Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Ninjerk

Arcane
Had my first PvP encounter grinding whelps in the Wetlands. 28 Hunter killed me (26 Warrior), I killed him in return, then he managed to do me in before I left.

EDIT: It was exhilarating, btw. It motivated me to do some more work on my engineering so I can inch closer to having Iron Grenades.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
From my experience on private servers, I wouldn't say you can drastically outlevel zones. At the beginning, it's a bit easier to start seeing green quests, but at one point things get fairly even. It's good to be a bit ahead of the zone you are leveling in, so you know you aren't behind on xp or have to additionally grind mobs for xp. As for Ally vs Horde leveling, Alliance actually has the better quest design and choice of leveling zone. As I've said before, Barrens feels like an afterthought if you compare it to the Ally zones. Loch Modan, Redridge, Westfall and Duskwood all culminate in cool elite quests for the higher levels, Darkshore has the "beached sea creature" line and I'd say the zone's quests culminate in BFD, Horde zones don't really have this good of a pacing/structure. WC is kinda there and it's not really connected to all that is happening outside, or if it is, it's only connected to around Xroads/the oases.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Leveling does feel faster, but I have also changed my habits. Specifically, I am killing mobs along the way to any quest and regularly change zones to stay on yellow quests.

Leveling felt faster when i played on private servers too. I wondered whether they did something to it then but i guess i just sucked at wow back in the vanilla days. It's annoying because i'm a completist and i want to clear everything in an are and also do all the instances with all the quests as i level but it doesn't take a lot to out level a lot of the content you are engaged in.
All vanillla pservers had the TBC values because the mangos emulator was backported from the TBC one. Only Light's Hope had the fixed values in its last 8-9 months, if memory serves. So leveling was indeed faster.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Had my first PvP encounter grinding whelps in the Wetlands. 28 Hunter killed me (26 Warrior), I killed him in return, then he managed to do me in before I left.

EDIT: It was exhilarating, btw. It motivated me to do some more work on my engineering so I can inch closer to having Iron Grenades.

Must have been a bad Hunter to lose to a Warrior. Probably expected an easy gank because of the class superiority for PvP.

And yes, engineering is a must for PvP. Bombs also help for tanking.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
First time playing Classic, or a Warrior, or a tank.

Did 4 runs of DM.

Run 1: level 17, no gear - no problem. I lose aggro all the time, we wipe to VC once, but we're fine.
Run 2: level 18, nice gear from the quests - healer hits me with "why do you need heals, you wear armor," DPS does not exist.
Run 3: level 19, same gear - no problems, but people love to pull aggro from me
Run 4: level 20, excellent gear from DM drops - I hold aggro almost all the time, but we wipe once when the obscene amount of trash bores me enough to pull four pirates, four birds and a mage.

I was not prepared for the large amount of buttons and options warriors get. It's still no "Enjoy your 40 buttons!!" EQ2 but it's still, I daresay, somewhat complex.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Must have been a bad Hunter to lose to a Warrior. Probably expected an easy gank because of the class superiority for PvP.

And yes, engineering is a must for PvP. Bombs also help for tanking.

I think he was Wing Clipping into Retaliation.

Did 4 runs of DM.

Run 1: level 17, no gear - no problem. I lose aggro all the time, we wipe to VC once, but we're fine.
Run 2: level 18, nice gear from the quests - healer hits me with "why do you need heals, you wear armor," DPS does not exist.
Run 4: level 20, excellent gear from DM drops - I hold aggro almost all the time, but we wipe once when the obscene amount of trash bores me enough to pull four pirates, four birds and a mage.

I was not prepared for the large amount of buttons and options warriors get. It's still no "Enjoy your 40 buttons!!" EQ2 but it's still, I daresay, somewhat complex.

I'm not sure who had the most abilities, but shaman have a shit ton of totems.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Did 4 runs of DM.

Warrior is one of the more "engaging" classes, and thus one of the harder to play. I think it was designed by Rob Pardo and i believe the underlying idea was to create the illusion of actual gameplay. At some point you will also have to learn how to dance stance even for tanking.

The thing that makes warrior tanking feel engaging though is that there's actually no rotation, since it's all situational. A typical fight starts with pull, berseker rage, shield block and you start hammering on that revenge proc, with sunders in between and heroic strike if you can squeeze it in, later on shield slam before heroic strike. Now what's going to happen is that of course you gonna get more than one mob, so now you have to open with a demo shout and start sundering multiple mobs, use cleave instead of heroic strike and thunder clap if you get hard hitting mobs and you find an easy way to squeeze one in (gotta be in battle stance, so it needs planning). But see, since you are not gonna have the rage to do all this you have to start pick and choosing which ability you get to use and when. If there's a caster, you have to reserve shield bash for that. Disarm too should be available but only on demand. If taunt fails, you have to be ready to switch stance to get a quick mocking blow into the mix, which makes you feel like a pro the first time you pull it off.

It gets even more engaging if you pick engineering since you get some solid tanking utilities. So you see the rotation is not always "do this in this order all the time", it all depends on what you are facing, when, how, and in what way, and how much rage you have at a given moment and which skill is best to prioritize. There's also situations where you get to use stuff like charge and even intercept.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lyric Suite
You should have played EQ2 back when it was good my man; I was an assassin and I had - no joke - 35-40 abilities on my hotbars. There was no 'rotation' because they were all situational. There were some priorities, but it was a massive maze of 'this resets cooldowns', 'these can only be used flanking', 'stealthed only' etc., etc. It was really good times. Then of course you had a bunch more bars for items and potions so you ended up with ~80 icons on your screen. A nightmare for people trained by WoW to never click their mouse.
Shame that game died out, alas.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Playing Paladin again almost has me passing out from the excitement.

Pally is a group class i wouldn't recommend it if you are a loner. As mentioned before, healing and buffing people as you play, even random dudes it's own form of satisfaction and pally is best played in a group but if you don't care about that just don't play this kind of classes. Best way to make pally exciting solo is to play recklessly. Since you are so hard to kill you should be able to get away with a lot of pointless shenanigans that might actually slow your leveling down but will make the journey a bit less dull.

Also, pick engineering for some extra toys to play with.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lyric Suite
You should have played EQ2 back when it was good my man; I was an assassin and I had - no joke - 35-40 abilities on my hotbars. There was no 'rotation' because they were all situational. There were some priorities, but it was a massive maze of 'this resets cooldowns', 'these can only be used flanking', 'stealthed only' etc., etc. It was really good times. Then of course you had a bunch more bars for items and potions so you ended up with ~80 icons on your screen. A nightmare for people trained by WoW to never click their mouse.
Shame that game died out, alas.

WoW is basically the only MMO i've actually played, mostly because i had real life friends to play with and they are the ones that got me into it in the first place. The only other MMOs i tried are Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes because my roommate at the time was into them but i never gotten very far with those. I also vaguely remember trying some MMO that was based on pirates, but i cannot even remember what it was called.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Make sure to use some nice addons.

Bartender4 set up with button paging makes mastering class & keybinds easier while looking nice and not like some cluttered piece of shit.

Keshik

Arcane
Playing Paladin again almost has me passing out from the excitement.

Pally is a group class i wouldn't recommend it if you are a loner. As mentioned before, healing and buffing people as you play, even random dudes it's own form of satisfaction and pally is best played in a group but if you don't care about that just don't play this kind of classes. Best way to make pally exciting solo is to play recklessly. Since you are so hard to kill you should be able to get away with a lot of pointless shenanigans that might actually slow your leveling down but will make the journey a bit less dull.

Also, pick engineering for some extra toys to play with.

Oh yeah have done this already back in vanilla, on a PvP server no less. Certainly decided to level in hard mode there, haha.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Argh, it's so hard to decide. I watched a video on what Huntard is like and I expected it to be some boring shit that plays itself - and it can. But then it went into the pet RPG system, and how you can give your pet skills, and develop and teach them. And the kiting with auto-shot in the starting area was actually pretty fun as my now level 4 Dwarf...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
God damn.

Can't EVER find a group as rogue. Thanks for removing the LFG system, assholes. So now I ALWAYS have to make a group myself.

Gather a group to RFK. 10 minutes in tank says "g2g, girlfriend came". Fucker. The rest of the group crumbles even though I'm telling them I'll find a new tank. Fuckers.

Gather a second group to RFK. Tank is a guy who's playing FIRST TIME EVER. He can't pull right, he can't keep aggro. Priest doesn't drink between packs, runs out of mana, we wipe. WHAT THE FUCK.

I mean I play HoTS sometimes and I get my ass handed to me, I'm in bronze/silver, i.e. I'm worse than 80% players. And in Wow vanilla I stumble upon the biggest retards of the internet.

Yeah, I'm gonna skip dungeons. Fuck this shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I had a Deadmines run once where the hunter was melee-ing the whole time, the tank and rogue had the shittiest gear ever and the tank's health dropped like there's no tomorrow, I had to spam heals like crazy and drink all the time even though priests generally don't drink in dungeons very much, we wiped 4 times, I used SS 3 out of those 4 times, and only 2 of us were still alive when we killed VanCleef. The myth of the "better player" is ...a myth.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Deadmines run:

Guy: "LF 1 DPS DM."

Me: "I can dps invite."

Guy: "Oh another rogue, don't wanna roll for gear."

Me: "It's fine I don't need the sword off VC. It's yours. Free roll."

*Gets invited*

*VC drops Cruel Barb*

*I win the roll and leave group while they went to pull Cookie*

I still got it.

Btw I vendor'd that shit to buy the new Backstab rank. Welcome to Classic, KID.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
My hpally is level 34. Solo is like watching paint dry, but group content is another matter. I can keep the groups alive for a long time, whereas I notice other healers go oom fast. I do not know if that is a feature of pally at this level, or just that other players are spamming their most mana intensive spells. I notice a lot of priests spamming bubbles and renew. I even notice most paladins just spamming Holy Light.

I have not had this much fun in a long time bros. I played vanilla and TBC, but nothing has hit that itch since.

PapaPetro

God damn.

Can't EVER find a group as rogue. Thanks for removing the LFG system, assholes. So now I ALWAYS have to make a group myself.

Gather a group to RFK. 10 minutes in tank says "g2g, girlfriend came". Fucker. The rest of the group crumbles even though I'm telling them I'll find a new tank. Fuckers.

Gather a second group to RFK. Tank is a guy who's playing FIRST TIME EVER. He can't pull right, he can't keep aggro. Priest doesn't drink between packs, runs out of mana, we wipe. WHAT THE FUCK.

I mean I play HoTS sometimes and I get my ass handed to me, I'm in bronze/silver, i.e. I'm worse than 80% players. And in Wow vanilla I stumble upon the biggest retards of the internet.

git frens.

Seriously, it's why everyone is so fond of the classic social community; it required you to seek out people to party out of mechanical necessity, leading further to increased bonds and forming friendships (and inversely infamy).
When LFG and matchmaking came about, it turned everyone else into faceless bots to play with as everyone could just leverage the system.

cw8

Cipher
My hpally is level 34. Solo is like watching paint dry, but group content is another matter. I can keep the groups alive for a long time, whereas I notice other healers go oom fast. I do not know if that is a feature of pally at this level, or just that other players are spamming their most mana intensive spells. I notice a lot of priests spamming bubbles and renew. I even notice most paladins just spamming Holy Light.

I have not had this much fun in a long time bros. I played vanilla and TBC, but nothing has hit that itch since.

Paly's the most efficient single target healer in vanilla. Our main healer healing the MT is mostly a Paly and a Priest. While us Druids always feel like 2nd class citizens in raids. Not to mention you guys have blessing of wisdom.
Some of the healers probably don't know downranking heals is a must in Classic and that mana management is very important, unlike retail WoW where you almost never go OOM. Let them learn the hard way.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Paly's the most efficient single target healer in vanilla. Our main healer healing the MT is mostly a Paly and a Priest. While us Druids always feel like 2nd class citizens in raids. Not to mention you guys have blessing of wisdom.
Some of the healers probably don't know downranking heals is a must in Classic and that mana management is very important, unlike retail WoW where you almost never go OOM. Let them learn the hard way.
I assumed Hpally needed crit gear to get to that point. It just seems like priests are oom within the first 20 seconds, which leaves me playing triage the whole time.

Blessing of Wisdom is fucking amazing though.

cw8

Cipher
I assumed Hpally needed crit gear to get to that point. It just seems like priests are oom within the first 20 seconds, which leaves me playing triage the whole time.

Blessing of Wisdom is fucking amazing though.

Don't worry about Priests, we are their batteries.

cw8

Cipher
I had a Deadmines run once where the hunter was melee-ing the whole time, the tank and rogue had the shittiest gear ever and the tank's health dropped like there's no tomorrow, I had to spam heals like crazy and drink all the time even though priests generally don't drink in dungeons very much, we wiped 4 times, I used SS 3 out of those 4 times, and only 2 of us were still alive when we killed VanCleef. The myth of the "better player" is ...a myth.

And I always thought the retail WoW fuckers are better players than us, vanilla showboaters, due to their improved enemy mechanics.

JBro

Arbiter
God damn.

Sucks for you. I don't have a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom