Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Interesting question. Why do you care? The enemies in Desperados couldn't do anything the PCs could do except see, walk and shoot guns.

Well, because otherwise Moreaus magic could be too strong and maybe they could make an interesting enemy-type? For example: I enjoyed taking down Samurais in Shadow Tactics without Mugen. It gave me the feeling to have really accomplished something. And if you introduce something like that, you can at least be consequential about that. And they said in the interviews yesterday, that there will be different enemy types.

Lemming42

Arcane
On that topic, has any of the pre-release material so far indicated whether or not there's going to be Straw Hat or Samurai equivalents in this game? I actually hated that system and I really hope there's not some kind of Big Cowboy enemy type that shrugs off Cooper's knife being thrown into its face.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They just had to go and add diversity, and they couldn't even make her good looking, just to add insult to injury.

Can't wait for all the YASS QUEEN SLAY bullshit that will be coming out of her mouth, or the endless whining about slavery.

Lemming42

Arcane
Nah, that's impossible. No way would a game set in 19th Century America ever touch on slavery, one of the biggest issues of the day. And there's no way the developers might hold the crazy fringe opinion that slavery is bad.

What's the world coming to. I bet games set during the Second World War will be criticising Nazi Germany next.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The game is being developed with consoles in mind, the gameplay above shows that everything is being dumbed down so that using a controller/gamepad won't be less comfortable than keyboard + mouse (for the consoles the sniper crosshair is locked on target which makes killing very easy). That alone is a huge drawback. Guns have a vision cone now because it's so hard to know where the bullets might fly. The swearing has been added because we all know that adult games must have swearing to be taken seriously. In fact the whole game has been made much more vulgar, e.g. heroine spits in the guys face but what's funnier he does nothing after she did that. WTF?

Isabelle's powers are so retarded that I don't even want to comment on them but what strikes me is that the moment the guy wanted to open the cage he got shot. That's just stupid. Maybe he just wanted to rape her, haven't they though about that? In all seriousness though, that very scene only shows how retarded AI is. Even though they shot their comrade they're looking for a perpetrator not acknowledging the fact they've just killed their own comrade who went ape shit. There's also the fact that they haven't checked what their prisoner had on her and allowed them to have poison darts. Pathetic. Same goes for killing a guy with a bunch of boxes and no one batting an eye after the "accident" happened.

It's also funny that that RPS retard says balloons were daft but he doesn't call Isabelle's abilities that or that big guy's who is using a humongous trap that would make a huge sound and mess, alerting everyone in the area. Also the weight of such thing would be enormous and even the strongest guy would have problems carrying it all the time. The same goes for puddles of blood that appear after every kill. The blue area where the gunshot can be heard is also very inaccurate, in such place and at higher ground the area would be much much bigger (although I can live with that, it's one of the less stupid new things). The quick action mode has also been dumbed down and now you can stop time which is a huge decline. It's not a turn based game and has no TB depth so stopping time makes it way too easy. BTW, that RPS retard hasn't played Desperados and knew about quick action only thanks to Shadow Tactics. Pathetic.
Interesting question. Why do you care? The enemies in Desperados couldn't do anything the PCs could do except see, walk and shoot guns.
Fake news you shill, they could also KO you or put a knife in you. Anyway, why are you mentioning Desperados in this context? I thought the point of this game was to improve on the original game and not dumb it down.
Let's none of us pretend that Desperados was some kind of gritty ultra realistic game. Anyone who thought they were going to 1:1 nail the snake in a sack, magically inflating pig's bladder knockout gas balloon vector, peanut monkey dancing setting of the original was being more fabulously optimistic than usual.
It was still way more realistic than that piece of popamole. I've commented on the balloons here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...hadow-tactics-devs.123475/page-3#post-5757766
but tl;dr version is they weren't stupid because they actually added more depth to the tactical part of the game and they weren't OP. You had to take into account wind direction and range, here however abilities became retarded. Monkey wasn't stupid at all and as for the snake, it's still way better than humongous bear trap plus it had the ability to scare horses off while bear trap is for killing only. I also bet that it won't work on horses even though it's huge AF.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, because otherwise Moreaus magic could be too strong and maybe they could make an interesting enemy-type? For example: I enjoyed taking down Samurais in Shadow Tactics without Mugen. It gave me the feeling to have really accomplished something. And if you introduce something like that, you can at least be consequential about that. And they said in the interviews yesterday, that there will be different enemy types.
I see no reason to think Moreau will be some kind of unstoppable steamroller. Shadow Tactics certainly didn't have any, despite the various cool powers.

I just think it would be dull to give PC abilities to the enemies. You can make NPCs hard to kill without duplicating ideas and without taking away the PCs' uniqueness.

I am certainly looking forward to checking out the different enemy types. Unlike Lemming42, I'm delighted for enemies to have different powers and immunities. I do wish enemies could be unique also though instead of just having 3 or 4 "types". For example I loved that certain guys resisted Kate's seduction, or wouldn't be distracted by a monkey etc. in the original Desperados, but you couldn't tell who until you tried.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't mind different enemy types, I just really didn't enjoy the Samurai takedown challenges Shadow Tactics would set up on virtually every level. It felt like there was usually one specific way to take down each Samurai and, given that Samurai can't be moved from their location by any distraction other than actually seeing a party member and running after them, it was usually a finicky timing challenge in getting one team member to stun him while an accomplice lands the killing blow.

Same goes for Straw Hats, but to a lesser extent. Your party has a huge aresnal of interesting tools, but the game starts putting Straw Hats over most of the map, so most of those tools are rendered useless and it turns into more timing challenges based around quickly killing and hiding people.

In Desperados, since you could be sure your distractions would work on at least some members of an enemy group, the game allowed for more careful planning and bigger payoffs with the snake, scarecrow, Kate's legs, the shit monkey etc. Throwing dynamite or dumping a corpse to get everyone to rush over together so you could throw a gas balloon at them and get them all in one hit might have been unbalanced and dumb, but it was a huge part of the fun for me. Same for leaving the rattlesnake at the top of a ladder and wiping out literally 30+ people without ever moving.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lemming42 That's fair. Shadow Tactics is certainly more of a game and less of a toy box than Desperados. Personally, after the 3rd or 4th time I cleared a map by dropping the snake and randomly firing my guns to bring guys running, I stopped doing it. But there is a great time to be had with "I'm going to get past those guys using only the scarecrow and the mirror" and then figuring out a way to do it after 99 failures.

It's overstating the case to say that samurai usually only have one exact way to kill them, but agree that Shadow Tactics does demand a serious level of focus and no fooling around.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
and now you can stop time which is a huge decline.
Not on hard mode. :M
I know and judging by what the guy said you can turn it off in the option even at lower difficulties but it's still a huge decline. They are trying to cater to retarded gamers who otherwise would never play a game like this and next thing you know the next game will be even more dumbed down because the sales were better than for Shadow Tactics. It's a slippery slope.

HansDampf

Arcane
Like the recent trend of difficulty sliders and assist modes, it feels like a lame excuse. You don't have to use those features. But we all know reviewers won't be able to finish the game without it, many players will fall for the temptation, it will be the de facto normal mode, and ultimately dilutes the game.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Like the recent trend of difficulty sliders and assist modes, it feels like a lame excuse. You don't have to use those features. But we all know reviewers won't be able to finish the game without it, many players will fall for the temptation, it will be the de facto normal mode, and ultimately dilutes the game.
And that's ignoring the fact the game is likely built around having those features activated, like all those games with quest compasses the developers assure us can be turned off, only that the game expects you to have the quest compass active since no other way to effectively navigate the gameworld or find your next objective.

Love

Cipher
Will the priest or the psychologist be introduced in an addon? The priest can turn water into the wine and make whole battalions drunk, but the psychoanalyst makes the enemies throw away their weapons because they're phallus symbols.

freud02.jpg

Zombra

Patron
Mailing list excerpt:

Mimimi said:
What an amazing gamescom for Mimimi Games. The first surprise was winning the Gamescom Award for Best Strategy Game. The whole crew was very proud and honored, we really didn´t expect that. Next we had a great time introducing Isabelle to the world. We love her and her skillset, but we still had some doubts on how the public will react to some kind of magic in the world of Desperados.
0855f194-58c2-4e34-bca2-19d606617946.jpg
But most people loved it. And as soon as you will play her, you´ll love her too.
Also some talk about release date, but nothing you people would want to hear about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://wccftech.com/desperados-iii-gamescom-2019-preview/

Desperados III Preview – Into the Wild Wild West

One thing I made clear last year, during my Gamescom coverage of Desperados III, is that I genuinely trust Mimimi Productions to make a great tactical game. Why? Because of the outstanding result from their development of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and also what l was able to see during the preview of Desperados III last year.

When it was time to come around and book in appointments for Gamescom this year, my very first booking of the whole event was with Desperados III. What I looked at as “A Shadow Tactics spaghetti western, with a dash of Hitman” last year has been expanded on and given a sprinkle of the mystical.

So, before going into the new showing off gameplay of Desperados III, I want to talk a bit about what else I found out and saw. Last year I was told that there will be between ten to fifteen levels within the final release of the game. That’s been expanded upon, or those original plans weren’t exactly solidified. What I saw was sixteen different levels on the main menu of the game and when I asked, I was told that it would be sixteen to start with. This seemingly confirms that there are plans for future DLC levels.

This works for me because the game looks good. The quality of terrain, the character models, everything has seen some improvement. Much like in Shadow tactics too, where footprints would show up in the snow, this will see you leaving footprints in both mud and sand. You’ll want to be careful on the movements you take, though naturally in a game like this you can use that to your advantage.

In fact, there’s a lot to use to your advantage, including an improved user-interface. When it comes to guard posts, you can actually see how many guards are positioned in there and will pop out if the alarm is raised, also highlighting the range of their alarm area. Very useful information to know to say the least. Other changes that have been made include the ability to pause the game, letting you plan and link actions together in a way that was somewhat reminiscent of Jagged Alliance.

All of this works because from what I was shown, a large number of levels – particularly those later on – are very open, allowing for multiple ways to approach and tackle them. Mimimi have gone for an almost sandbox-like approachability within the game. This is most noticeable when you’re using Isabel, the new character I finally got to see in action during the preview. Also, one thing to mention before I talk about the combat is that you will also have a number of customisable difficulty options, adjusting everything from your ammo and health to how far you can actually see.

So, Isabel has powers. She’s the way that Desperado III has gone a little mystical and where the ability to pause really comes into great effect. I was shown some of her powers, such as the ability to mind control an enemy or – should you want to – a chicken. Yes, you heard me, you can mind control a chicken. Another ability of Isabel’s is linking characters together, so what happens to one character, happens to another. It’s inventive and really works with the sandbox nature Mimimi are going for.

For example, you could link two enemies together and then distract one of them, which also distracts the other. That, or link them together and then sneak up with another character, slitting the poor bugger’s throat. The other person will also die, completely unaware of what magical force has done them in! The options are limitless, though my favourite option shown was to simply mind control one enemy, have him control a Gatling gun and mow down everybody, mercilessly.

While the demo focused primarily on Isabel, I did get a look at the other four characters. From Doc McCoy, an incredibly proficient sniper; Hector, a bear of a man with a big bear-trap; Cooper himself, with his six-shooter at his side and also… somebody else, who I can’t remember the name of, but I’m sure they were a stealth-based character. Probably not the most ideal thing to say, but this was more to show off Isabel!

From what I’ve seen, I am looking forward to Desperados III. Mimimi have given enough cause to have faith in their abilities to make a strong tactical game. This seems to be a shared opinion because Desperados III was labelled the best strategy game of Gamescom. Releasing later this year on the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, it’s certainly something to look forward to. The one downside is, when I asked, there are no current plans to release it on the Nintendo Switch.

Zombra

Patron
I don't know about that previewer. Forgot Kate! but did appropriately focus on mind controlling a chicken. Let's call it a draw.

Krzysiek

Learned
Delayed to the next financial year (April 2020 - March 2021).
https://news.cision.com/embracer-gr...mber-2019--operational-ebit-increase,c2961153
Looking ahead to the next financial year ending March 2021 we expect at least two AAA titles. But it’s not only about AAA, during the next financial year we expect several amazing products such as Desperados 3, Destroy All Humans, Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated, Wasteland 3, Iron Harvest amongst many many others.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
More time to rethink having a witch character is always good.

Seriously, couldn't they just do a cool spaghetti western homage again? Why do they have to stray so far from the first game?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
More time to rethink having a witch character is always good.

Seriously, couldn't they just do a cool spaghetti western homage again? Why do they have to stray so far from the first game?

Even more time to add voodoo and witch doctors, sorcerer gunslingers. This is just waaay interesting than classic spaghetti western.

Zombra

Patron
Did you see the demo/beta? It's very much like the first game in setting and tone. And stop pretending that the first game didn't stray at all from spaghetti western boilerplate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom