Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Loria

catfood

AGAIN
So there's this new Warcrap clone out named Loria. Looking at the pics it doesn't look too promising but there's a demo for it at least. I'm going to give it a spin this evening.

Anyone tried it yet?

https://af.gog.com/game/loria?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, also available natively on Linux. That's a big plus.
To the wishlist it goes - but not gonna lie, it's going to be there a while.

hellbent

Augur
Downloaded demo also for later today. Hadn't heard of it until seeing on GOG this AM. Steam reviews are p good. Some elements of WC going on, plus some pieces remind me of Warlords Battlecry, which has a special place in my heart despite it being the RTS bastard offshoot of the dearly departed Warlords series.

EDIT: Haven't had much time with it yet, but completed first level in campaign and the feel is similar to Rival Realms, at least in this first level. Namely, you navigate a map with obstacles to overcome rather than building an army or defending a fort. No resource collection yet, just navigating real time battles with hero and a few specialized support units (swordman, bowman, healer/mage). Started 2nd campaign game and saved there. Looks like magic items collected in the first level carry over to the next, but the units did not. Will have to play more to see how the RTS building mechanics work since videos/pics suggest there is a traditional RTS structure here.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
its "my-warcraft!!11", better than w2 i guess. But w3, starcraft1 are still more fun, and have more interesting gameplay, units variety.

2x sides with mirrored units
tech tree and units are taken straight from w3
3x heroes melee/range/caster - : /
there is no patrol command

:|

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
its "my-warcraft!!11", better than w2 i guess. But w3, starcraft1 are still more fun, and have more interesting gameplay, units variety.

2x sides with mirrored units
tech tree and units are taken straight from w3
3x heroes melee/range/caster - : /
there is no patrol command

:|

And it looks like shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried it. Very straight Warcraft 3 clone with no standout features of its own. Feels a bit like a mix of WC2 and WC3.
Too bad the pathfinding is taken from WC2 and not WC3. It's pretty bad. Really, after playing Age of Empires 2 and Warcraft 3 for decades, I'm getting really pissed at modern RTS games that can't get unit movement right.

Not a terrible game but considering how little of its own it brings to the table, I might as well just play Warcraft 3.

Norfleet

Pathfinding with moving obstacles is actually quite a tricky thing. Pathfinding on a static map is basically entirely solved, but once you get moving obstacles that can obstruct each other, things get really weird. The result is like that dance where two people try to pass each other in opposite directions, only each time somebody moves to the side to get out of the way of the other one, the other one ALSO moves to the side to avoid the first, and this dance just keep going on over and over.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pathfinding with moving obstacles is actually quite a tricky thing. Pathfinding on a static map is basically entirely solved, but once you get moving obstacles that can obstruct each other, things get really weird. The result is like that dance where two people try to pass each other in opposite directions, only each time somebody moves to the side to get out of the way of the other one, the other one ALSO moves to the side to avoid the first, and this dance just keep going on over and over.

All I want from RTS unit pathfinding is that when I select a group and order them to move, they line up in formation and march at the same speed instead of trickling into the enemy base in a conga line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom