Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Beowulf

Arcane
Published by the Encased developers. Failed kickstarter several months back.

Only positive reviews with "Product recieved for free" checked.
Hmm...

About half of reviews have tag Product recieved from free, but there is still a dozen of regular reviews. Most are positive.
Out of 33 reviews only 1 is negative (but it does provide good points of why it is negative).

Not in English though, and I'm not going to switch to Russian to read Russian reviews of a Russian game.
I don't have a beef with the fact that some nationalities praise their developers, like Potatos with W3 and Pepiks with KC: D

The game might be good, but it just popped on my radar.

Since it seems to have some connection to russia ill try it out and leave positive impressions.
Give my your positve impressions first.

Last edited:

Your name is Rania. This is your first night working for Cloudpunk, the semi-legal delivery company based in the sprawling city of Nivalis. You go everywhere, from the Marrow below to the spires that pierce the grey clouds high above before scraping the edge of the troposphere. No delivery job is too dangerous, and no one is faster than a Cloudpunk driver.

cloudpunk_banner2_v2.gif

In this story-based cyberpunk game, you will meet a diverse range of characters including androids, AI and unscrupulous humans at every level of society. Everyone has a story, and in the course of one night in Nivalis, everything will change.

cloudpunk_banner3_v3.gif

Features:

• Explore an immense vertical cyberpunk city with your hover car and on foot
  • Unravel mysteries in a world of corporate conspiracy, hackers and rogue AI through the eyes of Rania
  • Meet a diverse range of characters and immerse yourself in their everyday lives
  • Your decisions will have a lasting impact on the inhabitants of Nivalis
  • Discover hidden places and items unlocking additional stories

By the way, they also made this:

Steam_gif.jpg

Creature in the Well is a top-down, pinball-inspired, hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. As the last remaining BOT-C unit, venture deep into a desert mountain to restore power to an ancient facility, haunted by a desperate Creature. Uncover and upgrade powerful gear in order to free the city of Mirage from a deadly sandstorm.

• Pinball with swords: Charge up energy orbs, then bounce and ricochet them to reactivate dormant machinery and stop the sandstorm.
  • Defeat the Creature: Escape the many challenges set by the Creature and confront it in intricate, skillful battles.
  • Dungeon-crawler: Delve deeper into the mountain as you unlock eight hand-crafted dungeons, each filled with unique gameplay themes, unlockables, and secrets to uncover.
  • Over 20 unique items: Customize your playstyle with upgradeable weapons and clothing that change how you play the game.
Steam_gif_2.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

I wonder if Cthulhu has nipples, they sure are milking Lovecraft to no end these last few years.

I can't even tell the difference between these games, they all look the same to me.

Welcome to the wonderful world of copyrights and trademarks. In some parts of the world all of Lovecraft's works are in the Public Domain (as opposed to just some of it) meaning it's fair game to money-grubbing bastards everywhere looking to cash in on someone else's success.

For reference, see how George Romero's failure to secure trademarks and copyrights to the term "zombie" led to the proliferation of zombie films, books and games that we all know today.

EDIT: Grammar.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Welcome to the wonderful world of copyrights and trademarks. In some parts of the world all of Lovecraft's work is in the Public Domain (as opposed to just some of it) meaning it's fair game to money-grubbing bastards everywhere looking to cash in on someone else's success.

For reference, see how George Romero's failure to secure trademarks and copyrights to the term "zombie" led to the proliferation of zombie films, books and games that we all know today.
The idea that someone's IP should be protected 100 years later by a government is absurd.
Do you know how long patents last in USA? 20 years. And that's still probably 10-15 years too long. Patents are for things that actually matter(e.g., inventions,) unlike copyrights.
The government should not be in the business of protecting cartoon drawings, and your own post is the best argument against it. Lovecraft & Romero's works have both directly impacted so much modern fantasy/sci-fi/fiction-in-general work that you'd be more likely to pick a game at random that does have a part inspired by them than one that doesn't.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tell me about it. Do you know how much exposure everyone has had of entertainment that's based off of Dracula and vampires? Why is that, I wonder? Could it be because of the Public Domain? By comparison, look at Conan the Cimmerian. The year the IP truly came into the Public Doman, Marvel Comics inducted him into its line-up of characters (See: Various current-era Conan-titles and Savage Avengers.)

Copyright is a straightjacket on IP. I foresaw this many years ago, and looking at it today it's only gonna get worse, ESPECIALLY as it's Disney who are the ones lobbying for the constant extensions in copyright law in the U.S. Their next wave of lobbyism is due in 2021-2022 in time for the current 2023 deadline on Steamboat Willie, which will make Mickey Mouse enter the public domain.

The straightjacket term is a reference to the original court ruling roughly a century ago where a judge ruled that recordings of music were subject to copyright, thereby ingraining the current system. As society has accelerated greatly in the ~100 years since then, options for budding musicians have only gotten fewer with every passing year... to the point where we will face a wall of creativity brought upon us by copyright. I would say that if we haven't faced that wall already (and spend massive time probing said wall for cracks) then we're gonna hit it very soon. And honestly, just look at the music industry today. It's in shambles. Wanna guess why that is?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Munchkin: Quacked Quest, co-op action adaptation of Steve Jackson's card game, developed and published by Asmodee Digital:

ss_b5cf241cc47da23f244230f69a35def5f927594a.600x338.jpg
ss_d40ca9d4c6057aae785e76e632f31d6d27dfcc65.600x338.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom