Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Online only stops piracy too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah. What also has me curious, since it's a streaming exclusive is if the game will even have settings. Why would it? I guess resolution maybe.

Resolution will be funny because they'll advertise "4k 60fps with HDR!!!" over and over, but that doesn't mean the game is actually rendering at that resolution. I would guess a lot of them will internally render while the video feed is 4k.

Tehdagah

Arcane

They stuffed the slutty sorceress with clothes lol

1080x360

Before:
B3FACA26D827826E7F181CDC8368DD2F7472E703

Volokard

Novice
Online-only for a singleplayer game is just stupid. Stadia could be fine as an alternative/extra option, travelers, casual gamers, etc., but exclusivity to an online platform in this case is silly. However, it's the devs' choice. No use in complaining or hating them, just ignore it. They'll get the message at some point.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't think most people care about online only, I noticed that in the past when certain games went online only. (Like Elite Dangerous). There is outrage by some but most people don't seem to care. No idea if Stadia will be a success or not though, I hardly even know what it is, can't be bothered to even read about it.

Last edited:

Volokard

Novice
I suppose we'll see when Stadia launches. But I really don't want the future of games to be like this...

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Most people don't care about online only since we're almost always connected to the Internet anyway, and it got much better and affordable with time.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Most people don't care about online only since we're almost always connected to the Internet anyway, and it got much better and affordable with time.

Even if you take out all the online only, you never own it style "DRM" concerns no one gives a shit about... there's still input lag (which should be even more terrible with a mouse), lack of control over settings or ability to mod files and compression or low internal rendering causing visual issues. However if it works okay and is a lot cheaper/easier I expect most consumers will ignore those problems too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Even if you take out all the online only, you never own it style "DRM" concerns no one gives a shit about... there's still input lag (which should be even more terrible with a mouse), lack of control over settings or ability to mod files and compression or low internal rendering causing visual issues. However if it works okay and is a lot cheaper/easier I expect most consumers will ignore those problems too.

Yes. And also the fact that the average gamer doesn't know what any of those other things are. Wot means DRN? Wot iz impot leg? Wots a mowse? Wot is mod? Wot means cotrol sattings? Wot is infernal randoring?

Üstad

Arcane
Every AAA game
Will be shit by the time. And %90 of them will have blue haired gender neutral pratagonist. I wish SU didn't dissolve solely for this. Yandex could be proper rival against google and we wouldnt have this kind of retardation.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think most people care about online only, I noticed that in the past when certain games went online only. (Like Elite Dangerous). There is outrage by some but most people don't seem to care. No idea if Stadia will be a success or not though, I hardly even know what it is, can't be bothered to even read about it.

Yep, most people don't give a flying fuck about online only, DRM or anything else. A handful of nerds like us are barking about it but the caravan lumbers on.

As for Stadia being a success ....most likely scenario is game streaming vs. traditional platforms will be the same like movie streaming vs. broadcast is today. Both will exist side by side but game streaming will be the cool kid on the block, the one that is growing while other kids are shrinking, the one having the most money and doing all the new, expensive stuff. Eventually it will cross the critical threshold, all the big publishers will go streaming exclusive and then most of the middle ones and even some indies. Non streamed games will be as niche as boxed PC games are today.

It's not gonna happen tomorrow or in 2 years but within 10 years almost sure. Go buy your next gen Playstation boys coz it's gonna be the last one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-cross-progression-with-every-title-on-stadia

John Justice: "We are trying to implement cross-progression with every title on Stadia"
Google Stadia VP and head of product confirms service will include free trials, parental controls, mods, more features

According to Google Stadia VP and head of product John Justice, the Stadia team is working hard to implement not just cross-platform play, but also cross-progression across as many games on the service as possible.

Speaking in a video interview with StadiaCast, Justice said that Google wanted to include the feature event for games that don't include online or multiplayer features by necessity. He offered the example of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (though he acknowledged Skyrim had not been announced for Google Stadia) as a situation where a single-player, story-based game might benefit from cross-progression on a new platform.

"We are trying to do [cross-progression] with every single title we're bringing to Stadia. That's something that we see as a key piece of next-gen. We're trying to push that next-gen is all about openness, it's about being able to play across your friend groups, it's about taking down these walled gardens, it's about being able to keep your progression wherever it is you are."

But he also acknowledged the company was encountering some resistance.

"Not every game platform is wholly on board with this, and some of them are on board with it for some titles and not for others."

Justice also mentioned (though did not go into detail on) several other features Google Stadia would have at or after launch, including eventual free trials of games, parental controls, and a system for implementing mods in certain games.

Finally, when asked what the biggest misconception people had about Google Stadia was, he honed in on the differences between Stadia Pro and Stadia Base, as well as what he considered to be an unhelpful comparison of Stadia Pro to Netflix.

"Normally [to play games in 4K] I've got to go buy a high-end console or a gaming PC," he said. "That whole layer, that whole hardware there, and it's better hardware than you can buy in a console today, we're giving all that for free. The Pro subscription, think about it more as an optional thing that adds some extra features, just like PS Plus or Live Gold. They add some games, they add some extra features. Not only do we give you the hardware layers [with Base] and don't make you pay for that, we also don't block multiplayer. A lot of people haven't quite gotten that before, probably because we're only doing the Founder's thing now and for that you have to get everything all at once."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's those service features that will get the trojan horse in the door, they know that. It's the same thing Steam did, launching at first as a DRM platform but then winning the community over with game and social features people liked. Insert despair.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What is cross-progression?

Also what sort of internet connection do you need to get a super fancy looking game streamed to you at 4k?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also what sort of internet connection do you need to get a super fancy looking game streamed to you at 4k?

They laid out the supposed bandwidth for each tier of video quality before. I want to say 4k with HDR required 25Mb, but it could have been 35 or something like that. It's relatively low, unless you live in potato.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Not bad, but it will exclude a hell of a lot of people. The average download speed of US is 5.1 (mbps) and the average upload speed was 1.1 (mbps). In some places in EU like the UK that is even worse. Majority of people have one of those "UP TO 10mbit/s which means about 5). And there are more primitive EU countries. Also Aus is a joke with internet in general. And then even in more developed countries, there are a lot of people who live in rural areas.

I have a 50mbit download but I struggle to stream youtube often. I suspect because youtube throttles some less popular videos, and/or its infrastructure struggles at busy times, or whatever. I suspect Stadia will be the same. When this releases, I would put money on the internet being full of ZOMG DIS HAZ LAGZ?! posts from people who can't stream smoothly in 1080p. I really think it will die like betamax, google glasses, zune, etc. But I don't know how hard they are going to push it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not bad, but it will exclude a hell of a lot of people. The average download speed of US is 5.1 (mbps) and the average upload speed was 1.1 (mbps). In some places in EU like the UK that is even worse. Majority of people have one of those "UP TO 10mbit/s which means about 5). And there are more primitive EU countries.
LOL, what a joke. I know it is harder to cover larger countries with internet, but what you describe is abysmal. We are in the 21st century FFS. Meanwhile in Hungary service providers are competing with eachother, to decide which one of them can provide 500-1000 Mbps internet for less money. I'm not saying that there aren't some areas here which have shitty connection, but in general we have fast, cheap and solid internet.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The worst thing about it to me is how shady it is to bullshit the customer. Selling something as "up to 15mbit" and then they can provide 2mbit and say well it is UP TO. Also apparently the only cable internet company in the UK uses the same gear that one of the top cable companies in the US uses, but they have it deliberately limited at a fraction of its capacity. Mostly this is because they know they have x bandwidth which would satisfy say 5 million customers. But they sign up 30 million customers and just but harsh limits on everyones speed, and if everyone was to log in at the same time, the whole network would break down. Oversubscribing happens on planes and stuff too, but with internet I think they totally overdo it.

Some places are good though. Like in the US, it is generally terrible but in places like the Tristate area where a bunch of companies are competing for a huge market, you can get amazing internet at a cheap price. In other places... not so much. And in rural places, you are fucked. Also in big apartment buildings where one high speed line gets split to 100+ people, it is no longer high speed.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not bad, but it will exclude a hell of a lot of people. The average download speed of US is 5.1 (mbps) and the average upload speed was 1.1 (mbps).

This is because those averages count wide swaths of the U.S. that are very rural but also very sparsely populated. If you live anywhere near a major city, like a 90 minute drive or less, then 25Mbps is no big deal at all. These companies seem fine with writing off rural people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom