Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 style?

Should F3 have a realistic style, or be stylized?

• Realistic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stylized

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jung

Liturgist
The seamy underbelly of your seamy underbelly
Should F3 have a realistic style, or be stylized simillar to XIII?

EDIT:I don't mean exactly like XIII. It could have "Fallout" style that is not going for photorealistic like like most 3D shooters. Should it have more of a comic bookish look or gritty and realistic? When I play I kind of feel like it's going for an old comic book look. I don't know, with the new 3D engines you can make it look however you want, and I am just wondering what what others are thinking when they play FO1, whose graphics leave a bit to the imagination. When I play FO3, I don't want to mistake it for FarCry

http://www.xiii-thegame.com/uk/screenshots.php?mode=xbox

XBOX_03.jpg

Voss

Erudite
why the hell would it be stylized? Particularly like that?
I mean, a super hero game- I could see it, maybe. But fallout already has its own style and that kind of crap just wouldn't fit.

and on the other hand, no game looks 'realistic', so this poll is completely pointless.

lamat- it consists of bad art.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
that's a theme, not a style and it was balanced by the whole madmax warrior of the wastes angle.

brown, and lot's of it.

Jung

Liturgist
Voss said:
why the hell would it be stylized? Particularly like that?
I mean, a super hero game- I could see it, maybe. But fallout already has its own style and that kind of crap just wouldn't fit.

and on the other hand, no game looks 'realistic', so this poll is completely pointless.

lamat- it consists of bad art.

I didn't mean exactly like XIII. It could have "Fallout" style that is not going for photorealistic like like most 3D shooters. Should it have more of a comic bookish look or gritty and realistic? When I play I kind of feel like it's going for an old comic book look. I don't know, with the new 3D engines you can make it look however you want, and I am just wondering what what others are thinking when they play FO1, whose graphics leave a bit to the imagination. When I play FO3, I don't want to mistake it for FarCry :D

Human Shield

Augur
This is a bad question.

Fallout should keep the art style to fit the world. The Fallout world itself is stylized, the way the buildings, clothes, items, haircuts look is part of the setting. Keeping that look is important.

Photorealistic graphics with the same style of buildings and clothes etc... would look fine. Trying to make it "realistic", with inner-city ghetto style buildings and fashions (ala FO:POS to a degree), or new anime robots and power armor (ala FOT) would be stupid.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
I think you might not have understood the question. It looks to me that he's not asking about changing the "Future of the 50's" thing, rather he's asking something along the lines of: Should the visuals attempt photorealism? Should they try to emulate the look of a comic book?

Jung

Liturgist
Amerestatistic said:
I think you might not have understood the question. It looks to me that he's not asking about changing the "Future of the 50's" thing, rather he's asking something along the lines of: Should the visuals attempt photorealism? Should they try to emulate the look of a comic book?

Yes, exactly. Thanks.

Human Shield

Augur
Amerestatistic said:

The world itself should look stylized with or without fancy graphics. Do you want a comic drawn in classic way or a more detailed way, either way Superman is going to be stylized. In that regards Fallout has always been good with detailed graphics.

In other words, Fallout should still look like a comic book even with realistic graphics.

JJ86

Liturgist
Realistic? Like STALKER? Even that isn't realistic, there is some stylized graphics effects to it. The Fallouts have a stylized graphical rendering which would be good to keep.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Fallout 3 should retain it's 1950s pulp sci-fi comic look to it. That's about all I think I have to say about that.

evilmonkey

Liturgist
I agree with Saint in this - Fallout 3 should retain it's 1950s pulp sci-fi comic look to it

But I am to work on it a little.
FO & post apoc: Fo is not clean, the bang not so far off that the world would have the time to go all polished before the story in the game can start. As such you can't render it crisp and clean straight off - you must in some way portray the landscape and the dystopia correctly - be that with cel shading or with various other pixel shaders and techniqes in the programmers and artists bibles of current or coming knowlage.

But of course it is up to the makers of the game to decide the way, after all the render is more like the typography in a book, it needs to give the viewer the content in the best possible way, but there is a reason for cheap pocket books and the fact that they sell despite poor typography - but anyway my guess is a fairly clean render, with - perhaps if we are lucky - some focus pixel shader, dust and fog thrown in if they decide on the FPS view (focus is the biggest thing to hit FPS visuals, while of course fog and dust is the old classic fps FPS saver). Perhaps some lightning effects, as it would help (besides the needed lights)

Of course any eye candy effect that wraps up the content correctly is wanted if the devs have the time to work them into the game.

& if going with a FPS view I would hope their new engine can work with the new shader effects - and most of the dirt and grit and 50s feel can as such be worked into the models - making it easy to regulate the data for each frame depending on distance/visuals etc.

Comment: A cel shading like in ZtWW or upcoming Killer 7 would hardly work, so it follows up with some problems - FO needs to be gritty and muddy, dusty & torn and to get the dirt current Cel Shading effects I've seen in apps like Maya is just way to heavy to render in RT even when keeping it simple.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
No, it's supposed to look like an old 1950s pulp comic book. I doubt traditional cel shading would work for that look, though.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
While imagining Fallout from a first-person perspective, I see detail. The post-apocalyptic setting would really come alive in a realistic first-person viewpoint (if they do nothing else - Bethesda should be able to do this.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom