Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your TOP 5 favorite rpg settings!

Tell us you Top 5 fave settings

• Total voters

Funposter

Arcane
TES, but only Morrowind and Daggerfall, which are different enough to effectively be two different settings
Whatever the fuck the world of Demon's Souls is called
Darklands also known as the Fantasia Arc of Berserk
VTMB what with the whole wormwood thing going on
ummmm the setting for Age of Decadence is probably the most fun thing about the game until you reach the ending

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
To be honest I like classical fantasy, post-Tolkien settings the most. The details are not important, it could be FR or some generic world, crafted for this or that game. I like elves, dwarves, knights, dark wizards in dark towers, evil dragons etc. But everything is a matter of execution. Both Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter 2 are seted in FR, but I like world of BG much more than NW. One of my fawourites is Ancient Universe from M&M3-5 games.

I trully hate "deconstructionism" in cRPGs. I hate modern problems forced into fantasy RPGs. I hate when RPG tries to tell a story about "intoleranca" or "racial hatred" instead of, you know, about killing dragons and goblins.
I also hate when pseudo-medieval setting is changed to be simillar to modern standards.

One setting which I like and which is, strangely, almost absent in cRPGs is classical Conan-like sword&sorcery world. I really wish to experience good cRPG setted in Hyborian Age.
After it was popularized by the LotR movies I cannot stomach classic high fantasy settings anymore.

Codex Year of the Donut
I disagree with drawing a close comparison between FR and LotR. FR is to high magic as what high magic is to low magic.
Essentially,
image.png

Also, FR is big enough and bloated enough to be multiple separate campaigns with how varied different parts of the world(s) are.

Kliwer

Savant
I always preferred Greyhawk to FR

I also prefer Greyhawk however there are not many computer games in this setting. I think only Temple of EE and some NWN modules.

In fact I am not a fun of FR. I even prefer Dragonlance.

In my P&P adventures I mostly lead FR camaigns but only becouse in my country it was only aviable set of books when I was young and from those times I have a big collection of this manuals. In P&P adventures base setting is not so important becouse Dungeon Master could change everything. "My private Faerun" is much more simillar to Tolkien's world.

Kliwer

Savant
After it was popularized by the LotR movies I cannot stomach classic high fantasy settings anymore.

I understand this point of view. I like LotR movies but their atmosphere is so shallow in comparison to books. Especially elves are shit.

Gibson

Learned
I trully hate "deconstructionism" in cRPGs. I hate modern problems forced into fantasy RPGs. I hate when RPG tries to tell a story about "intoleranca" or "racial hatred" instead of, you know, about killing dragons and goblins. I also hate when pseudo-medieval setting is changed to be simillar to modern standards.

One setting which I like and which is, strangely, almost absent in cRPGs is classical Conan-like sword&sorcery world. I really wish to experience good cRPG setted in Hyborian Age.

QFT and +1 on both parts.

I understand this point of view. I like LotR movies but their atmosphere is so shallow in comparison to books. Especially elves are shit.

LotR books are a good read, but all one needs to know about them is summarized in "cliffs notes" in The Silmarrillion, which is an awsome read.
also Elves and their kitschy faggotry, no matter if in books/movies or games, are lame AF. The best perspective on Elves can be found in Terry Pratchetts Discworld. Dwarves on the other hand...Dwarves are legit badass.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Glorantha, or the world of RuneQuest and King of Dragon Pass is a superior fantasy world in every sense. For instance, the deities and respective cults are very meticulously defnied.

76acfe6e4e56907f28f75b27b8be3cf5.jpg

May Ralzakark grant you its blessings.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
  1. Tamriel (only the lore until Morrowind)
  2. World of Darkness
  3. Dark Sun
  4. Deus Ex 1
  5. World of the Souls Trilogy

Oh come on, how can people vote in that bland shit called Forgotten Realms? :?
People voted for dark souls and it's not even an rpg

Neither is STALKER. Yet Deus Ex 1 is anywhere to be seen.

Dark Souls is popamole

Dark Souls is mediocre ripoff of "Severance: Blade of Darkness" and "Die by the Sword".

It's not trying to be the same type of game, so it can't be considered a ripoff or that much compared aside from the combat - since DS focus on exploration, world building and athmosphere and Severance focuses exclusively on the action.
DS like DeS is a spiritual sucessor to FROM's Kings Field series.
Also DS is much better than Die by the Sword, gfto.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum
Planescape
Dark Sun
Morrowind (Oblivion killed the setting so post-MW ES games are meh)
Shadowrun

honorable mentions: Geneforge, Planet's Edge

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, and if we include pnp:s(*), Pondsmith's CP2020 is superior to Shadowrun. Still not an item on the poll. But I've played with the same group for only some 25-30 years, so it could be just some initial enthusiasm, that is bound to soon wear off.

(*) soon a crpg

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
I voted for Bloodborne. Yarnham was superb. I prefer the lovecraft influence over Dark Souls, though that was good too.

EverlastingLove

Learned
Planescape
Dark Sun
World of Darkness (VTM Redemption/Troika's Bloodlines, not the new crap)
Darklands
Arcanum

Honorable mention: Star Control 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom