. Every hostile pirate and native still lives BTW. With the exception of some shamans.
I'm pretty sure you're done quest line wise. You can go on a rampage and kill all the Natives + their chiefs. You get oddities from all of them. Fetid Marsh + Quarry are also explorable. Other than that, I haven't found anything.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
What else should i add... maybe feat upgrades? Yes, and i'll call it "specializations". However, feats are already good. fuck, what should i do? Ooh, i've got an idea, what about nerfing them first?!

inception trailer sound

Quick tinkering - Cooldown changed to 5 turns (up from 2), setting traps while in combat will now cost 25 action points
Some of the specs are great though. You take commando spec and now you can burst three times in a round with a chimera/huszar as long as you use adrenaline and kill something. Before Expedition only marauder/hornet could do that. I'm extremely happy that all four assault rifles are usable now (I mean marauder/huszar still kinda suck but whatever). That alone is enough to make specs totally worthwhile for me.

Better yet, you can burst three times every turn without using adrenaline, if you craft a 7.6mm hornet with a rapid reloader. Well, provided the first burst kills a target. Also, with a Bullet Strap Belt, you'll still have the AP to reload at the end of your turn.

Anyways, there's a lot of really powerful specs. Concentrated Fire will more than double the damage of a 7/9 shot burst, if all rounds hit and the feat is fully specc'd. Get ready for 600 damage non-crits at the end of a burst. Flurry spec nearly doubles the number of flurries you can attempt in a turn (7 vs 4 w/ 70 AP or 5 vs 3 w/ 50 AP once you've got max stacks). Etc.

Spoiler alert.
AR builds are probably the most powerful builds after Psi builds.
Burst = Rapidly fires five bullets with reduced precision. Full-auto (lvl6) adds 2 more rounds to a Burst. Just think about it: 7 bullets for the cost of 3.
Chimera 9mm + Rapid Reloader = 13 AP per shot
Adrenaline + Temporal Contraction = 92 AP for first 3 rounds
Suppressive Fire (lvl1) + Full-Auto (lvl6) + Concentrated Fire(lvl10) + Commando (lvl14) = profit
The build is basically done at lvl 14. You are basically unstoppable (Tchort included). Everything else is just topping.
The only downside is that you have to carry a shit ton of ammo.

Pistol/SMG builds can be as powerful as AR builds because they profit from AP reduction at high DEX. Also pistols have their own version of Burst (3 bullets instead of 5).
Theoretically Snipers should be the superior choice and they are doing more damage per shot but that means that Snipers are basically wasting more damage with fewer shots.
Unfortunately these builds feel like shit because Underrail is throwing hordes of enemies at you and that means mobility and more attacks are more important than apex damage per shot.

Is SMG build viable nowadays? I haven't played since QT 2 -> 5 nerf and I hear that in recent patches Burst no longer get any benefit from Smart Module, which was key to SMG builds. That and Expertise nerf.

It might just be a strictly worse AR build in most cases.

Blackmill

Scholar
Is SMG build viable nowadays? I haven't played since QT 2 -> 5 nerf and I hear that in recent patches Burst no longer get any benefit from Smart Module, which was key to SMG builds. That and Expertise nerf.

I wasn't playing an SMG char but I did find a 176Q Jackrabbit frame which I turned it into a Silenced 5mm Tactical Jackrabbit. It dealt 13-23 damage per hit. Coupled with all the relevant damage feats (suppressive fire, opportunist, expertise), plus W2C rounds, a single burst was capable of killing one of the metal armor, 400-500 health Protectrate soldiers found in Fort Apogee. That said, (1) the Protectrate soldier's metal armor was probably not great and (2) I was level 30, so I can't say if the SMG is a reliable 1-burst kill on most enemies before then, and going from 1 to 2 bursts to kill matters a lot. Late enough in the game, SMGs are probably better against enemies with less than 500 health+shield and 50% damage resistance, since you get way more burst fires, but worse otherwise. Assuming you have a large enough stockpile of W2C rounds.

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, I finally got my upgraded jetski, cruised around outside Core City, very cool. Decide to get beyond the intro to Expedition; show up to the Crimson Meadow whatever center, I can't find an easy way in because I'm weak and non-agile. No worries, I'll go round.

Hives and locusts everywhere.

I actually don't want to play this 'avoid the locust' garbage.

Damianus_NT

Novice
I'm pretty sure you're done quest line wise. You can go on a rampage and kill all the Natives + their chiefs. You get oddities from all of them. Fetid Marsh + Quarry are also explorable. Other than that, I haven't found anything.
The Quarry is explorable? So far, I have thought that Citadel of Life and Viridescent Quarry are two locations that cannot be accessed in any way. Gonna look around one more time.
I have been avoiding the natives because I kinda hoped I can somehow make them neutral towards me. Seeing these poor tribal women (grandmas included) run away from you screaming... its fucked up. Both, leaving them alone (so they can burry their husbands and sons) or killing them as well (to spare them any further misery) make me feel really shitty.
Also...
I was wondering if there's a way to destroy the monoliths (I recall three: Abysal Station, Black Sea entrance and Natives' "serpent room")? The Eternal Torch can kill spawning spirits, but the monoliths seem indestructable.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
The Quarry is explorable? So far, I have thought that Citadel of Life and Viridescent Quarry are two locations that cannot be accessed in any way. Gonna look around one more time.
The outside zone that you marked as Quarry on your map is what I mean.
I have been avoiding the natives because I kinda hoped I can somehow make them neutral towards me. Seeing these poor tribal women (grandmas included) run away from you screaming... its fucked up.
I must be a Psychopath because I massacared them all and then raped their corpses. Once you read the backstory on them, I would say genociding all of them is the smart and benevolent thing to do tbh.
I have been avoiding the natives because I kinda hoped I can somehow make them neutral towards me. Seeing these poor tribal women (grandmas included) run away from you screaming... its fucked up. Both, leaving them alone (so they can burry their husbands and sons) or killing them as well (to spare them any further misery) make me feel really shitty.
Also...
I was wondering if there's a way to destroy the monoliths (I recall three: the underwater base, Black Sea entrance and Natives' "serpent room")? The Eternal Torch can kill spawning spirits, but the monoliths seem indestructable.
The monoliths are destructible. Just keep blasting them with the torch. And you can only destroy the abysall staiton one and the serpent room one. The black sea entrance one is not a monolith.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I used a q94 plate for this, since using the q154 plate only added 1% mechanical resistance.

I'm not sure what to use the q154 plate for. The choice is pretty much between a riot gear shield and a spear, but neither of those things are made that much more fantastic by super steel, especially when one considers that one carries multiple spears to work better with different feats. The best use of super steel has always been metal armor.

f0530776c1.png

Blackmill

Scholar
Is there a way to Abyssal station (L2) that doesn't involve triggering the pirates?

Yes, I believe so. You can reach LemCo through the Fetid Marsh. That's how I got there the first time. By complete accident, though. The path is not obvious at all.

There's an not very obvious corner that you can click on to climb. I think it's at K4. See the map that was posted on the previous page? I'm talking about the area to the left (west) of the Quarry. The middle left of that area, near the hive, is where you click. It will drop you down into a pit with a 5-6 Leper serpents so be ready. Once you've killed the serpents you can exit into the Quarry and be sure to check the loot containers while you're there. After that you just fight through some spiders and you should be able to make your way to L2.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've been trying to catch a phantom jelly for the past fucking week, off and on, moving from area to area. The freezer in my house is pregnant with shitloads of fish.

Almost 1,000 hours in this game, and catching a fucking fish is what I have to ask for help with. I want to know where that piece of shit is confirmed to spawn.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is there a way to Abyssal station (L2) that doesn't involve triggering the pirates?

Yes, I believe so. You can reach LemCo through the Fetid Marsh. That's how I got there the first time. By complete accident, though. The path is not obvious at all.

There's an not very obvious corner that you can click on to climb. I think it's at K4. See the map that was posted on the previous page? I'm talking about the area to the left (west) of the Quarry. The middle left of that area, near the hive, is where you click. It will drop you down into a pit with a 5-6 Leper serpents so be ready. Be sure to check the loot containers in the Quarry. After that you just fight through some Spiders and you should be able to make your way to L2.
swamp where you "jump" with 1AGL checks?

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I've been trying to catch a phantom jelly for the past fucking week, off and on, moving from area to area. The freezer in my house is pregnant with shitloads of fish.

Almost 1,000 hours in this game, and catching a fucking fish is what I have to ask for help with. I want to know where that piece of shit is confirmed to spawn.
Lmao I caught a phantom jelly in that river north of the rail crossing train the first time I fished there. It was in the big cave area with the metal bridge

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

Lmao I caught a phantom jelly in that river north of the rail crossing train the first time I fished there. It was in the big cave area with the metal bridge
it was in the caves you go down from the north of rail crossing (where siphoner spawns), but i guess they are all random. i have been trying to find ghostface and cannot find it ffs too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
it was in the caves you go down from the north of rail crossing (where siphoner spawns), but i guess they are all random. i have been trying to find ghostface and cannot find it ffs too.

Ghostface can only be caught at the end of the Core City sewers, in the room with the several drainpipes on the left.

Styg thought this was a good idea for some reason, in addition to the most boring possible implementation of a fishing minigame. Yes, it's still a minigame, whether anyone realizes it or not.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Fuck yeah, just sold the Reef Glider to Ray for 30k charons. You could probably ask for more with higher Mercantile. Proud to be a member of the Merchants Guild™
How'd you sell the jet to Ray? I brought it to Core City docks but every time I click the option to sell, I can only say I have nothing for him.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Fuck yeah, just sold the Reef Glider to Ray for 30k charons. You could probably ask for more with higher Mercantile. Proud to be a member of the Merchants Guild™
How'd you sell the jet to Ray? I brought it to Core City docks but every time I click the option to sell, I can only say I have nothing for him.

You have to open the gate and drive the ski inside before you can sell it.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
35k just like that. Now all I need to do is figure out which damn Jet Ski I want. Anyone have any suggestions? What's the best combination of Speed and Survivability. Melee so suspension doesn't really matter. Also, are the Jet Ski weapons worth a damn? If they are, what's the best?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
35k just like that. Now all I need to do is figure out which damn Jet Ski I want. Anyone have any suggestions? What's the best combination of Speed and Survivability. Melee so suspension doesn't really matter. Also, are the Jet Ski weapons worth a damn? If they are, what's the best?

If you're melee, maneuverability is the key stat you need, so the faster the better (in most cases). The best "happy medium" jets are actually the Protectorate and Aegis cruisers, in my opinion. Otherwise, you've got a choice between the Shark and the Glow. Personally, I prefer the Phaser, because it's very fast but sports medium parts and isn't as weak as the Torpedo.

The Devastator's plasma cannon is pretty great, since it's basically a weak plasma grenade with a smaller AoE, as long as you don't mind using one fusion cell per shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom