Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Jezal_k23

I'm just presenting the ultimate best case scenario that most devs on Epic are probably hoping to accomplish: release a version of the game exclusively on Epic, get their exclusivity money and whatever sales they can get there. Work on a big update for the Steam release, marketing it as the "new and improved" ultimate version, and try to pull off a secondary launch on Steam. If it sells better on Steam than it did Epic, then it proves Steam is the better store, but in any case it sure as hell was best for the developer to go Epic exclusive first.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I'm just presenting the ultimate best case scenario that most devs on Epic are probably hoping to accomplish: release a version of the game exclusively on Epic, get their exclusivity money and whatever sales they can get there. Work on a big update for the Steam release, marketing it as the "new and improved" ultimate version, and try to pull off a secondary launch on Steam. If it sells better on Steam than it did Epic, then it proves Steam is the better store, but in any case it sure as hell was best for the developer to go Epic exclusive first.

I agree with this, though I would imagine that either Steam or Epic will put a stop to it. Steam growing tired of being an advertisement platform for these games that go Epic exclusive, or Epic losing too much money from the sales on Steam a year later, with the new and improved launch.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The "best case scenario" only concerns potentially popular and/or objectively good games which are also non-niche, of which very, very few are epic exclusives (for obvious reasons). Most of those timed exclusives, like Operencia (I'm always using it as an example, because its the only exclusive so far I had slight interest in), are completely dead in the water. I hope they spend the guaranteed sales advert money wisely, because they ain't getting any more. And the crowd funding bridge is mostly burnt too.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
but there did seem to be a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy the game and reward Supergiant's practices.
Yeah, that sort of weirded me out as well in SuperGiant's case. I get the sole mention of Epic gets a lot of people upset for good reason but in Hades' case it was a game that didn't have a Steam Page until today as far as I know, the developers weren't shitheads about it like other devs (Satisfactory and Ooblets), and their deal was made probably before the incompetence of Epic's store and their practices came into full light. That plus Pyre being a bomb for them, it was probably taking the deal or the company sinking. Whatever though, will probably get the game once it fully comes out next year and is generally received well.
I too wouldn't be interested in buying a game that was an exclusive on epic,even if really liked it. It is a matter of principles and tribalism :). I do not want to support people that support that kind of shit,it is that simple. Most of those devs will get the fat dick in the end,they will have the stigma of being an epic bitch for a long time,they did have loose a lot of people's good will in the end of the day. Some may even die out because of that retardation. People do have the tendency to punish those that betrayed the tribe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
7miltc7kmi321.png

Bruticis

Novice
Patron
The constant EGS hate is the weirdest fucking ever. It's a fucking digital store filled with games the kodex wasn't going to buy anyway. Steam doesn't need you to white knight it, kids.

Bruticis

Novice
Patron
The constant EGS hate is the weirdest fucking ever. It's a fucking digital store filled with games the kodex wasn't going to buy anyway. Steam doesn't need you to white knight it, kids.
CCP has placed 4 yuan in your account for this shill post
Shill, me? LOL, kid you have no idea what kind of bad ass superhero god I was at one point for Steam. I AM THE FORMER STEAM GOD you fucking noob.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CCP has placed 4 yuan in your account for this shill post
Shill, me? LOL, kid you have no idea what kind of bad ass superhero god I was at one point for Steam. I AM THE FORMER STEAM GOD you fucking noob.
So this is how you finance your expensive cocaine habit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

This is absolutely a thing since I know people (including maybe me on rare occasions) who re-buy things on GOG for the DRM/Client-free aspect, once they're in a deep sale. More revenue is good revenue. I've said before Boderlands 3 will be a big test for the acceptance of the store, but it will also be super interesting to see if any devs comment on what happened when they eventually made it to Steam.

passerby

Arcane
I sometimes rebuy on Steam, and hide games on gog because gog library is one tiled alphabetically sorted mess without an ability to create custom categories [autism]. I do this only when I stumble upon super cheap bundle, or max 1$ key on a reseller site, though.

I don't have this OCD issue with Uplay, or Origin where I have only like a dozen games each and Epic will fall in the same category ( haven't bought anything yet, just collected freebies ).

Last edited:

Bruticis

Novice
Patron
I sometimes rebuy on Steam, and hide games on gog because gog library is one tiled alphabetically sorted mess without an ability to create custom categories.
I believe you can now do this in the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client if you wanted to sign up for the beta access so might try that out and see if it's more to your liking.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I sometimes rebuy on Steam, and hide games on gog because gog library is one tiled alphabetically sorted mess without an ability to create custom categories.
I believe you can now do this in the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client if you wanted to sign up for the beta access so might try that out and see if it's more to your liking.
Stop pretending to be helpful, it makes my teeth itch.

Bruticis

Novice
Patron
Stop pretending to be helpful, it makes my teeth itch.
You know what makes your teeth not itch? Coke.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

If you can take the time to sign up again after all these years, you can take the time to read the entire thread.

That's why so many here are writing you off as the old man from Family Guy rather than some STEAM GAMING GOD.

Bruticis

Novice
Patron

If you can take the time to sign up again after all these years, you can take the time to read the entire thread.

That's why so many here are writing you off as the old man from Family Guy rather than some STEAM GAMING GOD.
I'm not reading a bunch of copy paste rehashed crap about EGS. I get it, the internet is angry, news at 11. You're still morons bitching over nothing.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I'm not reading a bunch of copy paste rehashed crap about EGS. I get it, the internet is angry, news at 11. You're still morons bitching over nothing.
Fuck this, I'm tired from reading this kind of shit from Epic shill retards like this one, so let me explain with a real case how shit the EGS is...

For us people who don't use USD currency (in my case South America), EGS implemented regional prices a while ago, but in the Store, the prices are still shown in USD. The only payment methods are credit card and Paypal, so no matter what, you're gonna pay in dollars, which is subject to exchange rates.
Steam show prices in local currency, and they also allow payments with local currency, thanks to a deal between Valve and an intermediary called BoaGold. Those prices are fixed, and they're around -40% cheaper than USA prices.
As a small example, Darksiders III costs $39.99 USD on EGS. On Steam, it costs $26.500 CLP, equivalent to $37.15 USD right now. That price will never change. Meanwhile, if our economy continues going down the shitter with higher exchange rates, the EGS will get even more expensive.
Compared to the prices on Steam, EGS is always more expensive, with fewer payment options. So for us third worlders, an EGS exclusive means the game will be pricier than a Steam release.
And that's ignoring all the problems and lack of features of EGS that's been already discussed at lenght here.

I think it's clear enough, but I suppose the usual retards will continue shilling for that Epic cancer

Bruticis

Novice
Patron

Fuck this, I'm tired from reading this kind of shit from Epic shill retards like this one, so let me explain with a real case how shit the EGS is...

For us people who don't use USD currency (in my case South America), EGS implemented regional prices a while ago, but in the Store, the prices are still shown in USD. The only payment methods are credit card and Paypal, so no matter what, you're gonna pay in dollars, which is subject to exchange rates.
Steam show prices in local currency, and they also allow payments with local currency, thanks to a deal between Valve and an intermediary called BoaGold. Those prices are fixed, and they're around -40% cheaper than USA prices.
As a small example, Darksiders III costs $39.99 USD on EGS. On Steam, it costs $26.500 CLP, equivalent to $37.15 USD right now. That price will never change. Meanwhile, if our economy continues going down the shitter with higher exchange rates, the EGS will get even more expensive.
Compared to the prices on Steam, EGS is always more expensive, with fewer payment options. So for us third worlders, an EGS exclusive means the game will be pricier than a Steam release.
And that's ignoring all the problems and lack of features of EGS that's been already discussed at lenght here.

I think it's clear enough, but I suppose the usual retards will continue shilling for that Epic cancer
I stopped reading at South America. You have far worse things to be concerned with in that case. Excuse me if I don't fall on my sword for some third worlders rights to use banana republic money. As an elite citizen of the United States of Trump, this is a non issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom