Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Here's a question for you, is a melee sword parry/riposte build viable? Would it need stealth, dodge/evasion, or heavy armor?

I know a lot about this game, but swords and shotguns are a major hole in my knowledge, because I've never used them.

I'll say this, though: A weapon whose core mechanic closely resembles the experience of playing a slot machine makes my penis want to retract into my body like the head of a frightened turtle. It's entirely possible to miss 2-3x in a row or more with a 95% THC, which I should note is well within the bounds of normal RNG clustering. Given the sword mechanics, it seems to me you'd have a similar experience every time you hit that 5% miss chance, rather than only during unlucky streaks of several misses in a row as is common for most other builds.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's a question for you, is a melee sword parry/riposte build viable? Would it need stealth, dodge/evasion, or heavy armor?
It is viable and you would use Heavy Armor for sure. Nerd Commando did a video on it where he used Temporal Manipulation as well to compliment things.

Blackmill

Scholar

Yes, it very much is. That said, you may need to rely more on daggers and spears for the early- and mid-game.

Light armor is (or rather, becomes) much better. The advantage you have with a swords build is you can easily kill an enemy with just 10 AP which is insanely efficient. It means you can kill a ton of enemies each turn -- but only if you have sufficient movement points.

I cruised through a Dominating playthrough using light armor, stealth, and swords with some knives mixed in.

Damianus_NT

Novice
Underrail has beautiful pixel art and stylish interface, if you can't recognize that - you are retarded.
When I tried to recommend Underrail to some of my friends from the other forum (RPG veterans) it was mostly graphics that turned them off.
It's kinda interesting, because I remember my first impression also oscilating between neutral and bad... but then, when I started actually playing the game, I began to appreciate the visuals more and more. Overall, I do enjoy how the game looks and sounds. An expanded interface functionality (marking items as favourite, better crafting window) and some new sound samples for certain enemies would not hurt though.

I want to ask a lore question. The common opinion here seems to be, that wiping out the natives is (morally) the right thing to do. What are the arguments for doing so? I remember some of their backstory but maybe I'm missing some details? Trying to roleplay as "neutral-good" mercenary, one has to think about the fact that, while not shown in the game, there have to be some children amongst the natives' population. I need some motivation to dominate them all.

After a small break, it's time to finally finish the expansion and the whole game. Can't wait to try PSI and melee builds.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Trying to roleplay as "neutral-good" mercenary, one has to think about the fact that, while not shown in the game, there have to be some children amongst the natives' population. I need some motivation to dominate them all.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with purging the children of the unclean. After all, they're destined to grow up to be unclean themselves.

1 Samuel 15 said:
15 Samuel also said unto Saul, The Lord sent me to anoint thee to be king over His people, over Israel: now therefore hearken thou unto the voice of the words of the Lord.

2 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.

3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

hell bovine

Arcane
I mean, I think 9 CON on a psi-nuker while foregoing CON related feats wasn't super optimal, and I think taking Paranoia at this stage is not optimal at all. But I'm not saying your build is total garbage, you say you're having fun & doing fine in most fights so there's no problem.
Well, 9 con with psychosis looks like the classic survival instincts build, in which case you can forego con feats, because you are running around under 30% health anyway. But that's not a build I'd do without stealth.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to have another go at a throwing build, but can someone tell me, does Spear Throw's damage depend on your melee skill?

Trash Player

Scholar
That's how Underrail plays for me. Since every single enemy (more or less) is capable of burning me down from full health to dead in a single turn, I have to win initiative in every fight and make sure every enemy is dead or otherwise unable to attack me every round. Okay. It's certainly doable, but I wouldn't call that "easy" by any definition of difficulty.
That's why with squishy characters like psions people tend to go the sneaky route: if you initiate combat from stealth, you go first. The other two solutions are: high con tin can (doesn't matter if you go last) and high initiative (when testing guns with Patsy I gave her gunslinger, paranoia and trigger happy - she had 40+ to initiative and that was on a low level character).

My character is high Con (9) but that 25% health hit sucks. I also have enough agility to take Sprint but only 3 dex. I'm planning to take paranoia next level (16) to see if that helps, I don't have the stats for trigger happy and gunslinger seems like a waste of points.

(as an aside I'd note in 3.5E D&D Improved Initiative feat has no pre reqs. Why would you limit initiative feats only to high dex characters who are the least likely to actually need them?)

What's your build generally? You want to focus, so that your strengths are laser sharp to take down the enemy before they get a turn to wreck shit. Underrail's about alpha strikes, disables and gaining control of the battlefield, rather than maintaining equilibrium for a drawn out match. If you've put 9 in CON then face tanking is what you should develop. You want Paranoia for the +5 initiative? When you have 3 DEX? What's the point? That's like giving yourself 10 extra HP when you have 3 CON.

5 initiative would help win initiative contests. My base value of 14 is evenly matched with common enemies, so a 50/50 dice roll would change to a 75/25 dice roll, which isn't bad. Cut down on a few reloads. That and the detection should help with the stupid mines everywhere. Either that or crafting feats at this point.

my stats are like str 3 dex 3 agi 6 con 9 per 3 int 7 wil 12. Psychosis/Mania/Premeditation/Locus of Control. Metathermics/Thought control/Kinetics(whatever) maxed, points spread to lockpicking/hacking/persuasion and crafting skills as needed. I have 25 in pickpocket and mercantile I would really like to have put in stealth, but oh well. 0 in all weapons and dodge/evasion.

As long as I go first I usually win the fight, assuming I can see all enemies and they are close enough together. I don't have cryo ball yet but I think that will help. Usually my fireball is not quite strong enough to kill everyone. My armor blocks about 50 points of bullet damage and most enemies have little trouble punching through that but I can at least survive for a few rounds, if someone hits melee range or has a crossbow I am toast.

I'm using PSI beetle regen vest w/ kevlar, universal PSI headband with crit damage boost, and some shield I looted. Plan to build a better shield soon now that I'm seeing the parts in shops.
It seems you are not having any troubles progressing but appreciating the very offence/pre-planning based gameplay. A valid point, that kinda makes every character samey and F9 happy. Or DR stacking, which is another can of worms. Your build also looks like one half of THE BUILD but missing the parts that make it work, namely stealth and SI. It's just an optimised version of yours though, so wouldn't actually change too much of your experiences, hence opinion.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I think every ending can be count as good, as long as Todd isn't decided to change surname on Howard and became producer at Bethesda Softworks. Otherwise world of Underrail, fucked for real, this time.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I mean, I think 9 CON on a psi-nuker while foregoing CON related feats wasn't super optimal, and I think taking Paranoia at this stage is not optimal at all. But I'm not saying your build is total garbage, you say you're having fun & doing fine in most fights so there's no problem.
Well, 9 con with psychosis looks like the classic survival instincts build, in which case you can forego con feats, because you are running around under 30% health anyway. But that's not a build I'd do without stealth.

Yeah survival instincts looked scary, I'm already squishy enough as it is and 30% crit is nice but it's not 100% so it's always a gamble (unless you can push it up north of 80-90%). But it's still an option as is pumping stealth for a few levels and crafting black cloth armor. Hmm.

How does Last Stand work? Combine that with the Hp instead of PSI point feat could be interesting.

Parabalus

Arcane
It is viable and you would use Heavy Armor for sure. Nerd Commando did a video on it where he used Temporal Manipulation as well to compliment things.

That's the build I have on my DOMINATING sword guy.

I use rathound leather for the crit, without dodge/evasion. Parry/riposte are pretty bad, to make them serviceable you basically need the pirate leader's sword in the offhand. They would be better on lower difficulties for sure though.

If you run heavy armor you don't have much need for parry/riposte, just skip them, much better feats around, similarly if you have Uncanny.

TM is just OP and should be used regardless of build tbh.

Yeah survival instincts looked scary, I'm already squishy enough as it is and 30% crit is nice but it's not 100% so it's always a gamble (unless you can push it up north of 80-90%). But it's still an option as is pumping stealth for a few levels and crafting black cloth armor. Hmm.

How does Last Stand work? Combine that with the Hp instead of PSI point feat could be interesting.

I ran the SI build recently, and it's basically an early game help. Once you get to Expedition you'll run around with 100% because you have enough damage and there are annoying enemies who bypass shield/armor. And you'll really want a regen vest for convenience.

Last Stand and Hemopsychosis are great. They're even better with TM since you can do various combos with self-Stasis and LTI spam, it's extremely hard to run out of PSI this way.

Goromorg

Savant

I'm playing this build right now http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgM...EH2bCh8KIwrd6woriorUC4quGBeKsggHirIMC4rGgBd-_
It's very fun and safe actually - you wander around in stealth with full hp. When big fight is about to start - you equip your anti-rifle kevlar overcoat, turn on your 2k capacity shield emitter, take your combat drugs, activate hemopsychosis - and drop your health below 30%.
Now you have 15% resistance from all damage from aegis, around 20% resistance from stoicism, 15% against mech/cold/fire from conditioning - for the case when some unlucky crit gets through your defence layers.
And if somehow you're about to die - there is morphine shot+last stand combo.

Parabalus

Arcane

I'm playing this build right now http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgM...EH2bCh8KIwrd6woriorUC4quGBeKsggHirIMC4rGgBd-_
It's very fun and safe actually - you wander around in stealth with full hp. When big fight is about to start - you equip your anti-rifle kevlar overcoat, turn on your 2k capacity shield emitter, take your combat drugs, activate hemopsychosis - and drop your health below 30%.
Now you have 15% resistance from all damage from aegis, around 20% resistance from stoicism, 15% against mech/cold/fire from conditioning - for the case when some unlucky crit gets through your defence layers.

This is pretty much the build, you get every RP option and it is one of the strongest combat builds.

Only thing I'd personally change is Mantra for Advanced Psi Empathy, because of the way reductions stack it gets ridiculous. But that's very minor in such a powerful build.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
>Be me, playing Underrail
>Land on Join Security Headquarters beach, get instagibbed by plasma turret
>Reload, turn on shield, kill plasma turrets
>Enter facility, it makes me take off all my gear, which it stashes somewhere else
>Cool, it's like that time in BG2. Well I guess I'll get it back soon or there'll be some easier than usual fights first.
>walk round corner, instagibbed by plasma turret, reload
>walk round other corner, 6 statues kill me, reload
>manage to get into next area just after camera alerts statues
>kill two statues with electrical psionics, open another gate, kill some spiders by opening and closing a door on the same turn with a Premeditation fireball in between
>open door, see no more spiders,step out, still no spiders
>try to end combat, can't
>oh well, there must be a spider that run a long way while it was scared from the fire
>end my turn and a spider hiding next to the door kills me
>reload and let the statues kill the spiders this time before I kill the statues
>go up the stairs to the halfbroken console in the storage room, press all the buttons, walk down stairs
>die to 10 spiders, reload, only open one room, cast thought control buffs and fire halo and kill all the spiders
>find random garbage in the storage room anyway
>open the storage room that lets you progress further, after reloading each time I see spiders on the surveillance monitors
>head back into the first room using this new passage
>can't use the Security Console because there's 8 statues glaring at me angrily from the other side of a glass window
>oh well, I'll find something eventually, continue through a hole in the wall
>camera doesn't like me, this doesn't bode well
V7cWE7G.png

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Wew lad, that is some top-tier min-maxing.

It's the type of build Parabalus regards as fairly normal and standard, which (coupled with complete meta knowledge of the game) is why he erroneously believes that Normal is too easy.

Goromorg

Savant
Only thing I'd personally change is Mantra for Advanced Psi Empathy, because of the way reductions stack it gets ridiculous. But that's very minor in such a powerful build.
Do you mean psi cost reductions? AFAIK they stack multiplicatively, i.e. you have psychosis (1.20 multiplier), psi beetle soup (0.85 multiplier) and muffled headband (e.g. 0.8 multiplier).
Resulting psi cost will be 1,2*0,85*0,8*100=81,6%

Parabalus

Arcane

Wew lad, that is some top-tier min-maxing.

It's the type of build Parabalus regards as fairly normal and standard, which (coupled with complete meta knowledge of the game) is why he erroneously believes that Normal is too easy.

There's not much need to min-max with a PSI build, it plays itself. That build can lose stealth and still faceroll DOMINATING.

Do you mean psi cost reductions? AFAIK they stack multiplicatively, i.e. you have psychosis (1.20 multiplier), psi beetle soup (0.85 multiplier) and muffled headband (e.g. 0.8 multiplier).
Resulting psi cost will be 1,2*0,85*0,8*100=81,6%

There's also PSI beetle carapace armor, muffled headbands go to 0.6-0.7 and the wizard staff which is another 15%.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
There's not much need to min-max with a PSI build, it plays itself. That build can lose stealth and still faceroll DOMINATING.

Yeah, because the base attributes are a slot machine of 3s (the minimum, key word here) while Will is very nearly to the engine maximum. As for skills, damage skills are pumped to the max, while most others are strategically nudged to key useful plateaus that require meta-knowledge to game in such a way.

The fact that you apparently have trouble seeing min-maxing for what it is when it's as literal and obvious as it can be only proves my point.

Anyway, I personally don't care that the game ALLOWS for min-maxing; most cRPGs that offer substantial build freedom do. I only wish that Styg wouldn't balance the game in a fashion skewed toward min-maxing.

Goromorg

Savant
Normal is definately not easy for a new player - protagonist can get wasted in 1 turn easily.
Personally I am playing on Normal - because the game is balanced around it.
I have played Dominating - and it's not super hard - just very tedious.

Parabalus

Arcane

Yeah, because the base attributes are more a slot machine of 3s (the minimum) while Will is very nearly to the engine maximum.

The fact that you apparently have trouble seein min-maxing for what it is when it's as literal and obvious as it can be only proves my point.

Anyway, I personally don't care that the game ALLOWS for min-maxing; most cRPGs that offer substantial build freedom do. I only wish that Styg wouldn't balance the game in a fashion skewed toward min-maxing.

Why would you not have 3s as a PSI build?

The 3s almost invite themselves upon reading what each attribute does. I think my first ever build was in UR was 3 4 6 4 10 3 10 as a psychosis wizard.

Other builds have a much harder time min-maxing, but for PSI it's really braindead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom