Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
Oh then it is fine. Consoles run it at around 25-28 fps which is normal for consoles.

mogwaimon

Magister
I'm not expecting 60FPS 4k out of an Xbox One, but go play Dead Rising 1, Ultimate MvC3, or even Dragon's Dogma on an Xbox 360. Same engine, much better optimization as those games run very well and don't look blurred to shit, and that's a console generation back. Then play MHW on an Xbox One and you can see that the game is poorly optimized and also looks like shit. I was a console peasant before I was PC master race so I'm used to games looking severely downgraded....or at least I used to be. Maybe it's just time coloring my perception.

Anyways...just finished watching the Developer Diary and there are some pretty neat QoL changes in there, they didn't confirm layered armor for all sets but they did make a lot of changes to that system, and finally we can clear out our unwanted investigations with one click instead of tediously clicking off one at a time and getting bored halfway through. Weapon tassels look neat too, nice to have some way to change up your weapon, especially since the weapon designs aren't great to begin with in World and there being only one-three very clear good endgame weapons for almost every weapon class.

Perkel

Arcane
Those games you speak of are literally decade old and most of them run on MT which didn't have modern rendering pipeline and you forgot that Dragon's Dogma run in letterbox and had FPS problems on consoles.

mogwaimon

Magister
Well, for comparison's sake I busted out my PS4 copy since I also have a PS4 and I booted it up and while the game still has framerate issues it actually looks like it has more vibrant colors on PS4 and the graphics aren't super blurry like on my Xbox, so...I would say the game does have issues on Xbox One if there's such a big difference between the two. Maybe if I had the upgraded versions of each console, it wouldn't be such a big issue, but none of this would even matter if we got the expansion on Steam on time to begin with as I'd just buy it there.

...and anyways I fail to see how the games being a decade old refutes the point that, running on their contemporary consoles, they performed better as opposed to a modern game running on a modern console. Obviously they weren't running the modern version of MT Framework but they were also optimized better for the inferior hardware, that's all I'm saying. Seeing it on my PS4 side by side with my Xbox only reinforces my personal belief in that statement.

Vorark

Erudite
I cannot watch the videos right now, any news about Zinogre?

finally we can clear out our unwanted investigations with one click instead of tediously clicking off one at a time and getting bored halfway through.

Oh god, yes!

The Xbox probably looks a bit worse because it runs at 864p; meanwhile, even the base PS4 runs it at 1080p...

The basic Xbox One and PS4
Resolution on the PS4 is set at 1080p (1920 x 1080), just as it was in the beta. The Xbox One is even worse with a resolution of 864p (1536 x 864). Moreover, Capcom, MHW’s developer, appears to have used an in-house technique to maintain resolution which produces fairly sharp images when the character is motionless and noticeably blurry images during movement.

Frame rates are uncapped on both of the vanilla consoles. The PS4 runs just like the beta with extended time spent below and occasional jumps above 30 fps. Again, the Xbox One is worse with generally lower frame rates and less frequent rises above 30 fps. Frame time is ragged on both consoles adding additional visual judder and uneven controller response.

The PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X – Resolution mode
There’s a lot to consider when looking at how MHW plays on the top-of-the-line consoles because each console offers the choice to prioritize frame rate, resolution or graphics.
Resolution mode produces a surprise when compared across consoles. The Pro uses checkerboard rendering to arrive at 1800p (3200 x 1800). Again, just like the beta. The graphically much superior One X renders at a lower 1728p (3072 x 1728). That’s right, resolution is lower on the One X than the Pro.

The difference in resolution between the two consoles is offset by the Pro using checkerboard rendering while the One X does not. This translates into smoother edges on the One X. Which looks better comes down to whether you prefer the smoother image displayed by the One X or the sharper detail seen on the Pro.
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...great-to-play-but-a-technical-disappointment/

Btw, speaking about consoles, the game runs fairly decent on the base PS4 if you don't fret much about framerate. Only gets real bad when fighting Legiana in the Coral map or when Kushala spams tornadoes all over.

mogwaimon

Magister
Nah, nothing about Zinogre yet, there are more panels tomorrow so maybe we'll see or hear there. They probably won't reveal him outright, but tomorrow they will likely talk about some of the new subspecies like Nightshade Paolumu, Coral Pukei Pukei, etc, and show another trailer so we'll see.

And yea, I fucking knew I wasn't pulling stuff out of my ass with those graphics. 864p, christ, what a weird resolution....

a cut of domestic sheep prime

so I tried picking it up on sale.

WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT.

ugly, bloom-filled, bland. It gave me a terrible headache just looking at it.

all the female models look like shit from the neck down. who decided "fat-thighed, flat-chested preteen" was going to be the universal, uncustomizable character model?

console ports are dogshit

/review

mogwaimon

Magister
Honestly I agree that the female character model is pretty terrible, though. Like, it's not even a taste thing, it's objectively anatomically fucked in the chest area.

Also apparently the presentation this morning was a repeat of yesterday's presentation for some reason so other than a bunch of play sessions with guests it looks like the info dump might be over for now. Well, unless you want footage of the same couple of fights repeated over and over, that is. https://www.player.one/gamescom-2019-preview-capcom-livestream-schedule-129193 They did do a neat video of Ryozo fighting the Brachydios though.

I'm a little disappointed with it, maybe it's just me misremembering MH3U or my brain having acclimated to Brachydios after all this time but the World version looks sort of slow and lethargic compared to the old one? Anyone else feel like that's the case?

Vorark

Erudite
I enjoy the game but it is a technical mess, be it on PCs or consoles. At times the sky goes white due to the excessive bloom or you miss out on details like the clouds or armor patterns 'cause there's way too much shine. Can't play it without taking extended breaks or I get severe eye strain for days.

Also RGB monster is the new disco Hitler
6QbvcpD.gif

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Feels bad that I'll never be able to fight Ceadeus again. The new RBG monster being the water monster kills the possibility of this "water god" being the whale.
They could have even had you fight him while on a boat, similar to Jhen fights. It still looks like there aren't any really giant elder dragons in world like the previous games.

sullynathan

Arcane
I enjoy the game but it is a technical mess, be it on PCs or consoles. At times the sky goes white due to the excessive bloom or you miss out on details like the clouds or armor patterns 'cause there's way too much shine. Can't play it without taking extended breaks or I get severe eye strain for days.

Also RGB monster is the new disco Hitler
6QbvcpD.gif
Playing monster hunter for graphics, wow
I said the bloom gave me a headache so that I couldn't play it at all.

The rest were gripes.

Performance was also shit.

Must be playing on pc because it never happened to me playing on PS4 Pro and the game runs at ~40 fps which is enough

I'm a little disappointed with it, maybe it's just me misremembering MH3U or my brain having acclimated to Brachydios after all this time but the World version looks sort of slow and lethargic compared to the old one? Anyone else feel like that's the case?

The Iceborne version of Brachydios looks fine to me. In fact, they seem to be responding to the general criticism of World's sloth-like malaise by giving Iceborne's monsters improved mobility. There's still some observed examples of returning monsters that appear to be a bit slower from the previous generation (e.g. regular Glavenus and Nargacuga tail attacks), but overall the gameplay we've seen is acceptably faster and more challenging than the base game. Brachydios even gained a new running pivot punch, letting it reposition itself more efficiently, along with the large slime piles borrowing the mud mechanic. And the exploitable 360 tail spin was traded for the quicker double tail whip that Anjanath uses. The only thing that seemed to be missing was the large aoe explosion, when it buries its head into the ground while enraged, but the long range explosion was retained.

Full Velkhana hunt below for anyone interested:

As usual, the Handler is fucking annoying with all of the tutorial blabber. It's too bad that she was kept as an integral part of the story (assuming cutscenes still can't be skipped).

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
You have to remember that until Iceborne, Monster Hunter World has been half of a game. The games never get genuinely challenging until G rank, so I would expect it to be easy up until now. The monsters are supposed to get faster in G rank.

And the dubbed VA seems to sound worse and worse every time I hear it. Don't play with anything but Japanese VA.

mogwaimon

Magister
I watched a video of someone else doing the high rank Brachy hunts from 3U and yea, you're right about his speed. It's a little faster, but not by much. I might have been thinking more of Zinogre, you know, like that 4-5 punch slam combo you have to use i-frames to dodge? It was more Brachy's AoE that got me once he was in rage mode now that I recall. Still, that was high rank. I must confess I never did make it to G-rank in previous MH games though in this case it was indeed for a lack of trying. If this is G rank Brachy, it doesn't look 'that' much different from high rank Brachy.

Of course I talk a big game but I'll probably 3-cart first time fighting him when Iceborne hits.

Perkel

Arcane
Imho main improvement in MHW is that all moves are not telegraphed by two step angle move. They can follow you pretty great. MHW issue though is that they were generally slow for player movement improvements.

But i guess this was actually what they were aiming at considering it was supposed to be first MH game for new people joining in.

I expect G to be similar def to previous G ranks.

Perkel

Arcane
well i hope it is completely reworked. yian animations were always the clunkiest

Explorerbc

Arcane
Does this game have a story or do you just get random quests to kill stuff/ get points

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom