Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I said fuck it and spent the night in retail. It's now 4 am and there's a 5k queue on gehennas (80 mins). What the actual fuck?

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Good thing they have layering so there won't be any queues or "problems" in the starting zones. To think they started with 2 PvP realms for EU initially..

Hopefully shit's playable when I get off work.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I said fuck it and spent the night in retail. It's now 4 am and there's a 5k queue on gehennas (80 mins). What the actual fuck?
I've been in the queue for Whitemane since 5:30PM my time and I'm still at 11k so consider yourself lucky.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Managed to get a few hours in to hit 11.

Some people are seriously professional at this shit. There are people that do nothing but talk in general for hours on end and yet they manage to outlevel people. Here I am trying to channel some sort of Asian spirit and always lagging behind. I'm also too soft these days, I intentionally let people tag mobs I know they're looking for or take mining nodes. I used to be such a dickhead in these games and now I'm just the daddy that wants the kids to have fun.

Well fuck that. The Defias Traitor is mine. ALL MINE.

Unless you show up first, then I guess you can tag him.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Good thing they have layering so there won't be any queues or "problems" in the starting zones. To think they started with 2 PvP realms for EU initially..

Hopefully shit's playable when I get off work.
Give it a week or two to stabilize. Anyone getting in on this on launch is just looking to be miserable.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Yeah, about that.

1566886876820.jpg

It's just initial pains as everyone wants that first taste so you get congested population for quests/mobs that are tricky in general. It'll clear out once people start leaving starting zones at different pace.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It was obvious this would happen. Imagine if they didn't implement layering, you wouldn't be able to see the ground.

Ninjerk

Arcane
No queue on EU-Noggenfogger. Practicing speed atm :D

EDIT: And stealth-playing at work

Lacrymas

Arcane
They didn't need layering at all, just more servers. They launched the game once and still didn't learn from that.
They know people are going to leave and they'll have to merge servers. Layering is by far the more elegant solution.

RapineDel

Augur
Yeah, I can't stand Blizzard at times but the population issue was always going to be a no win situation.

More servers and it'll kill it for the genuine long terms players later on when populations are sparse and you struggle to find groups. Layering isn't a great look for PR but it's the only practical solution and the technology is there.

The only other option would've been to put Classic on a separate sub but that was never happening. At the end of the day they want to lure classic players to retail eventually and get them spending money on the store.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If their intention is to lure people to play retail, they are doomed from the start. It's not gonna happen, at most it will become like Oldschool Runescape, the old one overshadowing retail. This is a good thing, though, and it might force Blizz to either revert years of stupid, stupid design decisions for retail or somehow support vanilla and beyond. We'll see if the general population can take vanilla's ...oddities. The third option is WoW's going to continue to sink for a variety of reasons, the main one being their refusal to buff dungeons and raids to compensate for 1.12 balancing and people will get bored with how easy it is. I can't believe how short-sighted they are on this issue, they are almost intentionally shooting themselves in the foot.

Jeru

Novice
Layering is not an answer either since many people hate layering and will either don't play or will drop out of game earlier because of layering.

All this discussions that are taking place were already taking place a decade ago in almosta all AAA MMORPGs (not just WoW). It is like watching exactly same thing repeating itself. Funny stuff.

Codex Year of the Donut
Layering is not an answer either since many people hate layering and will either don't play or will drop out of game earlier because of layering.

All this discussions that are taking place were already taking place a decade ago in almosta all AAA MMORPGs (not just WoW). It is like watching exactly same thing repeating itself. Funny stuff.
Layering is a temporary solution they'll disable in a few weeks you brainlet

bloodlover

Arcane
Yeah... I think I will wait a couple of weeks. Maybe things will calm down a bit by then

RapineDel

Augur

There is no one who was genuinely excited for Classic who is refusing to play because of layering, let's be honest.

People might be annoyed and no it's not authentic, but it's not a genuine game breaker for anyone who's not a serial complainer.

As mentioned they've confirmed it will be removed once the servers stabilize so who cares.

Ninjerk

Arcane
More than a couple people are waiting many multiple hours in those queues.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I waited last night for almost 5 hours only to play a grand total of 45 minutes. I was then booted and sent back to a 17,000+ queue.

It was worth it though. Even though the queue sucked, I passed the time drinking and talking to friends on discord. Once I got in, I just wandered Elwynn Forest and got excited over a 5 slot pouch drop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom