Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Whats the usual/average Publisher/Developer cut? If its more favorable than the 30/70 or 12/88 split with the publisher+dev/storefront combo, would steam just outright win in perpetuity if they became a publisher to all the devs and cut out the middlemen publishers? Of course that means managers and timelines and roadmaps and more support/whips to drive the devs along
Being a publisher would require far too much work of the boring project management kind for a hip and agile company like Valve.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Their exclusives makes more people download torrent than their client.

I an not in favor of piracy since it(and activi$ion bs) killed Troika games, but is the reality...

I mean it's possible. I don't think anyone knows what the percentage of people is that don't feel morally okay with pirating everything but do feel justified pirating when the company pisses them off. It's something impossible to research effectively. I wonder if EA did any research on this when they went Origin exclusive.

V_K

Arcane
Their exclusives makes more people download torrent than their client.

I an not in favor of piracy since it(and activi$ion bs) killed Troika games, but is the reality...

I mean it's possible. I don't think anyone knows what the percentage of people is that don't feel morally okay with pirating everything but do feel justified pirating when the company pisses them off. It's something impossible to research effectively. I wonder if EA did any research on this when they went Origin exclusive.
I'm not sure it was possible for EA to become more hated than they were, so they weren't really risking anything.

The benefit of digital Magic is that you can at least get some good stuff without paying a dime.
The benefit of paper Magic is that if you own that card, Wizards can't shut down a server and render it no longer yours.
starting the next month, the following cards are banned from use in tournaments:

it takes skill, knowledge and lots of spare time, but mtg can turn a profit. digital mtg can't.

Squid

Arbiter
Yeah, if you really study what comes out and try to buy and sell at the right times.

I've done this very well and horribly as well. Usually though when I do it well, it was to obtain more cards. I remember I had 4 Rhys the Redeemeds because I started in Shadowmoor and had a token deck. Well, a few years later I decided I only need one of them for my EDH deck and I'd be willing to trade the rest. It was about 2-3 bucks a piece. A month later, Return to Ravnica comes out and he jumps to 20 each. Now he sits at 35. I'm glad I have one still but I'm still salty about my foolishness.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I love all these 'Please, let us explain our decision...' posts by developers. They always boil down to: Epic bribed us. Period. Enough with the fancy equivocating.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I love all these 'Please, let us explain our decision...' posts by developers. They always boil down to: Epic bribed us. Period. Enough with the fancy equivocating.
Can't blame them, if they said nothing there would be a huge backlash. It's sad that developers need to do damage control for making a fair decision.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can't blame them, if they said nothing there would be a huge backlash. It's sad that developers need to do damage control for making a fair decision.

But you don't understand having to download your singleplayer game from a different app is a major crisis.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I was young once and thought cards look cool. So i've bought one cheap booster pack. After opening it i've found some angel chick and sold her on the spot for 10$. And that's all i know about mtg.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Has it been a year already? Why is the game still Early Access considering it's been so long anyways? Did they not get enough feedback on reddit/discord?
Also I decided to check the Steam forums (spoiler: big mistake) and the well has been completely poisoned by the EGS deal, about 80% of the threads on the first page were about it. I know that the individuals posting there in the first place are the very vocal ones, but there did seem to be a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy the game and reward Supergiant's practices.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
but there did seem to be a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy the game and reward Supergiant's practices.
Yeah, that sort of weirded me out as well in SuperGiant's case. I get the sole mention of Epic gets a lot of people upset for good reason but in Hades' case it was a game that didn't have a Steam Page until today as far as I know, the developers weren't shitheads about it like other devs (Satisfactory and Ooblets), and their deal was made probably before the incompetence of Epic's store and their practices came into full light. That plus Pyre being a bomb for them, it was probably taking the deal or the company sinking. Whatever though, will probably get the game once it fully comes out next year and is generally received well.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

But you don't understand having to download your singleplayer game from a different app is a major crisis.
Bitch, I live in the first world so, for me, it IS a major crisis.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

One, it's not a fair decision. It's just a decision that looks fair and nets them money now... but what will they pay later on for it? No one seems to be willing to consider (let alone discuss) that question, least of all you EGS shills. Just stroll over to the Ion fury threads to see how quick a company suffers when it betrays its consumers. Not every developer is betraying its consumers by signing up as EGS exclusives... but far too many of them have already gone back on their promises.

Two, this is more than just downloading a game from a different app. We've been through the reasons why multiple times in this thread, but it's clear you cunts just don't want to hear it. Why should we listen to you when you won't listen to us?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One, it's not a fair decision. It's just a decision that looks fair and nets them money now... but what will they pay later on for it? No one seems to be willing to consider (let alone discuss) that question, least of all you EGS shills.

We've literally discussed it like 1,000 fucking times dude, and 90% of the people who bother with this thread are firmly on your side, so I don't know where this victim attitude is coming from. My opinion is exclusives work and only a small percentage of loud people really care, but I've also said repeatedly I could be wrong and since the Epic Client sucks they're not doing a good job of turning exclusives into a long-term customer base. So yes, it could blow up if they fuck around long enough for their Fortnite money to wear out.

Bruticis

Novice
Patron

Bitch, I live in the first world so, for me, it IS a major crisis.
Oh Metro, god damn I missed telling you how wrong you are. Did you miss me telling you how wrong you are?

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
https://youtu.be/aSzAu_WbgeY?t=1000

The hypocrisy of Epic Game Store.

The Bandwith can only support 10% of the games, so we (epic) have to pick carefully what games meet the criteria for our store. We'll contact the DARQ developer (because they meet the criteria), but then backtrack when they decline, and tell them that there is no more room in our store.

They preach about supporting developers and their livelihood, and then they go against all of that if a game declines their exclusivity deal, or don't meet their criteria. These games are chosen based on market value, so it's all about Epic and the money they want, and has nothing to do with the developer.

Epic is making the market a better place for developers? Fighting the big bad Steam? Right...

Dexter

Arcane
but there did seem to be a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy the game and reward Supergiant's practices.
Yeah, that sort of weirded me out as well in SuperGiant's case. I get the sole mention of Epic gets a lot of people upset for good reason but in Hades' case it was a game that didn't have a Steam Page until today as far as I know, the developers weren't shitheads about it like other devs (Satisfactory and Ooblets), and their deal was made probably before the incompetence of Epic's store and their practices came into full light. That plus Pyre being a bomb for them, it was probably taking the deal or the company sinking. Whatever though, will probably get the game once it fully comes out next year and is generally received well.
I removed most of the "Epic Games Exclusives" from my Steam Wishlist myself, since I wouldn't want to reward any of this horseshit. Only exceptions I made was a few games where I thought the publisher likely went above the developer's head. Maybe I'll get some of them if they draw my attention during some Sale or whatever, but there's certainly no more "Day 1 Buy"'s under that category.

People made lists (on the Steam forums and outside) and they're going to hold a grudge.

Jezal_k23

That'd encourage developers to go to Epic if they can, for double dipping. It's a great way to make a lot more money than usual, for sure.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That'd encourage developers to go to Epic if they can, for double dipping. It's a great way to make a lot more money than usual, for sure.
As opposed to be Epic exclusive if they make much less money on Steam. If Hades makes more money on Steam, it disproves Epic's claim that their store is better for the developer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom