Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Beowulf

Arcane
EDIT: Space Hulk Deathwing

How does it compare to EYE?

Haven't played EYE in a long time, so take it with a grain of salt.
First - Space Hulk is the real WH40k, not the EYE's almost-Warhammer-but-not-quite
Second - since it's a licensed game, you have far fewer customisation options for your characters - a few perks and some weapon mods.

But the atmosphere is great - Streum On are good artists and it shows.
As with EYE - the game's replayability comes from MP, SP campaign is rather short and nothing to write home about.
Basically it's a decent horde shooter.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
I really can't decide if I like or dislike that filter you're using. I assume you messed around with a bunch of them?

I've messed with a bunch but this is the only one I like. I could use less bloom, but overall it makes pixels less blocky without resorting to very artificial scanlines.

What's interesting is that if you downscale the image:

Sin-t-tulo.png

You get a very CRT-like image, with the artifacts completely obscured but the effect still remaining (softened image, look at how you aren't able to pinpoint pixels in "NEW MOON" for instance.

They certainly are nostalgia inducing!

It's a shame I can't run these filters on games outside of RetroArch. I would love to play Fallout or the Infinity Engine games like this. As it is, I had to play them in vanilla resolution, windowed mode, just to avoid ugly upscaling.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
JarlFrank It's Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for the Super Famicom, a remake of the first two Megami Tensei games for the Famicom. The game in the screenshots is Megami Tensei II.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's funny that a young (17?) punk like Sigourn can be more nostalgic than a relic of past like me. Or is it the search for the pure and original experience?

I'm 26, 27 in a couple of months.
I like shaders because I have a CRT and know that what I see in emulators isn't what I used to see on my TV. Shaders may not be perfect, but it's better than having the bare pixels.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's funny that a young (17?) punk like Sigourn can be more nostalgic than a relic of past like me. Or is it the search for the pure and original experience?

I'm 26, 27 in a couple of months.
I like shaders because I have a CRT and know that what I see in emulators isn't what I used to see on my TV. Shaders may not be perfect, but it's better than having the bare pixels.

What filter are you using in retroarch?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What filter are you using in retroarch?

CRT-Royale

The most annoying thing about it is the bloom when it comes to white text. Other than that it's just a matter of getting used to it. I like it because it keeps the image sharp compared to other filters, and paradoxically CRTs have very sharp images in spite of "blurring out" pixels.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Hearkenwold (the screenshots are from the part in the Halls of Hamhock).

Few games feel as much as a true D&D campaign as this game, the world buliding and writing are top notch.
Ln8DOo7.jpg
2g2LwnW.jpg
eMqBIF7.jpg
mGmfdNk.jpg
a8B50Te.jpg
6IT1sRH.jpg
lFRUvdZ.jpg
A13Y1uN.jpg
br8oAkS.jpg
cJPHywo.jpg
XwFaGBa.jpg
KYabA4o.jpg
OXdc0OP.jpg
uWPGxPA.jpg
6Sk0pF4.jpg
TxS9gXx.jpg
I9b2njd.jpg
vDMHFgL.jpg
nY8pyp7.jpg
cPWpBcH.jpg
zRlFDY7.jpg
JDOpQM4.jpg
3NtcVPU.jpg
Ijcdgvn.jpg
f2D7xB5.jpg
ViL2stM.jpg
RaAbUFD.jpg
QQbu6s0.jpg
ZWmoRbL.jpg
vgtiXf5.jpg
L7gjsgX.jpg
Is1wIRd.jpg
FWqj2eb.jpg
3DGqwj4.jpg
9KlkQyG.jpg
wpxh0ek.jpg
7daA5RO.jpg
qtdam9Z.jpg
Rey8igf.jpg
n8Jc6um.jpg
7ex5djS.jpg
CRF25Np.jpg
FeDgNfW.jpg
sA1JPtL.jpg
Yi1xgQX.jpg
zsI0YLF.jpg
qsN3csl.jpg
LaQLlEp.jpg
mEonkON.jpg
m6RwhXU.jpg
CHLjbrH.jpg
1Mcne5a.jpg
6kAn2Bo.jpg
84iO0RO.jpg
wpb30zx.jpg
xagcI0Y.jpg
fXRF7LK.jpg
8gjc5GA.jpg
AhHkex9.jpg
KDAk2Bd.jpg
itn4HcU.jpg
r1LO9aL.jpg
G64IQ6s.jpg
V9swdOf.jpg
c8Cfqfp.jpg
j1ArixE.jpg
lJ0aG9z.jpg
NkgdQHa.jpg
Ace8XwS.jpg
AbI8qb2.jpg
puBENHi.jpg
J0vo5D3.jpg
2i7prrQ.jpg
sO5nM0A.jpg
4bHgrID.jpg
PXxbe9i.jpg
RC7ltct.jpg
QE1Iabm.jpg
NHafZQp.jpg
D2svB6F.jpg
KzpVSPi.jpg
Y4srPyJ.jpg
kEK1vNd.jpg
QrHc4Ca.jpg
IeRSW0s.jpg
1DMQBwy.jpg

Brogue

This game is so great, every mechanism works perfectly, every type of enemy or item feels unique (expect for rare and powerful templates), consumables are useful and neither too sparse nor too abundant, a lot of situations can be tricky unlike games with trash mobs and boss fights and the learning curve is big from dying to goblin conjurers and ogres to manage to deal with krakens and liches.
MxlU5QK.png
xxJJ0HP.png
H7IyLiC.png
ePZMZH9.png
91KNUfl.png
8Fr54fI.png
5A40gyy.png
5Ebwty9.png
7h6UKhY.png
3aOYocq.png
GgpGly9.png
LrjG0p0.png
WoghBmS.png
JZXr0W5.png
EzjUbXu.png
Iupnozw.png
ZWATnHF.png
4EDNuc1.png
RWMXsDN.png
ebNDSFZ.png
eiE3ifl.png
qCFpnJE.png
pySh2vq.png
iKt4liK.png
JEbFLfY.png
hyAA20E.png
8l4vtXV.png
edXZK5i.png
OpeGGfI.png
dRn2jE1.png
0dMTnB8.png
TKf0hMJ.png
cEHqNSz.png
5aLaFpv.png
LtcUvJI.png
sGOZ3Uo.png
XoYVPKH.png
lczjVTz.png
Cvc2GF8.png
R3I2apL.png
fntQNPg.png
RaPc7mj.png
RXzQyb4.png
vtaaUq9.png
snMsVFM.png
CsRJ8qP.png
NAoAi8H.png
ltljD32.png
2r1mq82.png
9APKxtv.png
vwu0sBE.png
D0Y57v0.png
pjG1AwF.png
5zi5gqm.png
AsnvHZX.png
FqaCxox.png
P64lEU3.png
x3UsXvL.png
4pbRm82.png
gcHLfsa.png
rcupPFj.png
8NdrUs1.png
z2kxAJC.png
yDtQZXt.png
PeEVCEH.png
FynxRmt.png

Tangledeep

The game is pretty alright. The music is as good as the graphics. There is a decent amount of content (classes, skills, items and item properties, enemy types). I like the optional dungeons to upgrade items. Some side quests can be fun because of they can be failed. I'm not fan of the abundance and constant need of healing consumables, and item fever was never my favourite type of itemization, and if there are some different items and item properties I would not say it's remarkable either. I'm not particularly fan of monster template (a monster which summons pets is just like another monster which summons pet, its main type does not really matters anymore), that said you fight a lot of champions during the game and these fights are often fun, there are trash encounters but it could be worse. The game is easy, I don't think the game was ever intended to be replayed a lot, I would not say it's completely brain dead though', you need to use your abilities as well as the occasionnal scroll of teleportation to survive. There's a not very high level cap which makes grinding eventually useless (there are more small features discouraging grinding) which is cool. I think it's a no-brainer if you like rogue-likes and really care about production values, but even if you don't care I still think it's an OK game.
wIb0b9g.png
9JIaAn0.png
f1dhkI7.png
sPSseAO.png
aVV14ms.png
Kta4BUr.png
VVi5AHL.png
vLbYzoo.png
HxdsSjE.png
EiQo1dR.png
mFrpqC9.png
amGjJd6.png
moinHMa.png
81HBrQw.png
6gFrW2H.png
kPrAgfp.png
mVg2Vl5.png
lRtC1Ui.png
pFiukMO.png
79grEFG.png
8k2c2JA.png
r7mFDSa.png
uMc7qap.png
P824GbY.png
Zy6fR5G.png
rdzRTfR.png
pczDQXG.png
8W8iMMA.png

Metaphobia
hAWP88L.png
rSBWctW.png
QaVDADi.png
CCHtArh.png
ZV1s2Fy.png
fuoum5K.png
HpXjiPI.png
FOfYwWt.png
JkUzX5N.png
0DIoIfK.png
6DQrVZk.png
SrcZV3n.png
LR07Q7H.png
VfQp2R1.png
You really should not look further if you intend to play the game, the screenshots reveal the full story. The game is worth giving a try if you like dark investigation stories and don't care that much that the game is very linear (one puzzle after another), it's free by the way.
SUzDiUG.png
ytzd5PO.png
WAIjXSS.png
hzGDGpX.png
OAKXGOE.png
phh6b7F.png
5VLMyXA.png
eOx8QNJ.png
WVnXTqm.png
hwYrj1s.png
kbnAh9f.png
NZwY2ph.png
onXoWUT.png
K6NMX5U.png
STvE2z6.png
3WrCCqT.png
GR1seEW.png
5wgjgY0.png
XyFMyW4.png
rdPko4b.png
0qmWBks.png
VB4V0ea.png
yZVzedM.png
5m3CK95.png
BE1JEEV.png
8QFB0cv.png
tI0taWR.png
1DKTPUc.png
J6bMjzn.png
sj6rMlo.png
6QKqF9O.png
aT5H1sX.png
cTPlrRf.png
OyZ8Jpi.png
cDB8xDo.png
eshJzcg.png
bQ9uFSa.png
bT77T30.png
lk5tIQy.png
Py7lRna.png
8rcOwgA.png
yBisDIG.png
hq3jojr.png
UbBJgqL.png
zfZTtBu.png
6S5QcKb.png
7gUswqM.png

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
While I'm at board games, here's two more you haven't heard of:

Samurai Blades: On Deadly Ground
A26cHMt.jpg

Ij83wla.jpg

cNshLve.jpg

kIUtRdU.jpg

VVBdUDo.jpg

vsaBorO.jpg
Cry Havoc: Test of Faith
sqxVXyo.png

N4ryNMK.jpg

zy6L5Zs.jpg

ztKX6Ta.jpg

m6qS5Oz.jpg

V6yIWD6.jpg

LJ7gKgj.jpg

s7TOy7h.jpg
(both can be windowed - toggled with F4 - if the stretching bothers you)
Kqczwzz.png

eFtOqY4.png
Two adaptations of Cry Havoc board game and its expansion Samurai Blades. You can play against AI or a human opponent, and CH also lets you play online (but I have no idea if this mode works nowadays).

Both share several battle maps (with SB also having big maps being combinations of three normal ones, and a Castle map with more complex walls/obstacles), but available units are different - SB has Japanese-themed units (samurais, ninjas, monks) and more of them than in case of CH's European medieval army. Overall, there's just enough variety in them not to get boring too fast.

You create scenarios by placing units on one of available maps (no limits as to where they can be placed but you can set point cost limits for both sides). Units come in several categories and each one has several level tiers that affect their stats and point cost. There's no HP, hit units instead either lose some movement points on dodging, get wounded (lowered stats), stunned (temporarily can't act) or just die. Ranged units can't shoot through forest hexes and walls, and mounted units can't cross some hex types. Most units can move quite far so flanking is possible (although AI seems to only use it accidentally and prefers closest targets).

SB has each player's turn split into shooting-movement-shooting-melee phases, in that order (which makes archers quite powerful). CH modifies boardgame's rules and there's one shooting phase, movement phase (crossbowmen can't shoot and move in the same turn), melee phase, and a cool addition of defensive shot phase where each ranged unit targets a hex and if opponent's unit moves into it during his turn, it will provoke a free shot from the ranged unit (the AI uses it too).

Quality-wise, CH's units and UI look better; SB is more zoomed out and unit sprites are smaller, which makes it harder to tell them apart from each other and from some backgrounds. I prefer persistent dead bodies of SB though (it's nice to see all the casualties after the battle ends), which the author removed in CH "to improve visibility". CH also has useful hotkey additions and the AI seems a bit smarter in it. There are some basic sounds (step sounds for each hex move can get annoying) and music-wise it's some medieval prayer for CH and FF6's overworld theme for SB (lol).

As a side note, CH's maps consist of .BMP and .MAP files (SB's are hardcoded), and the latter is a plain text file so if someone would bother deciphering what the numbers in it mean, new maps could be created for it.

To make them compatible with modern OSes you have to use the conversion utility linked at the end of this article:
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753218-Troubleshooting-Legacy-GameMaker

Beowulf

Arcane
It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself.

D226042DAFB11ACE1E02BAC6FC7DC4337CA22E5F

2DF5BDF9915F4AA1442D66D62B028292929350BC
67E727E50894BB7A256A3212DDE1A26E1DF8CE42
8AC7DED3F2DD0FBC5F5DE8CFEE460E55741870A7
05849260EF71E397B5E7E54D4DAD0212907CF239
CBCD4F044D4FAFEA8A1B666DADAC4954960962F9

A pity this game suffered the usual Focus release cycle - released in a poor technical state, got bad reviews, rather ignored both by the players and journos alike.

But they managed to push fixes into grand patch and re-released it it as Enhanced Edition (good move, as a separate entry is reviewed separately).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some enemies of the Superhero League of Hoboken:
Is it any good?
I'm liking it a fair bit so far. Obviously it's no grognard's CRPG, but the RPG and adventure game elements go together well, and the humour works for me (love Steve Meretzky). Combat is simplistic, as is the top-down Ultima-style exploration, but it has some clever twists, like Tropical Oil Man's superpower "Increase Foe's Cholesterol" being a great damage dealer but having no effect on non-biological enemies, traversing water squares requiring the "Really Good at Treading Water" superpower which can be attained through consuming special items or learning it from a hidden-away trainer, single-use Power Pills that allow you to traverse hilly terrain but expire at the next rest, etc. It combines well with the "put-thing-on-other-thing" adventure game loop through which you complete quests and advance the story. Definitely worth a look if the concept/setting sounds appealing.

eXalted

Arcane
Looks like Timothy Duncan storyfaggotry. Sander's Folly? Great map despite the excessive verbiage.
Sander's Folly, yes. First time playing a fan-made scenario (been only playing the scenarios that come with Heroes III + HotA on Hard). Really impressed by some of the gimmicks used in there regardless of the limitations of the Heroes 3 editor. Do you recommend it as a first map for a "beginner" like me?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sander's Folly, yes. First time playing a fan-made scenario (been only playing the scenarios that come with Heroes III + HotA on Hard). Really impressed by some of the gimmicks used in there regardless of the limitations of the Heroes 3 editor. Do you recommend it as a first map for a "beginner" like me?

Difficulty wise it should not be a problem. But it will make most other maps seem like hack work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom