Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD recieves undue praise and favouritism from the Codex

You're right. PoE is a million times better
It unironically is.

3EetztZ.png

Don't trust this guy, is all I'm saying
I felt offended that i'm not yet awarded the literally Hitler tag and i thought i should do something about it.

Funposter

Arcane
Here's a list of AoD apologists who should be purged from Codex:
Tacgnol
Kyl von Kull
pizza_microwave
oscar
sorinmask

I will keep updating this list in my little black book. When the time is right, the CGB will pay your a visit.
The real list is Politician and Goral. Lurk harder.
Thank you fellow respectable codex citizen. Doing your part keeping the codex clean of apologist snowflakes is the real mark of a stand-up citizen!

Üstad

Arcane
Magical Skill Checks
This is the part that made me laugh. How would you like to see a skill check? It's a basic D&D mentality. Maybe Oblivion like persuasion minigame would make you guys satisfied.

jac8awol

Arbiter
I think Tides of Numenera had a similar flaw, which many would not even call a flaw. These games didn't force you to take a combat-oriented build. In AoD, I felt that I got an enjoyable experience from the CYOA aspects, just through skill checks, mostly avoiding combat, just to see where the story would lead. But when I had a similar experience in ToN, I felt that game was totally shit. Original Planescape was combat focused, combat item focused, you couldn't get away from combat at all, even though that game pushed the envelope on dialogue and diplomacy at the time. So when ToN went too far into CYOA territory I hated it. Mostly because it was too easy, and you could achieve any path you wanted no matter what your character build was. In that respect, I felt AoD was vastly superior, because it forces you to choose a role and dedicate yourself to it.

If anything, I hope Iron Tower's next game either sticks to the old Bioware path of making combat an unavoidable part that you just have to git gud at (unlikely), or embrace the min max CYOA heart of AoD (almost certainly). Well I'm interested to see what a party-based approach brings to the table, I guess it'll make things more naturally combat oriented.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
AoD is an incredibly easy game. You just have to figure out that it wants you to specialize rather than spread your points all over the place.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You're right. PoE is a million times better
It unironically is.

3EetztZ.png

Don't trust this guy, is all I'm saying
I felt offended that i'm not yet awarded the literally Hitler tag and i thought i should do something about it.

You don't desserve hitler tag so rated your post as cuck, also RPG Watch is this way.
Considering the number of actual scum (like you) who I've cucked in real life, i'm not very concerned.

Last edited:

mushaden

Scholar
Either you like AoD and you replay it many times to figure out hybrid builds and discover new aspects of the story/lore or you play it less than a couple times and shrug it off or bitch about it (unless you’re Jason Liang and you decide that you regret it all after playing as a completionist and thinking you were interested). Anyways, you’re probably not going to change anyone’s opinion. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone who has spent time with the game change their opinion of it after discussing here, whether they love or hate it. I think it’s safe to say most of us like it.

Also, I wonder how different the criticism would be if there wasn’t teleporting and skill checks written into the dialogue (I think you can turn those off already).

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The real testament to AoD’s quality is that it was made by, what, three or four guys in their spare time (even if it took forever), on a shoestring budget, yet we usually end up talking about all of their design decisions as though they were determined purely by Iron Tower’s CRPG philosophy. When arguing about the game, we rarely fall back on, “well, duh, time and budget constraints, what the hell did you expect?”

I think this speaks volumes given that there were enormous constraints:

Games are also a result of their development history as well. For many, many years, the only tool we had at our disposal was the dialogue editor. We were working part time, and also had to spend a lot of programming time fixing T3D bugs and combat tweaks. So that's why we used it so much. We didn't have time to implement sneaking systems, and only in the last part of development we started doing interactive objects. So we went back and tweaked many scenes, like for example entering Feng's house or the blacksmiths. In the final version, entering Feng's house is very freeform. You have to hover over the vines, climb, then you can click to lockpick the hatch door, and when you get inside you move around in sneak mode (with harder checks closer to Feng's door) and you can examine different objects that have skill checks. Sure, there's no "select skill -> use", and in general it's a single skill you can check, but it's what we could do with what we had.

I mean, jesus, ITS made most of this game with one hand tied behind its collective back, but no one even thinks to grade it on a curve.

Codex Year of the Donut
The real testament to AoD’s quality is that it was made by, what, three or four guys in their spare time (even if it took forever), on a shoestring budget, yet we usually end up talking about all of their design decisions as though they were determined purely by Iron Tower’s CRPG philosophy. When arguing about the game, we rarely fall back on, “well, duh, time and budget constraints, what the hell did you expect?”

I think this speaks volumes given that there were enormous constraints:

Games are also a result of their development history as well. For many, many years, the only tool we had at our disposal was the dialogue editor. We were working part time, and also had to spend a lot of programming time fixing T3D bugs and combat tweaks. So that's why we used it so much. We didn't have time to implement sneaking systems, and only in the last part of development we started doing interactive objects. So we went back and tweaked many scenes, like for example entering Feng's house or the blacksmiths. In the final version, entering Feng's house is very freeform. You have to hover over the vines, climb, then you can click to lockpick the hatch door, and when you get inside you move around in sneak mode (with harder checks closer to Feng's door) and you can examine different objects that have skill checks. Sure, there's no "select skill -> use", and in general it's a single skill you can check, but it's what we could do with what we had.

I mean, jesus, ITS made most of this game with one hand tied behind its collective back, but no one even thinks to grade it on a curve.
Merit doesn't get graded on a curve you stupid communist

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If you honestly believed that, you wouldn’t be so quick to defend everything made by Spiders.

Anyway, you missed the point entirely, which is that this is a good thing! No one thinks to to hold AoD to a lower standard (like, say, Spiders) and that reflects very well on Iron Tower.

Codex Year of the Donut

If you honestly believed that, you wouldn’t be so quick to defend everything made by Spiders.

Anyway, you missed the point entirely, which is that this is a good thing! No one thinks to to hold AoD to a lower standard (like, say, Spiders) and that reflects very well on Iron Tower.
I never said spiders games deserve special consideration due to financial constraints, dumbass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom