Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 1&2 PBEM

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
There's not many people playing the first two Age of Wonders games these days, but I have managed to revive PBEM a bit at the GoG forums. I see a lot of people here with Age of Wonders avatars so this should be a good place to look for players. The Brazilian Slaughter for one (how do I tag people?) would be interested in a big PBEM with a lot of Codexers in it.

Relevant links:
Age of Wonders Email Wrapper - http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1122
'showscene crash' bugfix for AoW1 - https://github.com/int19h/aow-patch/blob/master/README.md

Dayyālu

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter

You tag people with @ and user name

I bet AoW it's very fun in MP, and Codexers are usually more faithful and relaxed in their MP habits. I hope you'll find enough players, sadly, I'm a Dominions guy, no time for AoW. I wish you luck!

Also, Welcome to the MP subforum, or the People's Republic of MP Gaming.

ZNA.jpg

It's a cozy place! Stay a while!

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
how does PBEM in AoW work? I'm more keen for AoW2 than AoW1 because the first one, from my experience - you just stack defense on your main guy and cheese indies with physical immunity

Vatnik
how does PBEM in AoW work? I'm more keen for AoW2 than AoW1 because the first one, from my experience - you just stack defense on your main guy and cheese indies with physical immunity
PBEM goes from one person to the next (the dom5 simultaneous-centralised system sounds very cool to me). Therefore you can never have manually controlled battles between players. In ye olde days people would manually send emails to each other with the savegame files, and manually download the files to play their turns, but the Email wrapper does all that once you set it up (which can be confusing). I don't even need to open my browser to send and receive turns to play now, I just need internet connection - and to have signed into the email at some point on that computer. I don't know if that answers your question entirely?
It's possible to set up a PBEM game with yourself - ie inputting your own email for two different players - to check if it's working, which is nice.

Does Dominions 5 have the sort of email wrapper thing that Age of Wonders has? It seems to not have one, because surely I would have heard of it by now; but wasn't the game developed always with PBEM in mind? Then again, the devs are apparently the groggiest of grognards, and they have day jobs. I guess we got lucky with a technically savvy Age of Wonders fan who made our Wrapper.

AoW1's heroes are massively broken, which devalues and throws the balance off for normal troops, but we are considering mods to ameliorate it. And even they struggle against player archer stacks - there's a minimum chance to hit of 10%, when then ''critical'' lands it rolls max damage, and even the strongest hero can generally only kill one archer per round with his attacks (although he can kill any number of weak melee troops defensively with retaliations). Archers fire two arrows per round, and get to shoot first even in autocombat because they're ranged - so 8 archers versus 1 superhero will get 72 arrows off, landing about 7.2 arrows, for about 14.4 damage, and heroes start with 10 HP (though you can buy more on levelup)
Anyway, I have no preference between the two.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
In Dominions PBEM everyone and their dog uses Llamaserver, you email your pretender file (found in savegames/newlords) and then every turn, you get an email from Llamaserver with a <gamename>.trn file.

You put the .trn file into <gamename> folder, start the game and it's under your "saved games"... you load it up as normal and do your turn, once you finish, you reply to the email from Llamaserver with a .2h file the game produces after you finish and save your turn.

Once Llama as all the 2h files or the timer runs out, it processes the turn and sends them out again.

Not being able to control battles in AoW2 seems like a bummer, I'd be keen to play a real-time simultaneous turns game one day though.

Vatnik
Gonna bump this thread since we can do with an extra player at gog.com/forum/age_of_wonders_series

While playercount is low, I AM pleased with the maps I've made recently. We play AoW1, AoW2:SM, and the AOW2 MPE mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom