Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Dawn of War tournament - SEASON 2 NOW OVER

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Game 1
Shaky start for the Sisters Seraphim, but eventually they shook off the awkwardness and kited their way to victory. Popiel sticking to Seraphim to victory while Snorkack has no answer. Necron Warrior Mass did not work. 1 - 0 to Popiel

I can't fault the Necrons for this defeat. It's not an easy thing to come up with a response immediately. To stop this plan, veteran necron player Astroslav recommends a more defensive play with multiple turrets while teching up.

Massing Necron Warriors with Lord on the lead would just result in a slow army chasing shadows across the map while taking constant gunfire. I was thinking what else the Necron could do to inflict damage on the enemy while turtling. I have to say upgraded Obelisk cooldowns and turrets can help on defense. But offensively, maybe it's best to try a mix of wraiths, flayed ones and the Necron Lord focusing down a power generator. While attacking the generator, employ Solar Pulse to nullify incoming gunfire. Once the generator is destroyed, Necron Lord and Flayed Ones can jump back to the Monolith. While Wraiths can phase shift out.

Game 2
Dark Eldar looks very unconvincing. Decaps a point, losing 2 mandrakes in the process. Not worth it. Deploys Hellion at 3rd minute. Too late. FC and 1 Space Marine squad are already defending. Tier 2 SM beats DE hard with Landspeeders. 2 - 0 Popiel.

To have a more competitive match would require Dark Eldar to play better. Because the slightest mistake on Dark Eldar end will be punished easily. And Dark Eldar is the hardest faction to make a comeback with. Their units are very fragile and expensive to reproduce.

Congratulations on the Greatly improved performance by Popiel. What a great fap this morning.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
A taste of things to come as Deso & Jaedar practices their respective matchday...

desocupado

Magister
So, I played against roxor, here are the replays

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0osik5vvwbiuxb7/deso_vs_roxor_game_1.rec/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/49zzlue5cvlc2v5/deso_vs_roxor_game_2.rec/file

Well. Roxor and Jaedar are by far the best dow players in the tourney. It was 2-0 for the chomik

I think I was at the top of my game in game 1. Didn't miss upgrades, the banner timing was good, but it wasn't enough to get a victory.

Game 2 was a bit embarassing. I never played necrons (picked the race because I wanted to try something new) against a better player than me, and it shows. It was an easy win for Roxor.

At least game 1 will be a good game to cast, I think.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
tfw nobs and mek teleport in just to get chained under the barrels of 8 upgraded heavy bolters

d96.jpg

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dropping from a semifinal spot in season 1 to zero points and ten out of eleven matches lost in the current season :o I might have underperformed a bit. To my defense, my real life schedule has been fucking me hard, until my standoff with Roxor I didn't have one single practise match, and one match day I had to duke it out on a laptop without a mouse. Having picked two races I'm absolutely unfamiliar with, plus one of them being the worst possible fit for my defensive playstyle didn't help much, either. That being said, I had lots of fun and am already excited for S3 next year :) Thanks Roxor for organizing and RK47 for casting and the constructive feedback!
Good luck @ the remaining participants!

RK47

Patron
Dropping from a semifinal spot in season 1 to zero points and ten out of eleven matches lost in the current season :o I might have underperformed a bit. To my defense, my real life schedule has been fucking me hard, until my standoff with Roxor I didn't have one single practise match, and one match day I had to duke it out on a laptop without a mouse. Having picked two races I'm absolutely unfamiliar with, plus one of them being the worst possible fit for my defensive playstyle didn't help much, either. That being said, I had lots of fun and am already excited for S3 next year :) Thanks Roxor for organizing and RK47 for casting and the constructive feedback!
Good luck @ the remaining participants!

should've picked the nub races. :)

JRIz

Augur
Yes, fucking 'Save Replay' button was grayed out. And this happened after the bug where you cannot do anything and have only fog of war when the game starts. So we had to restart game 3. DoW never bugged for me so far.

Below is the first game.

Game 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lmxx3ezbr5noxji/2P_MOONBASE.2019-09-01.12-25-40.rec/file

Not so much of an improvement on my side as I would have hoped. Tau Tier 2 was still very slow and there was a lot of bad micro. The relic on Frazier's Demise was without LP for almost the whole game.

I game 2, Bill successfully kept me inside my base with his SM. I think I could have captured more points in the meantime with the stealth suits. Tau commander could have helped against the FC with Acquire Target. Either faster Tier 2 or massing more FW in the beginning should have been the priority.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes, fucking 'Save Replay' button was grayed out. And this happened after the bug where you cannot do anything and have only fog of war when the game starts.

Happened to me against deso too. I was pretty surprised myself, because while the disconnection on game start is somewhat common in this game (I blame Steam, it never happened back in the gamespy days), I don't think I ever had it result in replay file corruption before.

RK47

Patron

Crazy messy game overall.
Game 1 SM v E
How in the world can a single squad of Assault Marine hold back a Guardian Squad, a Farseer, 2 squads of Dark reapers and a Howling Banshee squad?
Eldar spending a lot of time in Tier 1 not accomplishing much.
Did not get a single Dark Reaper Exarch to boost the dmg output.
SM hits T2 first and went GK + Chaplain. Skips FC completely. :/

Game 2 TAU v SM
:lol: Tau Commander is ... not optional in most match up. It was an ugly win for Space Marines. Who kept ignoring Fire Warriors. Just melee stance and lock on them. They're shit in melee and without snare, they have no hope of winning.

Game 3 TAU vs ELDAR
The most sane game of the 3 IMO.
Eldar looks lost in tier 2. Tau went Tier 2 first but has smaller a army, but somehow prevailed.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I game 2, Bill successfully kept me inside my base with his SM. I think I could have captured more points in the meantime with the stealth suits. Tau commander could have helped against the FC with Acquire Target. Either faster Tier 2 or massing more FW in the beginning should have been the priority.

Nope. Your priority should have been the TC. It's only with the TC's snares that Tau can be at the top of their game in T1, because otherwise you're just gonna get clobbered to death in melee.

RK47

Patron
Some casual play between Roxor and Deso.
Massive casualties on both sides.

desocupado

Magister
That shitty banner placement, is usually due to me being swamped with things to do. Say I'm microing 3 squads so they don't die, I just build the banners where the gretchin are, so I can go back at keeping my shit alive.

I'm not saying that's the best idea, just explaining it. I really gotta figure out a better way to place and defend those banners.

Nahel

Arcane
Nope. Your priority should have been the TC. It's only with the TC's snares that Tau can be at the top of their game in T1, because otherwise you're just gonna get clobbered to death in melee.

Can't he use kroots too? To force the sm in melee and protect the fw. But even in that case the tc is such a good source of dps that it should be made.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Kroots are a meme unit. I'm not even sure if they win against space marines, and even if they do, they sure as hell don't against commander boreale.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some after season thoughts:
More fasting and flagellation in order to git gud for the next one, to which I’m of course signing up when it’ll come around :salute:
On a lil’ more serious note. I won one matchup out of them all and I do understand why it happened the way it did. In the beginning I really didn’t know the game much, even less so than I know it now, I picked my races ‘cause of memes basically (especially bolt bitches were chosen for these wise reasons). What other players taught me is that focus and matchup awareness are supreme qualities of a true xiá DoW player. Attaining these skills takes getting to know the game, which is still a far goal for me, and ability to just fuckin’ concentrate, which is a problem bigger still. There are also things like lack of aggressiveness (which manifests in way too careful approach to some situations, truth be told at least two games I lost purely ‘cause of absence of deciding push in opportune circumstances) which are flaws inherited from playin’ DoW solo for years and from other games as well. In the end I learned much and I hope to improve in the future.
And trust in your OVERPOWERED INFERNO TURRETS always.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
gypsies appeared at my place and said they would play accordion all night by the windows if i didnt extend the match day until tomorrow

i hope you guys understand that i had to cave

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom