Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

L.A Noire for PC

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It can be a little frustrating having to "read" witnesses. They did amazing things with face capture technology, but still, I found myself often failing cases or missing things out because it's just so awkward trying to judge someone's honesty or accountability based solely on the way they're acting.

I wound up tapping out at about 10 hours, but I would say I mostly enjoyed it

Barbalos

Savant
I'm playing this game again, this time the Complete Edition which includes some additional DLC cases. It does become more difficult to read people, but you aren't always relying totally on simply reading them, if you pay close attention to the clues and dialogue beforehand you will often have an idea or concrete knowledge that they are lying about what they're saying. An aspect I find tricky is determining whether the clues I have actually prove that someone is lying when I know they are, or if I don't have a solid enough clue and must use doubt instead.

Some tips:
-You can back out of a Lie accusation with right click if you don't have the evidence you need (sometimes this is indicated by the target in what they say when you accuse them). It will go back to the Truth, Doubt, Lie screen at that point.
-Often if you accuse them of lying, you don't have to use your clues to prove your initial accusation, but instead to prove wrong what they respond with to your accusation (this one has tripped me up a few times).
-You can long press E on the car to have your partner drive to the next marked destination.
-The ominous music playing while investigating for clues will stop when all clues are found. The chimes that play when you can interact with a clue (as well as the magnifying glass icon) can be disabled in settings, as can the music. For the purposes of the music, the unrelated newspapers count as a clue, while a person you can interview does not count as a clue.
-The default mouse sensitivity settings were crazy for me and I had to reduce them a ton to make it reasonably controllable - it's fine when tweaked imo.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wish Rockstar would be ambitious enough to make another detective game like LA Noire, I don't even care that much about the time period it would be set in, as long as the tone and writing are as realistic (or "movie-realistic") as they were in LA Noire.

Barbalos

Savant
I wish Rockstar would be ambitious enough to make another detective game like LA Noire, I don't even care that much about the time period it would be set in, as long as the tone and writing are as realistic (or "movie-realistic") as they were in LA Noire.

To be honest I wish anyone would make an investigation, story-heavy game with some action like this. I can't think of any other game I've ever played that is very similar to L.A. Noire, and it's one of my favourites. If Rockstar would do it as a sequel or similar idea, that would be awesome as well. I really like the historical fiction aspect of this game, how there are real people like Mickey Cohen in the game, how Los Angeles is modeled how it was at that time period, etc. Though unfortunately I heard this game went through development hell and cost a mountain of money to make, and I have no idea if it did well enough to balance that in the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom