Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

chuft

Augur
$30 for Deadfire plus all three content DLC's and the Explorer's Pack ("Obsidian Edition") on Fanatical at the moment.

Efe

Erudite
you focus on a few single skills so you can get ez xp out of some quest and encounters as early as possible.
you can also swap out characters to change boosted skills but what youre doing will hard lock you into values you end up with
good if you planned it all in advance.. sucks if playing for first time

Efe

Erudite
i'd agree if consumable effectiveness and some unique equipment didnt scale off with your skills..
as it is, you want to max out on those gains

I beat WM part 1. It was pretty fun tbh. I should've chose the level scale option though. I went into the Siege quest prior to the main campaign and when the game told me i'm overleveled for it, it made me confused a bit, so i didn't choose to uplevel the encounters. I'll do it for Pt.2. Also Devil of Cock is best devil.

_Vic_

Educated
Very good so far, they improved a lot. The classes are very balanced, good character creation, I liked very much the Ryrmgand expansion, and the TB Mode. Still a little light in RP but the game is fine.

Diggfinger

Arcane
The games are great. Both of em. I've gone from a hater to a fanboyspawn.

F*uck yeah. I'm 43H14min into PoE I and enjoying it like crazy. First game that enticed me to pull an all-nighter in years.

Going on my top-10 (top-5?) best games of all time for sure.
Can't wait to get started on Deadfire, which apparently is even better...

Last edited:

Lilarcor

Novice
The game is "Trout Mask Replica" of CRPG indeed.
Ahead of its time for many decades. It will be recognized as timeless masterpiece and will be taught in digital art academies somewhere in the future.
/s off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Atchodas

Augur
Deadfire still has plenty of unpolished skill and abilities that does nothing or does not do what they are supposed to do or just does not work in practice ( like bashing shields for example not scaling at all, arcane archer not getting penetration scaling on their subclass specific spells,tooltips being wrong and misleading etc. ) community patches fixes some of this but there is plenty of rushed shit remaining inside the game that will never be fixed by obsidian.

And then 50% of the gameplay time will be traveling trough areas you visited already where nothing interesting can happen on the way , too few combat encounters honestly for how much walking and talking you need to do also main story arc is disconnected from the rest of the game and you dont give a fuck about it at all.

Its nice to sandbox and build some crazy parties but then problem with all the Deadfire character building that you have to adjust too much to what Deadfire offers and cant build characters you want to build or they won't be good at all and this game has 55 multi class combinations + at least 8 different subclass combinations for every multi class character, you would expect more freedom in character building and not just abusing how certain items interact with certain abilities, because of new penetration and AR system you wont be able to do damage later in the game with at least half of all skills and abilities in the game because penetration scaling or boosting for those was just not implemented and there are very few ways to reduce enemy AR and those obviously does not stack, plenty of combat encounters are now filled with enemies who have Immunities , Resistances and just bloated AR in general which results in prolonged fights where you do nothing but slowly auto some stupid skeletons who cant kill you because of your high defences and heals, you can launch 8 fireballs on some undead and they will all be at 80% health, this can all be overcome by stacking certain effects and abusing mechanics(such as stacking +Power Level gear on basically any character that uses abilities to deal damage) but its just not good design in general.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I never played two last DLC and abandoned my last attempt at the full run right after arrival to main city. First 10 hours were genuinely fun but prolonged questing with tons of brilliant Obsidian writing and 0 proper dungeons on horizon until DLC end game content made me drop it. It is morbid how playing BGT after couple years of hiatus is endlessly more fun than shiny new Deadfire.

Okaish game for one playthrough still.

D!!

Educated
So, Dex is still the dump stat for TB mode or it was patched? From the Steam news it looks like last update was in May.

Finished the first game again. This time it was a definitive play-through (72 hours, did both DLCs, killed Adra dragon etc, all companion quests etc.). I still maintain that the RTwP system here is the best i've ever seen. The game's story and narrative is much better than you might think initially. Some companions are worse than others but they are all at least somewhat interesting if you give them time. Lot's of fantastic quests and lots of RP opportunities, specially when it comes to being evil. I think the last act (and the Glanfathans in general) are not as well done as the rest of the game though. I never managed to become interested in them despite my efforts. The Soulbound weapons added in the DLC is awesome. Abydon's Hammer deserves its own category when it comes to OP. Overall, it's an INCLINE game. I probably won't play it again because it's so damn large and i've got a huge list of RPGs to play, but i'm glad i gave the game its proper dues. Was not dissapointed. Sure, the game has bad things about it, but it also has a lot of good. It's BALANCED that way. :balance:

Atchodas

Augur
First pillars game is not even that bad compared to Deadfire especially considering that Deadfire is second game in a franchise that took like a decade to develop, and second part was supposed to improve from the first and they managed to fuck it up even more going from game 1 to game 2.

And then Avellone blames Obsidian management for all kinds of things when in reality its the developers team who are untalented bunch and this is evident considering how weak of the game they made with the resources they had, meanwhile lesser studios with less money makes better crpgs every year and then they actually surpass obsidian and gets to make BG3(larian) or just makes a better RTWP crpg (random Russian owlcats)

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
First pillars game is not even that bad compared to Deadfire especially considering that Deadfire is second game in a franchise that took like a decade to develop, and second part was supposed to improve from the first and they managed to fuck it up even more going from game 1 to game 2.

And then Avellone blames Obsidian management for all kinds of things when in reality its the developers team who are untalented bunch and this is evident considering how weak of the game they made with the resources they had, meanwhile lesser studios with less money makes better crpgs every year and then they actually surpass obsidian and gets to make BG3(larian) or just makes a better RTWP crpg (random Russian owlcats)

Deadfire is very competently made except for the writing, the (new)music and some of the underlying assumptions of the ruleset.

The visual design is some of the best seen in a isometric game if not the best and a quite a few of the quests are very well designed. It's such a shame that the writing is so underwhelming when it is what used to be the saving grace of Obsidian's otherwise mediocre games.

_Vic_

Educated
iMHO in POE2 improved a lot of things. Better character creation, more banters, factions, a world full of people and stories to unfold, original unique weapons, chatty companions, the fact that you can import your story from the first game, achievements to unlock things in the NG+... many people disliked the naval map-traveling, but I think its ok with the patches. The main story is sometimes a bit far-fetched, but they improved a lot in consistency in the DLC. The Ryrmgand one and the mages has some very good moments. The fact that you can play also in TB is a bonus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom