Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Sounds like magic is OP as fuck and makes the game boring. That's a shame... Was hoping to do a mage build replay one day.
Magic is *supposed* to be super powerful. I'm fucking sick of modern games nerfing mages to put them at the same level as fighters/rogues.

frajaq

Erudite
Paraphrasing my casual friend

"Greedfall's combat is easy because it requires no tactics or preparation. You can repeat the same strategy throughout the entire game and it will never fail."

mostly he's not wrong though lol, there are a few tricky fights later where resistance potions/antidotes are good to have yes but this game doesn't have a fucking stamina bar, you can easily parry (with a VERY generous parry window) or just dodge away forever

Sounds like magic is OP as fuck and makes the game boring. That's a shame... Was hoping to do a mage build replay one day.
Magic is *supposed* to be super powerful. I'm fucking sick of modern games nerfing mages to put them at the same level as fighters/rogues.
Magic is *supposed* to be suppressed and witches are *supposed* to be burnt on pyres. :whiteknight:

jf8350143

Liturgist
I can't seem to find any other way to get decent weapon and armour except just buy from the merchant. The boss from the main quest didn't give you anything other than some junk to trade for gold.

Also finished a quest where a native tricked me to do his dirty work and after I confront him I don't have any option to do anything about it. He just says "I lied to you, but now you are our friends because what you did for us", and the quest is finished. What the heck? I was at least expecting him to try murder me so no one would know about it.

Last edited:
My main problem with the combat system is that it's "trash oriented", meaning the average enemy is very easy to take on 1v1, and the challenge comes from facing a lot of them at once. I prefer systems where each enemy is challenging, ala Dark Souls, KCD, or BotW, so it feels like you have to be skilled to take them on. In Greedfall, the overall combat IS challenging on higher difficulty levels, but since the challenge comes from enemy numbers, it just feels underwhelming, like you are mowing through waves of trash.

For example, the parry window is ridiculously generous, even on Extreme, you can almost let it hang there and catch incoming strikes a second later. They HAVE to do it this way, with the current combat system, since you are parrying 2-4 enemies at once typically, but personally, I'd rather have tighter parries with a single challenging enemy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I can't seem to find any other way to get decent weapon and armour except just buy from the merchant. The boss from the main quest didn't give you anything other than some junk to trade for gold.

Also finish a quest where a native tricked me to do his dirty work and after I confront him I don't have any option to do anything about it. He just says "I lied to you, but now you are our friends because what you did for us", and the quest is finished. What the heck? I was at least expecting him to try murder me so no one would know about it.
You could find some gud unique items exploring. I am hoarding anything unique i find ;).

I do agree that the worst part of the game is that you play as a set character and you don't have a choice when it comes to such things. It is really annoying when he goes full on soap eyes and begin apologising about every single thing.

meaning the average enemy is very easy to take on
:nocountryforshitposters:
Ram up the difficulty and come tell me this shit. On hard and extreme you get your ass handled if you are shit at timing your dodges and attacks. For human enemies i mostly agree,they are a lot easier one on one,but many animals could fuck you up if your timing is wrong. The parry is a tad bit op,it is annoying that you could parry bullets and magic.

DeepOcean

Arcane
"Hey, to not be bored ignore magic and maybe guns a bit too. If the game is too easy, it is your fault." Sure guise, that makes me totally confident about the combat on this game.:lol:

Max Edge

Did you play Dragon Age: Inquisition and wish that it had more-dynamic combat? Did you play The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and wish that it let you build a party? GreedFall ($50) is here to split the difference, and so far, it looks like it's doing a pretty good job.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

I'm liking it overall, but there was a native chieftain who backstabbed De Sardet and I was offered no option to kill him for his impudence. De Sardet may not be cut out for the hard business of colonization.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Magic is *supposed* to be suppressed and witches are *supposed* to be burnt on pyres. :whiteknight:
if magic were real, magic users would literally rule the world now. the world empire would be ruled by high ranking, godly archwizards and witches. magic itself on the populous will be controlled with iron fist, so the ruling elite would monopolize it. either turn potential mages into their side by brainwashing or terminate them when they were young.

Overboard

Arcane
if magic were real, magic users would literally rule the world now.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbe5572f7-14b5-3b58-b297-59928ba904e5.jpg

Not sure if serious...

Seethe

Arbiter
Fucking eurojank. I should've known that codex liking this was a bad sign. It's always the same when it comes to third person action RPGs

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if magic were real, magic users would literally rule the world now.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbe5572f7-14b5-3b58-b297-59928ba904e5.jpg

Not sure if serious...
depending on what type of magics. say it's D&D like magic, which pretty much have limitless application, from combat to utility. without actual game balance to worry with, even low level mages would decimate regular soldiers. there is literally nothing a medieval army can do to someone who is magically enchanted, have skin made out of rocks, armor that reflect back damage, spits out fire and ice from their hands, summon creatures or charm their enemies to attack their allies, etc. a sufficiently strong arch mage probably could take out a whole garrison of a fortress.

if it's just cantrips, small witchcrafts, hexes, they they would probably be hunted down and killed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom