Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
1569447921260.png

teganguess

Barely Literate
How would you balance yourself without crafting on Hard or higher?
I am quite experienced in the game but I never much cared for spending points in sciences and hunting down components to make gear or weapons. I usually take biology though, because everything you need is sold all at once by doctors and because you usually only need fish or plants.
I am usually skill-point starved as it is and I can't imagine putting sizeable points into non-combat skills.

ciox

Liturgist
Good meme and reminder that I must have played like 7 builds now and still haven't played a 0 MP metal armor build.

To be fair the craziest build of all is something I am even further away from touching, the dreaded, the terrible, the UNSPEAKABLE....no crafting build.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Definitely abnormal. It used to be much faster, yeah, but it still should load in around 15 seconds on that hardware. I've no idea why some people are having these ridiculous loading times. Makes me think of some crapware antivirus molesting .NET executables on their startup. Dunno.
I have no problem with slowdowns during area transition, but my statup time ranges between half a minute and three minutes. I have this loading scrolling bar visible for a long time before I get to the title screen. I first noticed this when I installed the game on my work laptop in January, and I assumed it's something to do with the work laptop itself or with Windows 10.

On my wife's laptop, also Windows 10, the game takes about a minute and a half to load. However, there is also a different problem there. Instead of a loading animation there is a black rectangle in the center of the screen before eventually the title screen shows up. Once the title screen has showed up, the mouse pointer looks like Underrail's mouse pointer but with Windows' mouse pointer on top of it, and if you click anywhere, you are alt-tabbed out of the game, and have to alt-tab back in. This cycle repeats twice, and on the third time the menu items on the title screen become clickable. I assume there is something wrong with rescaling the game window to take up the whole screen.

Trashos

Arcane
Burrowers? Yeah, just energy shield. Also they're a pretty low level enemy found in very specific places that you'll pass by on your route to OP powerdom, you really don't need to worry about them so much.

I 'd say burrowers are the most dangerous mid-level opponents. Yeah, I don't really die to them, but they often get me worried when they pile up, as they tend to do. Energy shields don't last long at that point in game. Traps don't work much against them either, as the spawns tend to "disable" traps.

Now, I wouldn't equate burrowers to crawlers or anything, but the point is that it is hard to come up with a systematic approach against burrowers. Sometimes I find myself running for the exit.

hell bovine

Arcane
haven't played a 0 MP metal armor build.
Fun with locusts guaranteed.

A mobile shotgunner without crafting shouldn't be too difficult, even on hard. The unique shotguns are not bad and you could use Dragunov as a back up weapon for long distance kills. The only problem is that tungsten trainshot is quite rare, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can manage with only boarshot. For dominating I'd say a pure psi is probably your best bet for a non-crafting build.

ciox

Liturgist
Good meme and reminder that I must have played like 7 builds now and still haven't played a 0 MP metal armor build.

To be fair the craziest build of all is something I am even further away from touching, the dreaded, the terrible, the UNSPEAKABLE....no crafting build.

its not dreaded as there are a number of builds that focus around uniques. If you want trully something, do no uniques challenge too.
I think it could be fun with some sort of high mercantile, versatile + throwing build. Afaik high merchant gives you access to mk4-5 grenades?

I'm curious to hear more about them. They sound like they'd be pretty tough on anything above Normal, provided you don't abuse the hell out of traps and stuff like that anyway.
You can get mk4 grenades with mercantile yeah.
If I had to say the easiest for a no crafting and no uniques build would probably be the typical AR/Sniper build, you find plenty of ok guns of that type lying around, just no 2-shot snipers unless you use the Dragunov.

haven't played a 0 MP metal armor build.
Fun with locusts guaranteed.

A mobile shotgunner without crafting shouldn't be too difficult, even on hard. The unique shotguns are not bad and you could use Dragunov as a back up weapon for long distance kills. The only problem is that tungsten trainshot is quite rare, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can manage with only boarshot. For dominating I'd say a pure psi is probably your best bet for a non-crafting build.

I found shotgunner to be extremely lacking at range last time I tried one, and that was shotguns+TM so movement points were very high and I could use temporal distortions.

Psi is somewhat OP once again I guess, then again, maybe slightly balanced in that you almost never find good psi gear just lying around, not until the staves in Expedition anyway. (psi armor is crafting only, as are headbands with any enhancements beyond maybe mufflers)

Tigranes

Arcane
Claw glove isn't super great these days, I think. I considered going for Balor at one point, but by the time you get to 20 STR the best parts of the game are all over, so you'd want to make sure the build is actually fun on the way there too. I do think it'd be something to walk into the native lands with it and start swinging.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
I found shotgunner to be extremely lacking at range last time I tried one, and that was shotguns+TM so movement points were very high and I could use temporal distortions.

Early on, yes. Things get better once you get leading shot, and not a problem once you are 20+. By the end game I want ~50% accuracy so I can kill more than one enemy with one shot.

ciox

Liturgist

Early on, yes. Things get better once you get leading shot, and not a problem once you are 20+. By the end game I want ~50% accuracy so I can kill more than one enemy with one shot.

That's worth a shot, yes, my old shotgun character had poor DEX and didn't have Leading Shot, the investment was very high PER and WIL instead.

This is the new shotgun character I was theorizing for maximum potency and survivability, though I won't play him anytime soon since I played a similar character fairly recently. (SEIKO PROSPEX)

STR: 6
DEX: 4
AGI: 5
CON: 9
PER: 8
WIL: 3
INT: 5

Level 4: +1 DEX for Leading Shot at Level 6
Level 8: +1 CON, Thick Skull
Level 12: +1 STR, Full Auto

Feats: Suppressive Fire, Opportunist, Sixth Shell, Kneecap Shot
Armor: Greater Siphoner Jumpsuit, Greater Siphoner Tabis (fast movement despite lack of sprint and agility)
Psi: stuff that doesn't require skill/will to do well, Temporal Utilities, Cryokinesis guaranteed damage, Cryostasis, Forcefield

epeli

Arcane
Definitely abnormal. It used to be much faster, yeah, but it still should load in around 15 seconds on that hardware. I've no idea why some people are having these ridiculous loading times. Makes me think of some crapware antivirus molesting .NET executables on their startup. Dunno.

I have no problem with slowdowns during area transition, but my statup time ranges between half a minute and three minutes. I have this loading scrolling bar visible for a long time before I get to the title screen. I first noticed this when I installed the game on my work laptop in January, and I assumed it's something to do with the work laptop itself or with Windows 10.

On my wife's laptop, also Windows 10, the game takes about a minute and a half to load. However, there is also a different problem there. Instead of a loading animation there is a black rectangle in the center of the screen before eventually the title screen shows up. Once the title screen has showed up, the mouse pointer looks like Underrail's mouse pointer but with Windows' mouse pointer on top of it, and if you click anywhere, you are alt-tabbed out of the game, and have to alt-tab back in. This cycle repeats twice, and on the third time the menu items on the title screen become clickable. I assume there is something wrong with rescaling the game window to take up the whole screen.

It loads in 5-17 seconds on my win10 boxes. Probably something to do with software configuration on the laptop, though. Poorly optimized .NET runtimes or old and bloated Windows/.NET install could conceivably bring the startup time up to half a minute, but multiple minutes seems over the top to me. As if something external is slowing down .NET process startup, like I said before.
You know how java and javascript games ship their own java runtimes and javascript engines these days? It's to control the user environment, to prevent issues like this. Not an option for .NET games, as far as I know. They'll have to do with whatever fucked-up .NET installation the end-users happen to have on their machines. And I guess XNA makes things even less predictable. Whatever happened to good old compiled software...

Your wife's scenario sounds like an old version of the game. It used to have that black rectangle screen (it was placeholder for logo, apparently) instead of loading bar and some people had issues like what you described. Updating the game should fix that.

PrettyDeadman

It loads in 5-17 seconds on my win10 boxes. Probably something to do with software configuration on the laptop, though. Poorly optimized .NET runtimes or old and bloated Windows/.NET install could conceivably bring the startup time up to half a minute, but multiple minutes seems over the top to me. As if something external is slowing down .NET process startup, like I said before.
You know how java and javascript games ship their own java runtimes and javascript engines these days? It's to control the user environment, to prevent issues like this. Not an option for .NET games, as far as I know. They'll have to do with whatever fucked-up .NET installation the end-users happen to have on their machines. And I guess XNA makes things even less predictable. Whatever happened to good old compiled software...

Your wife's scenario sounds like an old version of the game. It used to have that black rectangle screen (it was placeholder for logo, apparently) instead of loading bar and some people had issues like what you described. Updating the game should fix that.
Game takes to launch 1+minutes on my laptop.
Fresh win10 install on 970evo samsung ssd, i5 8250u and 16 gb of 2600hz ram.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How would you balance yourself without crafting on Hard or higher?
I am quite experienced in the game but I never much cared for spending points in sciences and hunting down components to make gear or weapons. I usually take biology though, because everything you need is sold all at once by doctors and because you usually only need fish or plants.
I am usually skill-point starved as it is and I can't imagine putting sizeable points into non-combat skills.
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

Psi-Sniper with Psychokinesis and Thought Control can get by on hard no problem just by using Dragunov and a picked up 12.7 sniper for tougher enemies. Switch it out for Black Arrow once you get it in DC. I one-shotted Tchort for 2k damage no problem, and I hadn't even specialized all the way into snipe. I was like level 25, but still.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
So I've listened to all of you faggots and decided to give Underrail a try.

I started, talked to everyone in the base, headed north and immediately get eaten by the rathounds.

Guys, should I continue?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

I started, talked to everyone in the base, headed north and immediately get eaten by the rathounds.

Guys, should I continue?
25449.jpg

ItsChon said

Yes. Did you research a build? Might have gimped yourself from the start if it's shit.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Guys, should I continue?
Yes. Did you research a build? Might have gimped yourself from the start if it's shit.

So its metagaming again(

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Guys, should I continue?

So its metagaming again(
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

It's not metagaming. If you put 5 points into every single skill, anyone with a brain could tell you that you have a retarded build. Perhaps you made such a mistake. In the old days, you would experiment with various different builds to see what works and what doesn't, eventually completing the game with a build that you cobbled together through the time you spent learning the game. People nowadays have no attention span, and such things are often too difficult for their pea-sized brains to handle. So, in an attempt to help you avoid all the trial and error which would likely end up with you rage quitting, I'll go over your build and give you some suggestions on what to do to ensure it's actually viable.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Guys, should I continue?

So its metagaming again(
It's not metagaming. If you put 5 points into every single skill, anyone with a brain could tell you that you have a retarded build. Perhaps you made such a mistake. In the old days, you would experiment with various different builds to see what works and what doesn't, eventually completing the game with a build that you cobbled together through the time you spent learning the game. People nowadays have no attention span, and such things are often too difficult for their pea-sized brains to handle. So, in an attempt to help you avoid all the trial and error which would likely end up with you rage quitting, I'll go over your build and give you some suggestions on what to do to ensure it's actually viable.

Fair enough.
For some reason game won't allow me to make a screenshot, so I'm writing my starting build down:

Strength 5
Dexterity 6
Agility 5
Constitution 5
Perception 7
Will 6
Intelligence 6

Goromorg

Savant
Fair enough.
For some reason game won't allow me to make a screenshot, so I'm writing my starting build down:

Strength 5
Dexterity 6
Agility 5
Constitution 5
Perception 7
Will 6
Intelligence 6
Man, take a look at the feats before distributing base stats. This game rewards specialization in one combat skill, so sniper build, for example may look like:
Strength 7
Dexterity 3
Agility 6
Constitution 4
Perception 10+
Will 3
Intelligence 7

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom