Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games where the player forms some sort of cult

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
That Which Sleeps
Also very disappointing suggestions so far, which makes me believe that this theme (managing a cult) is currently unexploited in videogames. Here's your million dollar indie game idea. Now go make it.

One of the games among those you call "disappointing suggestions" is exactly that idea, it's conveniently called Cultist Simulator, and it's presumably already made a million dollars (in revenue if not in net profit). What do you want?

That Which Sleeps
Also very disappointing suggestions so far, which makes me believe that this theme (managing a cult) is currently unexploited in videogames. Here's your million dollar indie game idea. Now go make it.

One of the games among those you call "disappointing suggestions" is exactly that idea, it's conveniently called Cultist Simulator, and it's presumably already made a million dollars (in revenue if not in net profit). What do you want?
I want to have amnesia so I can play Cultist Simulator again without already knowing everything about it. Anyways, the gameplay in that game leaves a lot to be desired.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
True, it involves a lot of busywork. You could try the original Black and White, I guess.

Huh. Damn. The Cultist Simulator talk made me wonder if the Book of Hours Kickstarter had started yet (Since I thought it was supposed to). I noodled over to the news tab for Cultist Simulator on Steam to see if there was any mention of it, and as far as I can tell the Kickstarter was SUPPOSED to launch on the 3rd of September, but they may be delaying it since the news tab also shows "Alexis Kennedy, co-founder of Failbetter and writer and designer on Fallen London, Sunless Sea and Cultist Simulator, has been accused of being an abuser and “well-known predator” by several prominent women in the games industry, including an allegation from a former colleague at Failbetter.". 'spose they don't want to launch their crowdfunding so soon after that, since it was posted on (Apparently) the 4th.

True, it involves a lot of busywork. You could try the original Black and White, I guess.
I've only played the sequel. Was a decent enough game though it did have its flaws. I might try it again tbh. Been a long time.

Huh. Damn. The Cultist Simulator talk made me wonder if the Book of Hours Kickstarter had started yet (Since I thought it was supposed to). I noodled over to the news tab for Cultist Simulator on Steam to see if there was any mention of it, and as far as I can tell the Kickstarter was SUPPOSED to launch on the 3rd of September, but they may be delaying it since the news tab also shows "Alexis Kennedy, co-founder of Failbetter and writer and designer on Fallen London, Sunless Sea and Cultist Simulator, has been accused of being an abuser and “well-known predator” by several prominent women in the games industry, including an allegation from a former colleague at Failbetter.". 'spose they don't want to launch their crowdfunding so soon after that, since it was posted on (Apparently) the 4th.
You can't make that much money without being accused of something.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
I've only played the sequel. Was a decent enough game though it did have its flaws. I might try it again tbh. Been a long time.

The sequel is a much more traditional, RTS-like experience -- uncharitably, a cynical cash-grab follow-up -- compared to the first, which is truly an inspired game. It has its flaws, but wears them proudly. For what it at least tries to do, it has my respect.

The sequel is a much more traditional, RTS-like experience -- uncharitably, a cynical cash-grab follow-up -- compared to the first, which is truly an inspired game. It has its flaws, but wears them proudly. For what it at least tries to do, it has my respect.
Really? i didn't know that. i thought the second game is the superior one. i'll add it to the list.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

Yeah, it's indefinitely postponed. Aside from the mental toll from the allegations two of their employees also quit, leaving them with, afaik, only 3 people, guess it'll be a while until we hear from the kickstarter again.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Smash Bros Melee, although that's more part of the metagame once you start going to tournaments.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I don't think any game has accurately depicted a cult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom