Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Never had an issue with this before. I solved Jack Quicksilver's missions in the optimal way—no doubt about it; I've done this many times before, and I double-checked the wiki—and he just vanishes after the final bits of dialogue, ending the entire quest line.

Specifically, I solved the murder with a laundry list of clues to Lenox' full satisfaction, convinced the Chief that what's-his-face was innocent so that he'd be released from Foundry Prison, and finally I broadcast the Hercules data over the Core City vidscreens to Ohad Xander's satisfaction.
Only thing I can think of is that more pitfalls have been added to this quest line, which frankly is absurd. Maybe it's yet another related bug.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
Suddenly I feel an overwhelming urge to play a Bare Fists With Shield build, that uses low AP attacks to immediately build Boarding Up stacks to maximum, then use a specialized Shield Bash for 0 AP to smash someone with a sloped tungsten shield and hopefully deal some decent damage with all the shield block amount bonuses.

zuAQ5y0.gif

There's some serious growing pains in there as I also want to go Dex and low armor penalty for mobility and crits and Lightning Punches, while Shield Bash requires 6 Str and Shield Arm requires no less than 8 Str for some goddamn reason.

Current theorizing
Level 1 - http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQgKCAMDAwUADwAPAAAPAAAPAA8PAAAPAAAAAAAADyTCgt-_
Level 30 - http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgg...8xA8KpecKz4qGQAuKnggHisKUC4ragBeK2tQLitrYD378

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
c23bad0d95.png

7866709fd7.png

Right, nothing's changed with the expansion, then. I'm no longer working for Oculus.

If anyone has a save file with the Meet Azif quest active, I'd like to see it. Then again, I should probably give up on seeing the Oculus this playthrough, because it's probably too much trouble.

If you guys at Stygian Software could fix this shit so that one of the most oversensitive quest lines in the entire game doesn't bug out and act retarded constantly, that'd be great.

I don't give a shit about the Huxkey or anything else, by the way. Finding the Oculus was my favorite moment back in the day, and now I can't revisit it because fuck you.

ciox

Liturgist
Strength and high armor penalty version of the bare fist + shield build: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HhA...KqwqtST0sDVMKpecK2wq3itqAF4ra1AuK2tgPitr4F378

c23bad0d95.png

7866709fd7.png

Right, nothing's changed with the expansion, then. I'm no longer working for Oculus.

If anyone has a save file with the Meet Azif quest active, I'd like to see it. Then again, I should probably give up on seeing the Oculus this playthrough, because it's probably too much trouble.

If you guys at Stygian Software could fix this shit so that one of the most oversensitive quest lines in the entire game doesn't bug out and act retarded constantly, that'd be great.

I don't give a shit about the Huxkey or anything else, by the way. Finding the Oculus was my favorite moment back in the day, and now I can't revisit it because fuck you.

The team is on break until sep 9th so I would make a thread on their forums around that time, or bump it around that time if I wanted to be sure they see it.

ciox

Liturgist
Ok, I've done this before but I've completely forgotten, where do you go to upgrade your microchip implant's access, it must be one of the science complex areas in the black sea but I can't find it.

epeli

Arcane
If anyone has a save file with the Meet Azif quest active, I'd like to see it.
I don't, but try changing this:
old: 20 66 61 63 74 69 6F 6E 5F 77 61 74 63 68 65 72 73 5F 6E 6F 4C 6F 6E 67 65 72 57 6F 72 6B 69 6E 67
new: 21 6E 70 63 5F 6A 61 63 6B 51 75 69 63 6B 73 69 6C 76 65 72 5F 73 65 6E 74 59 6F 75 54 6F 41 7A 69 66

It should move Azif to hanging rat. Won't add the quest to your notes, but might work otherwise.

PS. What bug? I'm not aware of any in the questline. It's just very easy to fuck up.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
old: 20 66 61 63 74 69 6F 6E 5F 77 61 74 63 68 65 72 73 5F 6E 6F 4C 6F 6E 67 65 72 57 6F 72 6B 69 6E 67
new: 21 6E 70 63 5F 6A 61 63 6B 51 75 69 63 6B 73 69 6C 76 65 72 5F 73 65 6E 74 59 6F 75 54 6F 41 7A 69 66

It should move Azif to hanging rat. Won't add the quest to your notes, but might work otherwise.

PS. What bug? I'm not aware of any in the questline. It's just very easy to fuck up.

Someone PMed me a relevant save file, so I have that to work with, too.

In principle, I don't mind the Oculus being notoriously hard to reach. That adds to its value as a hidden area, even if (and partly because) that means some players may not even realize it exists. Still, there's such a thing as going too far.

I'm 100% sure I completed the three tasks optimally. The only possibility is that I asked too many questions (I did once or twice, just to see what they'd say), or that there's a bug. There was a bug in the past, as you may recall, where Azif wouldn't even show up even when people had the quest. There was another in which the Free Drones recruiter wouldn't show up when she was supposed to. These types of bugs are especially annoying given how oversensitive both of those quest lines are to pitfalls.

Well, I also chose to fight Patrick's killer, but I did so in the fashion allowed by the quest parameters and dialogue, after the killer had confessed. It didn't screw anything up at the time.

Goromorg

Savant

Someone PMed me a relevant save file, so I have that to work with, too.

In principle, I don't mind the Oculus being notoriously hard to reach. That adds to its value as a hidden area, even if (and partly because) that means some players may not even realize it exists. Still, there's such a thing as going too far.

I'm 100% sure I completed the three tasks optimally. The only possibility is that I asked too many questions (I did once or twice, just to see what they'd say), or that there's a bug. There was a bug in the past, as you may recall, where Azif wouldn't even show up even when people had the quest. There was another in which the Free Drones recruiter wouldn't show up when she was supposed to. These types of bugs are especially annoying given how oversensitive both of those quest lines are to pitfalls.

Well, I also chose to fight Patrick's killer, but I did so in the fashion allowed by the quest parameters and dialogue, after the killer had confessed. It didn't screw anything up at the time.
I think you shouldn't confront assassin at all. Just gather all clues and report to Lenox - that's the optimal solution.

ciox

Liturgist
Ok, I've done this before but I've completely forgotten, where do you go to upgrade your microchip implant's access, it must be one of the science complex areas in the black sea but I can't find it.
Help a guy out, brahs, this is specifically the thing you need to do before you can even enter Joint Security.

Tigranes

Arcane
Help a guy out, brahs, this is specifically the thing you need to do before you can even enter Joint Security.

Health Centre, one of the medical terminals.

Tigranes

Arcane
Suddenly I feel an overwhelming urge to play a Bare Fists With Shield build, that uses low AP attacks to immediately build Boarding Up stacks to maximum, then use a specialized Shield Bash for 0 AP to smash someone with a sloped tungsten shield and hopefully deal some decent damage with all the shield block amount bonuses.

zuAQ5y0.gif

There's some serious growing pains in there as I also want to go Dex and low armor penalty for mobility and crits and Lightning Punches, while Shield Bash requires 6 Str and Shield Arm requires no less than 8 Str for some goddamn reason.

Current theorizing
Level 1 - http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQgKCAMDAwUADwAPAAAPAAAPAA8PAAAPAAAAAAAADyTCgt-_
Level 30 - http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgg...8xA8KpecKz4qGQAuKnggHisKUC4ragBeK2tQLitrYD378

Zero defences, 3 CON, completely reliant on riot armour & shield, right? The same issue as a spearman - you're only blocking certain types of damage, no? I thought I read Blaine say something about riot shields not blocking ranged damage properly, as well.

lv16 for Boarding Up also means that you get your signature move when basically half the game is over, but you may be OK with that.

ciox

Liturgist

I just revisited that place, is it just a basic computer console?

Also, what's with this door in that place that never opens? Even if you're done with the main thing and can leave.
https://imgur.com/a/FJq1uMu

Zero defences, 3 CON, completely reliant on riot armour & shield, right? The same issue as a spearman - you're only blocking certain types of damage, no? I thought I read Blaine say something about riot shields not blocking ranged damage properly, as well.
lv16 for Boarding Up also means that you get your signature move when basically half the game is over, but you may be OK with that.

It's tough to balance survivability with all the things this build is supposed to do. The strength version is probably more sensible.
Using the shield properly kinda requires spec points anyway, so yeah that will be a somewhat late thing, though as it is you can easily reach lvl 23 just by doing Black Sea content, not even doing anything with the institute, oligarchs, acid hunters, etc, incomplete quests all over the place, so it depends on whether you want to do Black Sea content or not.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Matrix 4 was just announced. I guess you guys are now ready to understand the Code :)

The team is on break until sep 9th so I would make a thread on their forums around that time, or bump it around that time if I wanted to be sure they see it.

Good for them. May the Locust God protect them :)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

This worked, thank you. There were some screw-ups at first, failures to load or severe bugs, and it required some trial and error—I had to append "01" to the end of the new string after overwriting, since the new string is one numeral longer than the old, and my hex editor automatically overwrites additional unselected numerals in order to fit whatever's being overwrite-pasted. I used your online unpacker and repacker, and repacked into the custom unknown version that's automatically added to the drop-down.

I think you shouldn't confront assassin at all. Just gather all clues and report to Lenox - that's the optimal solution.

Nonsense. No solution can be optimal if it means not getting a cigar. Haven't you heard the old saw "Close, but no cigar?". Well, I got the cigar. Optimal solution, case closed. :troll:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
in faundry when bragging about your success, did you say that you are sure prisoner didnt share any info? I think its required

Yeah, I did.

maybe you asked stupid questions to guy in core city instead of being professional?

Yeah... yeah, I did. I only asked a couple, and I knew that what I was doing was wrong, but I couldn't help myself. I wanted to see them bitch about me not acting like a robot.

It's okay, because I solved an IRL hacking minigame and will get to see the Oculus anyway.

Goromorg

Savant
Nonsense. No solution can be optimal if it means not getting a cigar. Haven't you heard the old saw "Close, but no cigar?". Well, I got the cigar. Optimal solution, case closed. :troll:
Believe it or not, Oculus medic has unlimited supply of cigars :lol:

Goromorg

Savant
I can't force myself to begin expedition without top-end gear and all psi spells that I want.
Which means I'll have to start it at lvl 20+ and be disappointed at low content difficulty :argh:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah... yeah, I did. I only asked a couple, and I knew that what I was doing was wrong, but I couldn't help myself. I wanted to see them bitch about me not acting like a robot.

It's okay, because I solved an IRL hacking minigame and will get to see the Oculus anyway.
Yeah, this happened to me once before too. Can't dick around with the Hercules selling guy in Core City or it will lock you out. I always make a pre Jack Silver questline save just in case I fuck something up so I can go back and redo shit.

Tigranes

Arcane

I just revisited that place, is it just a basic computer console?

Also, what's with this door in that place that never opens? Even if you're done with the main thing and can leave.
https://imgur.com/a/FJq1uMu

It's tough to balance survivability with all the things this build is supposed to do. The strength version is probably more sensible.
Using the shield properly kinda requires spec points anyway, so yeah that will be a somewhat late thing, though as it is you can easily reach lvl 23 just by doing Black Sea content, not even doing anything with the institute, oligarchs, acid hunters, etc, incomplete quests all over the place, so it depends on whether you want to do Black Sea content or not.

Memory's fuzzy, but I think it might be the medical terminal on the north end of that map in the picture. It's one of those special 'flat screen' computer terminals tied to a large fMRI-style chambers, reminiscent of the +attrib machines in Fallout and AOD. You have to use the machine to extract the microchip from Phil's arm then inject it into yourself. You need to turn on the power to the place to do all this, of course.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aw for fucks sakes. Somehow Razer managed to die during the Protectorate mission which means I can't do the Fetid Marsh bullshit. I have a save that goes back right before the mission, but I just finished blowing up the sonar station and making all the stealth gear + managing to stealth in was almost impossible, so fuck doing all of that again. Is there a way to edit saves? I'm down to try.

EDIT: And now my games bugged. Someone said something about it earlier with Cruzer showing up as unknown in the captains cabin after I blow the Sonar station? Anyone have any idea on how to fix it?

Blackmill

Scholar
Aw for fucks sakes. Somehow Razer managed to die during the Protectorate mission which means I can't do the Fetid Marsh bullshit. I have a save that goes back right before the mission, but I just finished blowing up the sonar station and making all the stealth gear + managing to stealth in was almost impossible, so fuck doing all of that again. Is there a way to edit saves? I'm down to try.

EDIT: And now my games bugged. Someone said something about it earlier with Cruzer showing up as unknown in the captains cabin after I blow the Sonar station? Anyone have any idea on how to fix it?

That bug happened to me with Razor, if I returned to the Captain after starting the Protectrate ship raid mission, but before meeting up with Razor. It ultimately didn't cause any problems, though. Is this bug after reloading to the earlier save? In that case, maybe just go forward with the mission, and hope for the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom